None
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53

Reverse VPN

Hi guys,

How can I remotely access some gear at home from outside .. say from the office? Without using something like TeamViewer or VNC.

Is there a AP or router that supports remote VPN? I'm not sure if I got the term right but its basically being able to access home stuff from 'outside'..?!
Please thank me if you find this helpful
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
2333 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
Asus Router has built-in VPN server capability or you can use 3rd party firmware on other routers if your particular model supports it.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
Win 7 and after has VPN built-in. Not the most secure but is perfectly fine for home use:

http://www.howtogeek.com/135996/how-to- ... -software/

This is by far the easiest way to set one up because Windows take care of all the configuration behind the scene.

There are a bunch of routers that support VPN as well, but they are pretty hard to configure if you aren't familiar with them. You also need to pay attention to the exact details of the VPN that they support. For example some only support site-to-site, some only support SSL VPN, some may require a special client to connect, etc.

You can also buy one of the routers that support the DD-WRT, and use the open vpn feature.

You can of course also just install open vpn on the "server" that you are planning to connect to.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53
jumran wrote: Asus Router has built-in VPN server capability
Can you list any particular models ?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1715 posts
267 upvotes
C-53
csi123 wrote: Win 7 and after has VPN built-in. Not the most secure but is perfectly fine for home use:

http://www.howtogeek.com/135996/how-to- ... -software/

This is by far the easiest way to set one up because Windows take care of all the configuration behind the scene.

There are a bunch of routers that support VPN as well, but they are pretty hard to configure if you aren't familiar with them. You also need to pay attention to the exact details of the VPN that they support. For example some only support site-to-site, some only support SSL VPN, some may require a special client to connect, etc.

You can also buy one of the routers that support the DD-WRT, and use the open vpn feature.

You can of course also just install open vpn on the "server" that you are planning to connect to.
To use Windows 7 VPN feature I need a laptop/desktop on all the time right? That's what I don't want to do.

I'm trying to access some lab gear from outside. These are not computers but they are IP configurable and as long as they have connectivity to a home AP/router, I can access them remotely.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2332 posts
710 upvotes
Alberta
doomhammer wrote: Can you list any particular models ?
With 3rd party software (Tomato / Merlin-WRT), I think everything newer that the N16 can run OpenVPN.
So I think anything you can buy these days will run it. From there, just look up OpenVPN configuration tutorials.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
If your router doesn't support VPN you could set up a virtual machine and punch a hole in the firewall.
But you would need a computer or server online.

Easy way is to have your router support it.

Also plugging pfSense.