Locked: Returns to Walmart

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2015 9:47 am
Tags:
None
Aug 16, 2010
505 posts
152 upvotes
I want to believe Chowder is performing a social experiment or trying to troll people, because I have no other reasonable explanations as to how someone can ask if he/she can return a product they 'damaged' and is outside the allowable return policy under the pretense of deception i.e buying the same product and returning the old damaged one under the new product's return policy...

People do this actually. There are highschool kids for example, who scam companies like bestbuy, futureshop (OOB), Walmart etc when they buy fake headphones online and swap with legit stuff in store, or replace broken controllers with new ones for their game systems etc... I hope people here on RFD are beyond this level of immaturity and criminal intent.
Aug 16, 2010
505 posts
152 upvotes
willdacanucker wrote: hey guys. I just bought this new condo. Whilst I was trying to modify the walls for some sick wall gains, I cut into the structural support holding the east wall in place. Can I return this unit to the builder and exchange it for the unit in the other building which does not have structural damage?
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! well done. Thanks for the laughs.
Aug 16, 2010
505 posts
152 upvotes
When I worked as a part time sales associate at best buy many years ago, i was once told that a customer bought a brand new laptop took it home, opened it up and replaced all the parts inside with his old crap from another laptop and kept the new stuff. He thought he could get away with this because he had apparently wiped his harddrive (formatted it) and paid with cash so there was no record of him on file (legitimately). A few months after the return, the Manufacturer sent a notice back to BB informing them that components within the laptop were missing and / or did not belong to this laptop. They took the hard drive performed a recovery on it and lone behold, they were able to retrieve the scammers personal from the HDD (im guessing he had no idea how to 0 HDDs). It was FWD to police and the rest is history. OP, please be aware of the the potential ramifications of your actions (whether you decide to go through with this or not). Something as small as this can lead to a criminal record.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
Everyone is giving OP such crap. If it's a hard drive they spent $100-$200 on and it's now bricked, I bet every one of you here would wonder if it's possible to do what he suggested. Again, morals aside he can probably pull it off at Walmart.

OP's scenario is also different than replacing parts in a laptop and returning it back. If he bought another hard drive and returned it as the new one (supposing they accept used drives - you can probably say it was bricked while you were using it) he's returning the same item, the parts are exactly the same.

For example, I got a shirt and I yanked it and there's a hole. If I got a new shirt from the store and returned the old one (supposing they accept it), I now have the same shirt without the hole. Yes OP screwed up and he shouldn't have upgraded the firmware, but he wasn't asking whether it's ethical to return it.

I've seen people return ridiculous items like used coffee makers.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
kmarcie wrote: For example, I got a shirt and I yanked it and there's a hole. If I got a new shirt from the store and returned the old one (supposing they accept it), I now have the same shirt without the hole. Yes OP screwed up and he shouldn't have upgraded the firmware, but he wasn't asking whether it's ethical to return it.

I've seen people return ridiculous items like used coffee makers.
Doesn't matter what you've seen other people returning. If you break something through your actions not related to the normal or intended use or operation of the item, it's unreasonable to expect a refund or exchange.

Right now Canada has pretty liberal return policies. It's only a matter of time until those policies are changed to be more restrictive as a result of improper returns.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
Wow, OP is an ***** .
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Sep 17, 2013
175 posts
147 upvotes
Good luck. Every electronic item needs a receipt and we match the serial number to the box.. no match, no return.
Aug 9, 2005
978 posts
520 upvotes
MAR-TYR-DOM wrote: I want to believe Chowder is performing a social experiment or trying to troll people, because I have no other reasonable explanations as to how someone can ask if he/she can return a product they 'damaged' and is outside the allowable return policy under the pretense of deception i.e buying the same product and returning the old damaged one under the new product's return policy...
Leaning towards this as well. Sort of like asking the permission of the RFD community and if they got even mediocre support they would feel morally justified in performing the return.
Have to say I'm relieved that it's a unanimous verdict this is fraud & Hope OP will take that advice to heart.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8495 posts
2740 upvotes
Milton
This is why retail is tightening up policies. Stupid scammers like the op who fail to accept responsibility for problems they created. People really don't know or care about right from wrong these days.

I doubt anybody is really stupid enough to solicit advice on fraud here so I call trolling.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1926 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
It should still be within the return policy period. When ordering online the period starts from when you receive it.

The hardware is still 100% fine. There is no damage to it and any firmware changes are easily recoverable by the manufacturer. I'm surprised people in this thread take time to post here instead of giving 100% of their free time to charity work.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2007
5145 posts
21531 upvotes
Toronto
OP, it's a unethical thing to do (won't get into legal stuff), BUT sadly most don't care anymore....

End of topic....do want you want, but leave RFD out of it. No need for threads like this.

Take care.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)