Careers

Revenue canada exams

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2019 11:08 am
Jul 29, 2013
25 posts
icemasta wrote: I got my SJT results in the mail on Monday.
Thanks Icemasta! I appreciate your reply. I hope it's a positive reply. Did you receive it a week or two after your SJT test? Would you mind if I asked when you answered the test? I did the test on 31st July, haven't heard anything yet. Await your reply. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
Flasen wrote: Thanks Icemasta! I appreciate your reply. I hope it's a positive reply. Did you receive it a week or two after your SJT test? Would you mind if I asked when you answered the test? I did the test on 31st July, haven't heard anything yet. Await your reply. Thanks
I did mine on the 24th so roughly a week and a half. They said within 2 weeks though so you should have it next week.
Aug 2, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Brampton, ON
Could you please tell what type of questions were in SJT test?
Aug 2, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Brampton, ON
Good Day All,
I applied for Advertisement Number: 00012948 Various Positions, Toronto West-Thunder Bay Tax Services Office, English SP0396 – Collections Officer

SP0397 – Trust Accounts Examination Officer

Did any one applied for the above post and get any reply from CRA for it. Please advise.
Thanks in advance
Dec 8, 2013
31 posts
4 upvotes
xrdguy wrote: I guess it has to do something with their staffing level. They are giving offers when their staff level is low may be retirement or people moving to different department. They had extended eligibility pool for Calgary TSO and I don't know when Winnipeg pool expires but I think you might get an offer when may be some people move out from Winnipeg TSO. Good luck and this is always waiting game.
Hi xrdguy,
Have you started auditor job? How is work? Please describe your work? Do you get enough help and training?
I have started a CPA Articling position but would like to know more about audit job with CRA in case i get offer.
Regards
Apr 18, 2010
77 posts
11 upvotes
ArsalanA343 wrote: Hi xrdguy,
Have you started auditor job? How is work? Please describe your work? Do you get enough help and training?
I have started a CPA Articling position but would like to know more about audit job with CRA in case i get offer.
Regards
Yes, I started the job and it is typical federal 8-5 kind of job which has good work life balance. You also get the option to work in compressed schedule where you work couple of extra hours each day and bank those hours to get a day off. Regarding job, it is really good job and training is a bit drag as it is 3 month training which in my opinion kind of long training. But staff and work environment is second to none. Everyone is very supportive and welcoming. Audit is mainly based on reviewing clients returns and verify to make it sure they are filing their returns correctly, and are in compliant with applicable tax laws. 80% work is done at clients place, which is kind of nice as you really don't have to be in your office all the time. Calgary TSO is now called Southern Alberta Tax Center Office and is covering area from Red Deer to South of Lethbridge. So huge opportunity to travel and cover lots of businesses.

Overall I am satisfied with my decision to join CRA as I can do my CPA while working for CRA and best of all they fully reimburse tuition fee and you get free medical coverage. There is also huge potential for growth and work environment and benefits are far better than working in public accounting firm. CRA is moving toward online training and study material, so you will always have reference to look back things when you need it but they also do class room trainings. There are good chances for another round of offers for people in pool coming in October. So plan accordingly, and if you are not from Calgary then rental market in Calgary is super crazy expensive right now.
Aug 8, 2014
5 posts
Hey guys,

I have a bunch of exams coming up for a research position. They are:

Ability to prepare reports based on results of analysis

Knowledge of quantitative analysis

Ability to use analytical and/or standard Microsoft Office software.

They are locally developed. Anybody taken these and have suggestions on how to study for them?
Jul 29, 2013
25 posts
icemasta wrote: I did mine on the 24th so roughly a week and a half. They said within 2 weeks though so you should have it next week.
Thanks icemasta.
Aug 8, 2014
5 posts
exams99 wrote: Hey guys,

They are locally developed. Anybody taken these and have suggestions on how to study for them?
Still looking for an answer to these if anyone knows.

BTW, for the Wonderlic test, are calculators allowed?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
exams99 wrote: Still looking for an answer to these if anyone knows.

BTW, for the Wonderlic test, are calculators allowed?
No calculator.
Aug 8, 2014
5 posts
For the wonderlic test:

Is it 12 minutes for 50 questions?

Are the harder questions roughly randomly distributed, or does it go from easy questions at the start getting harder and harder as you near the end?

Am I allowed a pen with paper to write on for calculations?

Do I have to know yards/feet/miles/etc?

Is it done on a computer, or with paper?

Any tips or strategies for taking it?
Dec 16, 2013
17 posts
1 upvote
Congratulations and thanks for the heads up on what the job is all about. I am still in the pool and waiting to be called.
Dec 16, 2013
17 posts
1 upvote
xrdguy wrote: Yes, I started the job and it is typical federal 8-5 kind of job which has good work life balance. You also get the option to work in compressed schedule where you work couple of extra hours each day and bank those hours to get a day off. Regarding job, it is really good job and training is a bit drag as it is 3 month training which in my opinion kind of long training. But staff and work environment is second to none. Everyone is very supportive and welcoming. Audit is mainly based on reviewing clients returns and verify to make it sure they are filing their returns correctly, and are in compliant with applicable tax laws. 80% work is done at clients place, which is kind of nice as you really don't have to be in your office all the time. Calgary TSO is now called Southern Alberta Tax Center Office and is covering area from Red Deer to South of Lethbridge. So huge opportunity to travel and cover lots of businesses.

Overall I am satisfied with my decision to join CRA as I can do my CPA while working for CRA and best of all they fully reimburse tuition fee and you get free medical coverage. There is also huge potential for growth and work environment and benefits are far better than working in public accounting firm. CRA is moving toward online training and study material, so you will always have reference to look back things when you need it but they also do class room trainings. There are good chances for another round of offers for people in pool coming in October. So plan accordingly, and if you are not from Calgary then rental market in Calgary is super crazy expensive right now.
Congratulations and thanks for the heads up on what the job is all about. I am still in the pool and waiting to be called.
Aug 8, 2014
5 posts
exams99 wrote: Hey guys,

Anybody that can help with this?
Jul 29, 2013
25 posts
Shekina wrote: Hi guys,
Congrats to those who made it!
Are you still working with CRA as TSA? If I'm not mistaken, some months back you had mentioned that you got a call to start, right?
Oct 18, 2013
7 posts
Calgary
Congratulations Xrdguy on passing the lengthy recruitment process and making it as a top candidate!@
You've mentioned that you are in Calgary, have you heard anything about the Collection officers poo for Calgary?
I heard they were going to make temporary placements for this upcoming September but I don't know if it is true and how many people would they be calling from the pool?

Thank you
Feb 9, 2011
57 posts
16 upvotes
Collections wrote: Congratulations Xrdguy on passing the lengthy recruitment process and making it as a top candidate!@
You've mentioned that you are in Calgary, have you heard anything about the Collection officers poo for Calgary?
I heard they were going to make temporary placements for this upcoming September but I don't know if it is true and how many people would they be calling from the pool?

Thank you
Just an fyi I believe collections section from all regions are hiring at this time (now through sept.~?) I know this because I just took a test and had couple of interviews for collections section for vancouver and okanagan region. And they said hiring is done pretty soon for vancouver and in sept for okanangan. I was told other regions are doing the same.
Oct 18, 2013
7 posts
Calgary
Hello Stereo Blaster,

Thank you for your reply.
After you were emailed about availability you had to pasd other
tests and interviews?
I thought those already in a pool didnt have to go through testing and interviews again.

Anyone else with this experience?
Aug 8, 2014
5 posts
Anybody have any clue what's on the "Knowledge of quantitative analysis" exam, besides the obvious from the title?