Shopping Discussion

Returning Boots to Walmart after 90 days?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2010 9:46 am
[OP]
Jan 20, 2010
27 posts
2 upvotes

Returning Boots to Walmart after 90 days?

I have a pair of boots I want to return. I bought them on April 1, so they're about 107 days old.

Do you think it's possible to return them now?

I've got the receipt but I'm not sure if I should try to use it, or tell them I bought them a month ago and don't have the receipt.

Even if I could just get a store credit or exchange it would be great.

Any suggestions?
28 replies
Nov 17, 2009
251 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
After 90 days it's YMMV, but I'd say that if the boots are unworn, in the box with tags, with a receipt you got a shot.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2010
27 posts
2 upvotes
They've been worn (are falling apart), and I have no tags or box...

I guess I'll try with the receipt.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11540 posts
2947 upvotes
GTA
billy08 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2010 9:09 pm

Let us know what they say please.

:)
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
billy08 wrote:

wow really? good luck :rolleyes:
Nov 17, 2009
251 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
If this is a quality/defect issue, you should take this up with the mfg. I had a pair of shoes refunded by the Shoe Co. after about 10 months because they were labeled as waterproof, but in fact were not (I saved the box). I contacted Timberland and they worked it out with the store.

If you just wore them out, well, I don't really know what to tell you
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
62 upvotes
Burlington
I hope all the people complaining about the new HBC return policy read this thread and understand that its because of people like this that these restrictive return policies are put in place.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2004
3577 posts
499 upvotes
Richmond
vlasko29 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2010 9:25 pm
If this is a quality/defect issue, you should take this up with the mfg. I had a pair of shoes refunded by the Shoe Co. after about 10 months because they were labeled as waterproof, but in fact were not (I saved the box). I contacted Timberland and they worked it out with the store.

If you just wore them out, well, I don't really know what to tell you
QFT.

I had a manufacturing defect issue with something after the 90 day return period, but I called WM just in case they might do something. The CSR I spoke to said that it was out of their hands because it was beyond 90 days, and I would have to call the manufacturer (which I did).
Nov 17, 2009
251 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
But Walmart can certainly help logistically by performing an even exchange or a refund, as per the mfg. guidance.

If the manufacturer accepts the issue as a warranty claim, it's much easier for everyone for it to be handled at the store (as was done in my case). And there are savings of shipping costs for both parties (especially in case of low-value bulky items such as some furniture and luggage) and the net effect is the same - the defective product is returned to the mfg.

I believe in the past a network of authorized dealers/retailers played a much more active role in after sales service, not just for cars, but for small kitchen appliances, electronics, etc. Some companies (Black and Decker comes to mind) still have the remains of that network in place, but in general it's gotten much more centralized, with discount/mass merchandise/big box stores taken out of the after-sales service aspect.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8136 posts
1090 upvotes
Anathem wrote:
Jul 16th, 2010 10:23 pm
I hope all the people complaining about the new HBC return policy read this thread and understand that its because of people like this that these restrictive return policies are put in place.
+1, have to agree. I doubt the OP will be successful, Walmart is getting serious with return/refund schemes and they have to, because as stores like Canadian Tire tighten their policies the abusers have to go somewhere else and they don't want them either.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
billy08 wrote:

You posted this thread as a joke, right?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1603 posts
138 upvotes
Hampton
Perhaps you've got a toothbrush that could do with replacing as well - you could take that in at the same time. Honestly, some people bring new meaning to the word abuse.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2776 posts
489 upvotes
Ajax
I have returned shoes falling apart after being worn after 90 days without incident but YMMV.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
182 upvotes
Burnaby
gostinger wrote:
Jul 17th, 2010 8:31 pm
I have returned shoes falling apart after being worn after 90 days without incident but YMMV.
I waggle my finger at you, sir! (or madam!)