Review my Banff Itinerary

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2017 5:30 pm
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2003
4212 posts
442 upvotes
Calgary
Banff is brutal right now. Because the parks are free this year tourism is way up. Dont count on a parking spot in Louise or Banff from what I saw yesterday. Ps smoke is fairly clear until Golden now.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12143 posts
1934 upvotes
London
For the Lake Louise gondola, Costco has a deal card for 2 adult tickets for $55 (reg $70). Also you can buy child /teen tickets at 25% off and 10% off at restaurant at the top. Costco 4430707

There's also a different Costco card for Revelstoke resort - 2 slide rides for $55 (reg $70) plus $25 food/beverage card at resort restaurants. Kids tickets 20% off. 35% off for resort accommodations . Costco 4437509

edit -- came across Sunshine Village gondola, ride for 2 at $67 (reg $85) +10% off kids tickets (valid Fri-Mon only) Costco 4415707

I think those cards are sold at only certain Costco stores
Last edited by l69norm on Jul 30th, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 10, 2012
469 posts
165 upvotes
Calgary
Cough wrote:
Jul 28th, 2017 4:01 pm
Banff is brutal right now. Because the parks are free this year tourism is way up. Dont count on a parking spot in Louise or Banff from what I saw yesterday. Ps smoke is fairly clear until Golden now.
We stopped in Banff two days ago (Friday) and I was expecting it to be insane but it was not bad and I easily found a parking spot in one of the free lots next to Banff Avenue. I also saw lots of available street parking one block off Banff Ave as we were driving around. This was around noon. No doubt Banff will be crazy on the long weekend but at least from my small sample the other day it didn't seem like the free park pass was making it too crazy.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10208 posts
745 upvotes
Mississauga
jarfgames wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 4:20 pm
We stopped in Banff two days ago (Friday) and I was expecting it to be insane but it was not bad and I easily found a parking spot in one of the free lots next to Banff Avenue. I also saw lots of available street parking one block off Banff Ave as we were driving around. This was around noon. No doubt Banff will be crazy on the long weekend but at least from my small sample the other day it didn't seem like the free park pass was making it too crazy.
I imagine that at noon, a lot of tourists would be out exploring the mountains and lakes rather than being in the Banff townsite itself.
Nov 10, 2012
469 posts
165 upvotes
Calgary
Talamasca wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 5:02 pm
I imagine that at noon, a lot of tourists would be out exploring the mountains and lakes rather than being in the Banff townsite itself.
Not necessarily. We were there last year on the August long weekend and it was insanity trying to find parking around lunchtime. Took us almost an hour to find a spot. As popular as hiking is, I don't think that detracts much from lots of tourists wanting to explore the town at that time of day.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10208 posts
745 upvotes
Mississauga
jarfgames wrote:
Jul 30th, 2017 5:25 pm
Not necessarily. We were there last year on the August long weekend and it was insanity trying to find parking around lunchtime. Took us almost an hour to find a spot. As popular as hiking is, I don't think that detracts much from lots of tourists wanting to explore the town at that time of day.
Well, that was a long weekend, when the mass onslaught of Calgarians and other people from the region invade as well.

I've been to Banff a couple of times and it boggles my mind how many people are in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, yet spend hours of their time wandering through tacky tourist shops.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
1006 posts
285 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just came back from the trip and I must say it was lovely. Not only its a nature's wonder out there but how well the people in this part of the world have maintained it. My parents who are visiting Canada this summer, were awestruck by the place and the hospitality of the people.

I did most of the things as planned, except Johnston Canyon and hot springs.

Sun - Heritage Park

Mon - Did LL chairlift, reached there at 10ish and there was absolutely noone even though it was a holiday. So got ample time to enjoy the place. The LL parking lot was full, so decided to go all the way to Mistaya Canyon and did three points while coming back. Reached LL around 4pmish and got parking spot. There was a lot of crowd. Dropped Moraine lake as the parking was full anyways.

Tue - Did the points on Minnewanka Loop, then the cruise. Spent time at Lake Minnewanka. Did the Mt Norquay view point. then just roamed in Banff town for a while. (Had already decided to skip Jhnston Canyon hike and hot springs, so had ample time)

Wed - went all the way to Columbia Icefied Centre and did the skywalk. Did not like it much as people had suggested before. My parents liked it though, so I wont say it was a complete waste! But I wouldnt recommend it. Then did lots of points along the way, taking photos and spending time at what we liked.

thanks for the tips.