Shopping Discussion

Returning an item that a manufacturer's coupon was used...

  • Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2008 10:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
1792 posts
255 upvotes
Hunter316 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2008 7:13 pm
A coupon usully states that its a one time use item so as it has already been used, no matter that the item is returned, it should not be used again. Also coupons are usually for specific items and since it is a return being requested why would the coupon be needed again unless it was to try to get more money back again. If one were to request an exchange on a purchase that a coupon was used on and then be told that you had to pay more on the new item then I could see a reason to argue but not in a case where the request is for a refund.
Imagine a store return as being the same as pressing undo in a program; I believe, at least in theory, that is what a return should aim to accomplish; that is, to completely undo the initial transaction.

Thus the while the coupon may be of one time use, having that use undone, returns the coupon to being once again valid for one time usage.
Sr. Member
Apr 20, 2005
693 posts
7 upvotes
British Columbia
Interesting arguments from both sides.

I believe you should be refunded what you paid. End of story. Say your coupon was for $50 off a $150 item. You pay $100. Why on Earth should you be refunded $150? You didn't pay that. You paid $100. It doesn't matter how much the coupon is for, you should only get back what you paid. I could care less about whatever deal is cooked up between the manufacturer and the store - no matter what I paid, I'd only expect to get that back, not full price. I didn't pay full price.

Just my two cents.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 9, 2005
2028 posts
59 upvotes
And coupons do state that they have no cash value, so if you get a refund for the coupon you are in essense getting cash value for that coupon...
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 15, 2007
14 posts
I am very surprise to see all the divided opinions here...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 17, 2005
10877 posts
1309 upvotes
Brampton
jeffrey815 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2008 11:43 am
I am very surprise to see all the divided opinions here...
I am surprised too, since from my long experience using coupons :lol: I have always received my full money back, so technically the coupon became cash ;)
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
__________________________________________________
If I helped in any way, please click the UpVote button or UpVote my Thread(s) :)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 18, 2005
10812 posts
2154 upvotes
Kingston
drunkgoat wrote:
Apr 28th, 2008 4:21 pm
Can the store return the coupon to the customer? In most cases probably not, so now the customer cannot use their coupon again for another purchase.

How do you propose the store resolve that issue?
Hunter316 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2008 7:13 pm
Also coupons are usually for specific items and since it is a return being requested why would the coupon be needed again unless it was to try to get more money back again.
drunkgoat wrote:
Apr 28th, 2008 9:10 pm
Imagine a store return as being the same as pressing undo in a program; I believe, at least in theory, that is what a return should aim to accomplish; that is, to completely undo the initial transaction.

Thus the while the coupon may be of one time use, having that use undone, returns the coupon to being once again valid for one time usage.
drunkgoat, you didn't answer the question as to why the coupon would be needed again if you are returning the item.

To follow your analogy, the undo function doesn't work after you've closed the program which is the equivalent of leaving the store in the case of a coupon. Once you leave the store it is one-time-used and cannot be un-used.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
1792 posts
255 upvotes
JWL wrote:
Apr 30th, 2008 4:18 pm
drunkgoat, you didn't answer the question as to why the coupon would be needed again if you are returning the item.

To follow your analogy, the undo function doesn't work after you've closed the program which is the equivalent of leaving the store in the case of a coupon. Once you leave the store it is one-time-used and cannot be un-used.
One possible reason why you would need the coupon again is if it was for a general discount from the store, not just for a particular item. I.E. a Zellers $10 off $50 purchase coupon; If you returned an item for whatever reason, it shouldn't also void your coupon. You should be able to use that coupon again for another purchase.

Another reason pertaining to a manufacturer's coupon; it could be that the product was defective, but you still want the item in question, and that the store is now sold out of the item making exchange impossible. If the store can give you the coupon back, you can take it and use it at another store. If they cannot do this for you, they should give you the money back.

Also you've extended my analogy too far, the 'undo' function should continue to work until the specified return period for the specific store in question has lapsed.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
drunkgoat wrote:
Apr 30th, 2008 4:52 pm
One possible reason why you would need the coupon again is if it was for a general discount from the store, not just for a particular item. I.E. a Zellers $10 off $50 purchase coupon; If you returned an item for whatever reason, it shouldn't also void your coupon. You should be able to use that coupon again for another purchase.
If you wanted a different item and it was a generic coupon for the store then I am sure if you asked to do an exchange instead of a return the store would apply the discount to the new item as well.
drunkgoat wrote:
Apr 30th, 2008 4:52 pm
Another reason pertaining to a manufacturer's coupon; it could be that the product was defective, but you still want the item in question, and that the store is now sold out of the item making exchange impossible. If the store can give you the coupon back, you can take it and use it at another store. If they cannot do this for you, they should give you the money back.
Ask for a raincheck at the price on your reciept after the coupon amount has been deducted and I am sure they would be happy to help you.
drunkgoat wrote:
Apr 30th, 2008 4:52 pm
Also you've extended my analogy too far, the 'undo' function should continue to work until the specified return period for the specific store in question has lapsed.
If the coupon states it is a one time use and then you use it one time then I am not sure where the confusion about this is coming from. Just make sure you know what you want to use the coupon on before you use it.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
1792 posts
255 upvotes
Hunter316 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2008 10:18 pm
If you wanted a different item and it was a generic coupon for the store then I am sure if you asked to do an exchange instead of a return the store would apply the discount to the new item as well.
What if you did not want another item at the time, and they can't give you back the coupon, perhaps because it has now expired?

Ask for a raincheck at the price on your reciept after the coupon amount has been deducted and I am sure they would be happy to help you.
Maybe you don't want the item anymore.
If the coupon states it is a one time use and then you use it one time then I am not sure where the confusion about this is coming from. Just make sure you know what you want to use the coupon on before you use it.
This could be argued in one of two ways, 1) In returning the item, the coupon was essentially not used; thus the one-time use clause does not apply as the coupon was never used. OR 2) After the return, since the coupon was used one time and is now no longer valid, the store has taken away your opportunity to receive the benefit of that coupon, and thus should compensate you accordingly.
Member
User avatar
Dec 4, 2007
211 posts
vancouver
Pinocchio wrote:
Apr 28th, 2008 2:27 pm
I do not agree. You should get back full value for the product! The store will get reimbursed for it anyways.

Example: Product costs $5 & you received $2 off, so you only paid $3 for it.
You changed your mind & want to return the product for $5. If the store decides to
only give you back $3 (what you really paid for it) they obviously can re-sell that product again for $5
(assuming it was never opened/defective) but in the mean time, the store will also be getting
an extra $2 back from the manufacturer for submitting the coupon.
So now the store just made $2 extra thanks to you using a coupon, I don't think that's correct for the
store to make money off of coupons :!:

I have always received full money back when used a coupon.
But it's correct for us to get the $2 even though we never paid for it?
If companies gets money back after a coupon, why not just use their coupon for themself. If this the case, what stops me from returning products that I brought using a coupon over and over again?

Someone, quickly give me a large saving coupon that i can get a refund on. :lol:

While we are at, what if I use a coupon that allows me to redeem a free product but later on, I return it. Does that mean i get the full amount back since the company kept the coupon and mailed it.
I don't know what to put here :-0
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
drunkgoat wrote:
May 4th, 2008 9:24 pm
What if you did not want another item at the time, and they can't give you back the coupon, perhaps because it has now expired?
If the coupon has expired when you make the return why would you care whether you get it back or not? If I understand correctly you are arguing that you are out something of value and that since the store can't return the coupon to you they need to return you the value of the coupon as cash so I am confused as to why you would bring up the expiry issue since this goes against your argument. An expired coupon has no value cash or otherwise.

drunkgoat wrote:
May 4th, 2008 9:24 pm
Maybe you don't want the item anymore.
If you don't want the item that is your fault not the retailers and you should have made sure you were purchasing something you wanted. This is the same thing as arguing that a store with a no return policy should return something for you anyway. You are asking for cash from something that has no cash value.
drunkgoat wrote:
May 4th, 2008 9:24 pm
This could be argued in one of two ways, 1) In returning the item, the coupon was essentially not used; thus the one-time use clause does not apply as the coupon was never used. OR 2) After the return, since the coupon was used one time and is now no longer valid, the store has taken away your opportunity to receive the benefit of that coupon, and thus should compensate you accordingly.
A return or exchange is not the deletion of the first transaction but is a new transaction so the coupon remains used. I am not aware of any retailer that does not complete a new transaction when doing a return or exchange unless it is an exchange for the exact same item. As for the second argument the store did not make any decision with regards to taking away an opportunity to use the coupon. The customer made the decision to use the coupon and the decision as to what the coupon is used on.

Top