Shopping Discussion

Returning An other item then originally bought - Possible ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2013 1:44 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
630 posts
79 upvotes
Montreal

Returning An other item then originally bought - Possible ?

Hi,

First just don't jump on my throat, it is not for scam purpose. I bought a make up product from a seasonal warehouse for my Wife, it turn out I took the wrong shade. The item is brand new and sealed.

I don't have possibility to return to the warehouse, is this possible that I buy the correct shade of same product from another shop like SDM etc and then return the other one with their receipt ? I checked the shop and the price is same for all shades. Item cost like 30 dollars so you see why I don't wanna waste money lol

When the item is return do they just scan the receipt or they also scan the item ? it is possible the code bar is different ? But I saw that code bar was printed on the bottle itself not a personalized bar code for a shop, which mean it is done by the manufacturer.

Which shop will be easier to return the product in these condition ?

Thanks for your advise :)
7 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
Good luck in here. To put it simply, no you should not.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
207 upvotes
Surrey
Netuser wrote:
Dec 10th, 2013 12:18 am
I don't have possibility to return to the warehouse, is this possible that I buy the correct shade of same product from another shop like SDM etc and then return the other one with their receipt ?
What you are considering is a criminal act, as it would be fraud by misrepresentation. You didn't buy that product from the retailer in question and therefore you have no right to return it, nor do you have a right to substitute it for something else in order to facilitate the return. Having said that, if you were to explain to the retailer that you bought the product at another retailer and asked them if they would accept it for an exchange for another product and they agreed, then you're good as gold.

You're a husband. You made a mistake. It's your cost to absorb, not the retailer or other consumers.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
May 28, 2012
10066 posts
2238 upvotes
Saskatoon
Each colour/shade would have a different barcode (ending number) that is from the manufacturer. When it's rung in at the till, some stores will have a generic name for the item on the receipt, but other stores get more specific. When you buy one and return the other, they might not let you return the product if the item names don't match. You could try it, but it could look like you are scamming the store if the item names/codes don't match up. Lesson learned, don't buy makeup for your wife without confirming the colour.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21262 posts
2086 upvotes
Netuser wrote:
Dec 10th, 2013 12:18 am
Hi,

First just don't jump on my throat, it is not for scam purpose. I bought a make up product from a seasonal warehouse for my Wife, it turn out I took the wrong shade. The item is brand new and sealed.

I don't have possibility to return to the warehouse, is this possible that I buy the correct shade of same product from another shop like SDM etc and then return the other one with their receipt ? I checked the shop and the price is same for all shades. Item cost like 30 dollars so you see why I don't wanna waste money lol

When the item is return do they just scan the receipt or they also scan the item ? it is possible the code bar is different ? But I saw that code bar was printed on the bottle itself not a personalized bar code for a shop, which mean it is done by the manufacturer.

Which shop will be easier to return the product in these condition ?

Thanks for your advise :)
Different SKU. Otherwise its impossible to keep inventory.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
207 upvotes
Surrey
Mars2012 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2013 12:44 am
Lesson learned, don't buy makeup for your wife without confirming the colour.
I learned in my late teens to never buy clothes for women unsupervised, and I've avoided buying makeup for the same reason.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver
Kasakato wrote:
Dec 10th, 2013 12:47 am
Different SKU. Otherwise its impossible to keep inventory.
Also, if it is a liquid makeup (i.e. foundation) it has a best before date. So while you think it can be resold it may not be able to due to that date.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
630 posts
79 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks guys for the advise, I didn't know what to do that's why I asked the experts here :) I don't want to take any risk just for 30 dollars. I think my best option to save some money is put it on sale on ebay and just buy a new one with some loss. Lesson learnt also next time would not buy such stuff before getting all info and confirmation from wife lol