Reversed Km's on Used car

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2018 5:56 pm
[OP]
May 12, 2003
801 posts
236 upvotes

Reversed Km's on Used car

So I came across a seller in the past few weeks that has been buying Accord/Civic/CRV's, reversing the Km's and selling them.

His name is "Jay", (definitive fake name), located in the Milliken area of Toronto. Says he's a dealer and sells a car per week.

He cleans the crap out of the car, and makes them look beautiful, and then posts them on Kijiji at really good prices. We asked him for the ownership, wouldn't show it until we agreed to buy the car. And we cannot register the car, he was insistent that he would do it for you

I went to see the car, and actually agreed to buy the car (It was in ridiculously mint condition). Supposedly had 160,000 km's on it. But when checked with Carfax/Carproof, showed 300,000 km's on it.

From what I understand, the scam is that, someone would trade in the car, and he wouldn't register it in his name. He would clean it and then sell it to a third party. So if the third party ever wants to go after him, he could say "I never sold you the car". And the person who traded it in would become liable? (not sure on this one)

What can we do here? how do you protect yourself?

This is his another ad here: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/cit ... nFlag=true
55 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1226 posts
310 upvotes
Toronto
We are not in the 1980s anymore, even if you reversed kms how would you get away with it when everytime you renovate your sticker or the car changes hands the kilometers have to be reported to the MTO?

Yes the 1st seller would be liable. Thats why when you sell a car make sure you make the buyer transfer it to his name in front of you at an MTO office.
Last edited by MusicBox on Dec 17th, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
May 12, 2003
801 posts
236 upvotes
This is not the buyer reversing it. This is the seller that reversed it and sold it to a unknowing buyer.

When in 2 years the buyer renews, he will be shocked!
MusicBox wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 9:52 am
We are not in the 1980s anymore, even if you reversed kms how would you get away with it when everytime you renovate your sticker or the car changes hands the kilometers have to be reported to the MTO?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4020 posts
4282 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Report to police.
Save all messages and call history you had during your purchase.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4020 posts
4282 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MusicBox wrote:

Yes the 1st seller would be liable. Thats why when you sell a car make sure you make the buyer transfer it to his name in front of you at an MTO office.
I guess you didn't read the part where the seller insists OP to stay out of the MTO transfer. Seller reports 300k to MTO as if nothing happened, so OP is now in for a surprise as it would appear he was the one that did the rollback.
[OP]
May 12, 2003
801 posts
236 upvotes
Do they really care?

I actually went to this guy's house, so I know where he lives.
er34er34 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 9:54 am
Report to police.
Save all messages and call history you had during your purchase.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28862 posts
14661 upvotes
Ottawa
There's a reason why the MTO suggests used car buyers to get a UVIP!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3476 posts
2686 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ssj4_ootaku wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 9:58 am
Do they really care?

I actually went to this guy's house, so I know where he lives.
Please report them to OMVIC. They care:

https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/Consumer ... iders.aspx

Report Line: 1-888-662-8727

On their enforcement page, it looks like they successfully closed cases on 35 individuals so far in 2018. Also, looks like they go after a few dozen every year.

https://www.omvic.on.ca/portal/Consumer ... tions.aspx
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6502 posts
5089 upvotes
North York
So are you speculating all this based on just the 1 car you've looked at? How do you know the carfax is 100% correct?

Without further proofs of more than just this 1 car, I wouldn't jump to conclusion so easily. It's 2018, I don't think anyone would be that foolish to put a whole business at risk.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1148 posts
415 upvotes
Take a picture of the VIN and go buy yourself a UVIP. $20 is a minimal cost when you are spending thousands.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9397 posts
1619 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
car has 100k on it. person drives the car for 2 years and racks up say 160k on it. Before going to renew the sticker guy will roll back the kms to 110k. Again for 2 years drives a lot then befor renewing the sticket rolls kms bac kto say 120km

So its defiantly possible.
MusicBox wrote:

0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
May 12, 2003
801 posts
236 upvotes
This isn't a speculation. THIS is his business.

And he's not doing this through his business. He's a dealer, but he's selling it as a private sale.

Read my first post, there's a car he just posted. Same story!
konsensei wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 10:38 am
So are you speculating all this based on just the 1 car you've looked at? How do you know the carfax is 100% correct?

Without further proofs of more than just this 1 car, I wouldn't jump to conclusion so easily. It's 2018, I don't think anyone would be that foolish to put a whole business at risk.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6502 posts
5089 upvotes
North York
ssj4_ootaku wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 10:53 am
This isn't a speculation. THIS is his business.

And he's not doing this through his business. He's a dealer, but he's selling it as a private sale.

Read my first post, there's a car he just posted. Same story!
I don't see any story in the Kijiji post. All I see is a guy selling a car at 152k. Did he at some point admit to you he rolled back the odometer? Or you checked out a few of his cars and all of them have discrepancies with the carfaxes?
not saying he's clean, just doubting someone is so dared?