Shopping Discussion

Review - At home teeth whitening products

[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
195 posts
18 upvotes

Review - At home teeth whitening products

When you shop for teeth whitening products you need to understand a few things before you make the right selection.

There are two types of gels. Hydrogen Peroxide and Carbamide Peroxide. They both work the same. Based on Dental professional reviews Hydrogen Peroxide is slightly more superior then Carbamide. You can try them both and see which one is the one that works best for you.

There are two methods for at home teeth whitening products: Trays and touch up pens.
Trays
Advantages: Less time consumption, effective on hard to reach areas (posterior teeth)
Disadvantages : messy, gets in contact with the gums and soft tissue causing sensitivity, If you are using an LED light to activate the gel it is not very effective due to the thickness of the tray.

Touch up pen
Advantages: Easy to use, it can be used many times (Ex. before a meeting, party, interview), It can be conserved in the fridge at a temperature lower then 20 degree/C, You can control the quantity of gel that you want to apply to your teeth avoiding the contact with the gum ( lower sensitivity), The LED light performs better since it hits the gel at a closer range compared to trays.
Disadvantages : Longer time application

Make sure the kit contains

1- Finger wipes ( to remove plaque or stain prior to teeth whitening)
2- activation LED light ( to activate the gel for faster results)
3- vitamin E swabs ( in case of irritation to the gel you can use vitamin E to reduce discomfort or sensitivity) You can get it at any pharmacy but its expensive

Price
Normally it shouldn't cost more then $35 a kit.
Warning: Despite the labeling the gel is the same. Hydrogen Peroxide or Carbamide Peroxide. Since the gel concentration is low for at home applications DO NOT EXPECT more then 2-3 shades lighter results. If you can afford the price i strongly suggest getting it done professionally with a higher concentration gel that only Licensed Dental Professionals are able to use and then use at home products just for maintanence.
The primary purpose for at home teeth whitening products is to continue the bleaching material after the professional teeth whitening at home. This ensures lasting results. ( That's why the dentist always give patients trays gel and instruction for at home use). Do not be fooled by advertisers that guarantee 2-8 shades whiter teeth using at home products.
Any questions ill be happy to help :)
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
I have never heard of kits that contain finger wipes.

My mom gets her kit from a dentist that made trays for her-she might have paid $100 with 3 refills (some deals where she is in the US).

Could you not just brush your teeth really well, and floss and maybe brush teeth again to get the effect of whatever wipes?

I use plax mouthwash and it is supposed to be used before brushing to clean teeth better- it has the same ingredients as soap so I'm sure it helps a bit.

Right now I have been using Supersmile whitening kit- it is a whitener you put on your toothbrush with the Supersmile toothpaste and you are supposed to use it to maintain whitening.
It does work and did whiten my teeth a few shades, but mainly I got it because it made my teeth feel super clean like when you leave the dentist.

Supersmile is a bit overpriced though for what you get, the cheapest place that has it is QVC online and they do ship to Canada for around $10.
I bought the Supersmile kit that had 1 of each item for $75
in Canada just the toothpaste size in that is $75

Supersmile is also the only toothpaste with fluoride and stuff that does not burn my mouth.
even the kid toothpaste from the drugstore burns my mouth a lot.
usually I use natural toothpaste with aloe and it is good but does not make the teeth feel super clean.
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
195 posts
18 upvotes
I have never heard of kits that contain finger wipes.
Look at the pic Image
Could you not just brush your teeth really well, and floss and maybe brush teeth again to get the effect of whatever wipes?
Yes a good brushing and flossing prior to whitening can substitute the finger wipe.
I use plax mouthwash and it is supposed to be used before brushing to clean teeth better- it has the same ingredients as soap so I'm sure it helps a bit.
Mouthwashed do not remove plaque or biofilm their main purpose is to balance the PH and decrease the bacterial flora. You need to mechanically remove plaque biofil from your teeth with either a good brushing and flossing or finger wipes.
Right now I have been using Supersmile whitening kit- it is a whitener you put on your toothbrush with the Supersmile toothpaste and you are supposed to use it to maintain whitening.
I am against any toothpastes that contains bleaching material. They are not effective and they cause recession of the gums over time. SUpersmile or whatever the product is called is not the only bleaching toothpaste that contains fluoride. I personally do not recommend any bleaching toothpastes
Feb 10, 2009
655 posts
20 upvotes
massonspy wrote:
Nov 6th, 2010 5:04 pm
. I personally do not recommend any bleaching toothpastes

And who might you be? What qualifications do you have to tell people about dental hygiene?

eta: Just realized that sounded rude. I wasn't being facetious, I'm genuinely curious as to what makes you an expert in the topic.
Oct 3, 2009
247 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
I've been using Crest 3D whitening strips and to be honest, they work amazing. You see results in about 3 days just like the package says. I saw results in a day or two, not that my teeth are yellow or bad at all, just wanted them a little whiter. You can get them from your local shoppers drug mart or nofrills for about 30-40$. Works great :)
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1345 posts
138 upvotes
Wish I had done more research on this before

Recently got my teeth professionally done this summer as a part of a new dentists promotional offer and it was great (for a month)! Thing is they never told me about any maintenence, never gave me any "at home" instructions or care instructions or bothered to tell me to use some of these at home solutions. Instead they said it should be done pro on a yearly basis :confused:

3-4 months later and my teeth are now back to the exact same "colour" they were before :o (definitely not as a lack of brushing - have a solid regiment of 2-3 times/day, floss and mouthwash every odd evening)

Serves me right I guess, but for those looking to get it done professionally, it seems home maintence with the Crest/Colgate/etc. things is crucial

If I do go back and do it again - is the home upkeep a permenant thing? Or is there a period of time after which you can expect your teeth to retain their lighter colour, at least for a little longer than a month?
Oct 3, 2009
247 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Stinger wrote:
Nov 6th, 2010 8:28 pm

Recently got my teeth professionally done this summer as a part of a new dentists promotional offer and it was great (for a month)! Thing is they never told me about any maintenence, never gave me any "at home" instructions or care instructions or bothered to tell me to use some of these at home solutions. Instead they said it should be done pro on a yearly basis :confused:

3-4 months later and my teeth are now back to the exact same "colour" they were before :o (definitely not as a lack of brushing - have a solid regiment of 2-3 times/day, floss and mouthwash every odd evening)

Serves me right I guess, but for those looking to get it done professionally, it seems home maintence with the Crest/Colgate/etc. things is crucial

If I do go back and do it again - is the home upkeep a permenant thing? Or is there a period of time after which you can expect your teeth to retain their lighter colour, at least for a little longer than a month?

I'm not a professional but from my knowledge, with the crest white strips, its all up to you. You can use them all year long, or use them whenever you see needed. For example, if you used it for a weeks period of time with an application for half an hour each day and see considerable difference, you can either continue using it, or start again once you feel theyve yellowed again over time.

Also none of the teeth whitening procedures, whether professional at a dentist or from a kit are permanent, as your teeth goes through a lot on a daily basis.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
Mouthwashed do not remove plaque or biofilm their main purpose is to balance the PH and decrease the bacterial flora. You need to mechanically remove plaque biofil from your teeth with either a good brushing and flossing or finger wipes.

-----------
What exactly is "biofilm"?
The toothpaste I use they say that it helps remove protein deposits and maintains teeth whitening.

Supersmile was created by a dentist and you also do not need to use the bleaching gel with it all the time, just when you want to make your teeth somewhat whiter.

This is from the toothpaste I use, it sounds allright:

# Whitens: Calprox® safely lifts surface stains such as coffee, tea, tobacco, red wine and other stains without harsh abrasives or the risk of sensitivity. Maintains and enhances the vibrancy of professionally bleached teeth. Restores bonding, caps, veneers and dentures to their original whiteness.
# Freshens: Sodium Bicarbonate provides long-lasting germicidal protection for fresher breath.
# Strengthens: The combination of Calcium, Phosphates and Magnesium re-mineralizes tooth enamel.
# Protects: Fights against cavities with fluoride.

Our Toothpaste with Calprox® works by gently dissolving the protein pellicle - a thin layer of protein that forms on the tooth surface, and to which plaque, bacteria, and of course, stains adhere. Removing the protein pellicle leaves the teeth feeling cleaner for a longer period of time. Baking Soda provides long-lasting germicidal protection to ensure fresher breath and to prevent gum disease. Teeth are protected with Fluoride while the calcium and phosphates work to re-mineralize tooth enamel.

Since our Toothpaste contains no gritty silica - the abrasive ingredient commonly used in commercial toothpastes to scrape away the pellicle – it is 75% less abrasive than the recommended standard set by the American Dental Association.

-I do not like everything from Supersmile though, their gum does not have enough flavor (but makes yout teeth feel clean), mouthwash has too much alcohol for my taste.

*My old dentist who is a teaching dentist and was trained at Harvard, she reccomends Rembrandt toothpaste for bleaching. She is in Montreal or else I would be going there still.

if you have bonding or veneers and bleach your teeth, those ceramic parts do not really change colour and you might have to redo all the dental work if it is in an obvious spot.
-I have ceramic on my 2 front teeth,so not about to use strong bleaching products.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know Supersmile is not the only bleaching toothpaste that contains fluoride, it is the only one that does not BURN MY MOUTH!!
I have tried at least 12 different drugstore toothpastes, the natural ones I have are fine but no fluoride or whatever...

My dentist in Montreal also told me the whitening strips are not as good as good because they do not reach the whole tooth surface like the gels and the trays do and you can miss the parts of your teeth like in between and the very back teeth too.
but maybe those 3d whitestrips have improved I have no idea.

Also maybe make sure you do not have damaged tooth enamel as that might make your teeth worse in the future if you do whiten them.
I know this because I damaged my tooth enamel years ago and now can not use whitening stuff (my enamel damage was from having years of stomach problems...).

Anyways, I'm not a medical person, just passing along what my dentists told me.
Dec 24, 2009
167 posts
7 upvotes
Burnaby
a bit of an off topic question here, but i'll ask it anyways.

i used crest premium white strips back in july of this year. they worked well. my teeth are starting to turn yellow again. would it be okay for me to buy another pack and use them again? or do i have to wait a certain time period?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
cod2 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2010 5:31 pm

i used crest premium white strips back in july of this year. they worked well. my teeth are starting to turn yellow again. would it be okay for me to buy another pack and use them again? or do i have to wait a certain time period?

I guess it is good to ask RFD questions, but maybe call the 1-800 number and ask or email Crest and maybe they will send you coupons or samples or sumthin!
Usually when I have called or emailed a company (tons of times,lol) they most likely send coupons or samples.
I did get a whitestrip sample in the mail a few months ago-gave it to someone though-was just enough for 1 use.

I think there used to be coupons you can get online for those or a rebate a while back.
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
195 posts
18 upvotes
aggronieszka wrote:
Nov 6th, 2010 7:12 pm
And who might you be? What qualifications do you have to tell people about dental hygiene?

eta: Just realized that sounded rude. I wasn't being facetious, I'm genuinely curious as to what makes you an expert in the topic.

At your request i am giving you my credentials: Registered Dental Hygienist
PS: I am not being rude and i certainly don't appreciate your comment. I am trying to contribute in this forum by educating those who need more information on dental hygiene products, methods and known recommendations for usage.
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
195 posts
18 upvotes
Stinger wrote:
Nov 6th, 2010 8:28 pm

3-4 months later and my teeth are now back to the exact same "color" they were before :o (definitely not as a lack of brushing - have a solid regiment of 2-3 times/day, floss and mouthwash every odd evening)

Stinger The reason why your results lasted only for a month have nothing to do with your daily oral hygiene regime. It is related to:
1- The number of sessions your dentist treated you for
2- you didn't follow up with at home teeth whitening treatment.

Usually Dentists give promotions of FREE TEETH WHITENING when they open a new location. The reason being is that whitening material is not of any significant cost. By offering this Free teeth whitening promotions they try to attract new clients for other costly procedures as well. This is their primary goal not Teeth whitening. In other words they invest by offering Free teeth whitening to attract you as a client. ( if they detect any cavities lets say then you will most likely get it done at the same dental office. This is their benefit).
Correct me if i am wrong but i believe you didn't get 45-60 minutes treatment time ( proper treatment time) and that's what i think is the reason why your teeth went back to the original shade after a month.
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
195 posts
18 upvotes
cod2 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2010 5:31 pm

@ Cod2
You can not ask a company that benefits from the sales of their products if you should use more often their products. Obviously they will say YES use them as often as you can. In this case you need an independent opinion from a licensed dental professional. Not only they have the knowledge but the experience as well.
Whitening strips use a very small percentage of whitening ingredient( Hydrogen Peroxide or Carbamide Peroxide). No matter how often you use these strips your teeth will not be permanently white. I would use them periodically. Continuously exposing your enamel to whitening strips might cause sensitivity.
An example on how often you should use them is: Use them for a month then stop using them for three or four. Always try to keep a good oral hygiene by flossing and brushing at least twice a day..
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
195 posts
18 upvotes
Please try using quotation tool because its really hard to answer your post.
What exactly is "biofilm"?
Biofilm is the layer of plaque that contains microorganisms proteins food particles. Or else called plaque
# Whitens: Calprox® safely lifts surface stains such as coffee, tea, tobacco, red wine and other stains without harsh abrasives or the risk of sensitivity. Maintains and enhances the vibrancy of professionally bleached teeth. Restores bonding, caps, veneers and dentures to their original whiteness.
# Freshens: Sodium Bicarbonate provides long-lasting germicidal protection for fresher breath.
# Strengthens: The combination of Calcium, Phosphates and Magnesium re-mineralizes tooth enamel.
# Protects: Fights against cavities with fluoride.

Our Toothpaste with Calprox® works by gently dissolving the protein pellicle - a thin layer of protein that forms on the tooth surface, and to which plaque, bacteria, and of course, stains adhere. Removing the protein pellicle leaves the teeth feeling cleaner for a longer period of time. Baking Soda provides long-lasting germicidal protection to ensure fresher breath and to prevent gum disease. Teeth are protected with Fluoride while the calcium and phosphates work to re-mineralize tooth enamel.

Since our Toothpaste contains no gritty silica - the abrasive ingredient commonly used in commercial toothpastes to scrape away the pellicle – it is 75% less abrasive than the recommended standard set by the American Dental Association.
I am not familiar with this product and i have never seen it as a product in Toronto. It sounds to me like a common toothpaste comercial description which typically comes with any dental product. If it works for you then why not continuing to use it.

if you have bonding or veneers and bleach your teeth, those ceramic parts do not really change colour and you might have to redo all the dental work if it is in an obvious spot.
-I have ceramic on my 2 front teeth,so not about to use strong bleaching products.
Bleaching material at the maximum percentage used for teeth whitening purposes (35% Hydrogen peroxide) has shown to be safe on ceramic and porcelain prosthodontics "veneers, crowns, bridges, inlays, onlays).
My dentist in Montreal also told me the whitening strips are not as good as good because they do not reach the whole tooth surface like the gels and the trays do and you can miss the parts of your teeth like in between and the very back teeth too.
but maybe those 3d whitestrips have improved I have no idea.
Teeth whitening is only used as a treatment for cosmetic purposes. Whitening the lingual side of your teeth shouldn't be a concern.
Also maybe make sure you do not have damaged tooth enamel as that might make your teeth worse in the future if you do whiten them.
I know this because I damaged my tooth enamel years ago and now can not use whitening stuff (my enamel damage was from having years of stomach problems...).
Thats why i mentioned in the early post that it is required an oral assessment prior to teeth whitening treatment. If you have suffered from gastric reflex the very acidic gastric liquid could have thinned out your enamel. Teeth whitening is definitely something you should not consider as a treatment option because enamel is considered an inorganic tissue which has no ability to regenerate it self after the age of 13.
[OP]
Oct 13, 2010
195 posts
18 upvotes
If you guys have more questions just post them here..
Ps: Thanks for the ratings :)
Stop letting people that do so little for you, control so much of your mind, feelings and emotions - Will Smith

My Teeth Whitening Blog
× < >