• Jun 29th, 2017 4:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3225 posts
447 upvotes
Hamilton

Reuse Home Alarm System?

The house is about 10 years old and has wired sensors throughout the first floor on all doors and windows + 2 motion detectors & 1 keypad. When we first moved in it wasn't connected to any monitoring service, but still had power so the keypad would still beep if any doors/windows were opened which my wife liked. I don't remember what happened but something started beeping and we had to fully disable the system.

Is there anyway I could reuse all of these wired sensors in a DIY self monitored type of system? Has anyone done something like this before? Below is some pictures of the system.

http://imgur.com/a/ZorWG
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3797 posts
2934 upvotes
Toronto
Likely, the backup battery in your system had reached the end of its life, and thus was beeping to be replaced. It's about $40 for a replacement battery, if you don't even go the self-monitoring route but want to continue the open/close door chimes or even set the alarm on/off to make any burglars rush through their search.

Alternatively, you can get relatively cheap monitoring from The Monitoring Centre for $9.99/month, using your existing system. I'm always tempted by self-monitoring (especially when I was paying big bucks to ADT in the past), but like the idea of a third party able to call around or contact emergency services if I can't check my phone (or I'm the one with the emergency inside the house). However, if you've never had monitoring services before, DIY monitoring would still be a step up.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10180 posts
4302 upvotes
Brampton
Eyez-on will definitely work with that. Because it's not that old PowerSeries DSC.

I use Eyez-on for self monitoring, Home Automation integration and use their $9 a month monitoring.
My insurance discount covers the covers the monitoring (less the setup fee)
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13729 posts
3151 upvotes
London
Some dsc panels require the installer's code (password) to unlock the panel before you can configure any system changes. This is not the same as the arming code set by the user. There's no way to reset the installer's code other than replacing the panel
Sep 26, 2006
667 posts
175 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 12:07 pm
Some dsc panels require the installer's code (password) to unlock the panel before you can configure any system changes. This is not the same as the arming code set by the user. There's no way to reset the installer's code other than replacing the panel
You can hardware reset the panel but then it would also erase all programming. Like what each sensors were programmed as their labels etc.
Jun 24, 2005
475 posts
56 upvotes
Richmond Hill
BaboSo wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 12:13 pm
You can hardware reset the panel but then it would also erase all programming. Like what each sensors were programmed as their labels etc.
If Installer's Lockout is enabled, a hardware default cannot be performed. Installer's Lockout is indicated by 10 rapid clicks from the phone relay on the main circuit board on power up.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10180 posts
4302 upvotes
Brampton
Smiling Face With Horns
rngun wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 12:38 pm
If Installer's Lockout is enabled, a hardware default cannot be performed. Installer's Lockout is indicated by 10 rapid clicks from the phone relay on the main circuit board on power up.
You can however still hook up Eyez-on. The system doesn't know if a keypad changed or how many Keypads there are.

Once you have Eyez-on in place you can actually use the web interface to run a installer code cracking script that will cycle until you findthe code and voila you can use that to unlock the panel.

Alternatively if you know how to make a serial cable you can hook directly up to the DSC powerseries board and run this type of software on it to get the code.
There's also a programming software that will let you use a GUI to program the zones and how they respond (stay by-pass etc...)