• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2014 1:05 am
[OP]
Jul 17, 2011
11 posts
12 upvotes
BURTON

Reviews on Baby Video Monitors

I am currently looking at buying a new Baby Video Monitor and I see multiple types out there on the market. The other threads that I can find have outdated information about brands and issues with sound interferance which does not seem to be the case with newer models.

I see that the price ranges from $100.00 up to $399.00 depending upon different accessories and functions. There are also other options about PC video monitors that do not really appeal to me other than price. Some monitors out there also have remote access to move the camera and switch from NV to normal colour video. There are also a few that will act as a two way communicator or play multiple night sounds by remote.

At this time I am leaning toward the VTECH "Safe and Sound" video monitoring system which is $169.00 which seems to be the best bang for the buck. The only issue that I see ATT is that there are no reviews that I can see anywhere online for this.

There are others like the SUMMER INFANT "Best View" Digital Video Monitor which are more expensive but have some reviews saying that they are good quality.

I will post feedback on the camera after we use it for a time. Any other input on monitors would be appreciated for other expecting parents needing help.
31 replies
May 3, 2010
229 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
I had the summer infant best view monitor (old one: http://www.summerinfant.com/Products/Mo ... nitor.aspx) and bought it at 40% off from canabeebaby. It worked well for the first 6 months (batter lasted the day during the times my son was sleeping) until one day it decided to stop turning on. I had to pull the batteries a few times to get it back on.

I eventually emailed summer infant and the replaced my unit with the latest best view monitor (http://www.canabeebaby.com/product_info ... bec465c49f). They even sent me mailing slips so that I didn't have to pay for shipping! The new unit has been working for the last 2-3 months fine and the picture quality is a lot better than the older one.

The only issue i have with it is that it uses the 2.4GHz frequency. So if you use WiFi or have cordless phones that are on the same frequency, it'll interfere with the signal.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5030 posts
756 upvotes
We got the Angel Care with breathing pad. Was great, gives you comfort.
We got extended warranty and about a week before it was done, the unit died. So we ended up getting another monitor, I forget the brand, but it's at BRU for like $230. Expensive, but we like it. The Angel Care one didn't hav ea camera, jus tsound and breathing pad.
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
46 upvotes
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... CA&topnav=

We purchased this one about 6 months ago and we kind of like it. We wish that it had a clearer picture of the room, and that it had zoom and panning capability. For the most part we are happy with it, as it never ever had any interference, but the sound quality could be a bit better as well. It was our first attempt at a video baby monitor.

We then purchased

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... 73&topnav=

There's a lot of things we really love about this monitor - we love the crisp images (a bit distorted when it's on zoom), the clear sound quality, ability to zoom/pan the room! However we are experiencing severe interference with our wireless network, also sometimes the monitor freezes up and you can't zoom or pan. We also find that there is a lot of interference at times.

I will be repositioning the Lenova over the next few days to find a position that I works better for our sons room. It is set up for when he was in a crib and is now in a toddler bed on the other side of the room, so the view isn't as good. I just haven't gotten around to moving the camera. I will be returning the Summer one - when it works... it's awesome!!! When it doesn't - it's a real pain the butt and I am not interested in paying for a part time working monitor! Ideally I'd like something with the quality of the Summer but the reliability of the Lenova!

I will continue following this thread as I am still in the market for a better video monitor.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5030 posts
756 upvotes
The SUmmer Infant one, that's the one we got from BRU. I think it was $239.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2003
1243 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
We got the Summer Infant Best View as well. So far so good! We've had it for around 2 months now.
Nov 27, 2007
12 posts
Markham
I have summer infant best view. It can zoom in and out. The night vision is good. Sound is loud.
:)
Jan 14, 2008
73 posts
15 upvotes
http://www.samsungsv.com/Model/BabyMonitor

By far the best....an electronics company making baby monitor vs a baby company making an electronics device...

Available in US only but picked one up when I was there at Target store...it even records and does not interfere w wifi in house...expandable to more than one camera...easy to set up.

Easily an essential to any new parent....amazing...hope that helps!
Jan 14, 2008
73 posts
15 upvotes
KingRay99 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2012 2:46 am
http://www.samsungsv.com/Model/BabyMonitor

By far the best....an electronics company making baby monitor vs a baby company making an electronics device...

Available in US only but picked one up when I was there at Target store...it even records and does not interfere w wifi in house...expandable to more than one camera...easy to set up.

Easily an essential to any new parent....amazing...hope that helps!

Oh yes forgot to mention it can connect to my 52inch LCD...too funny when I hook it up when we have guests...thebteonway talk is great as well since when baby cries you can sooth them while you make your way upstairs to them...works like a charm
Jan 7, 2008
116 posts
20 upvotes
We elected to go with the summer infant Baby Touch (similar to the above, but a bigger handheld screen, as we felt the best view was a little small, and harder to use).

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Tou ... B004B762AK

Video and Sound quality are similar to most other units on the market, but it is perfect for what we want.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7974 posts
400 upvotes
Another option for those technically inclined is to use skype. We created a private account, set it to autoanswer from a private contacts list... block out all others. Then we just use our android phones to view. It's nice cause my GF can keep watch on her even if she decides to go to the mall for an hr or 2. And I can see him when I'm at work as well. All you need is a cheap laptop (enough to handle skype) and a decent webcam ($20-30). Laptop i used is one with a cracked lcd P3 lenovo. Since all it does is autoanswer skype i never even touch it.

-sg
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2383 posts
669 upvotes
Orleans, ON
I was thinking of buying a DLINK DCS-932L wireless N Day/Night Home Network Camera for someone - for the visual aspect of the monitoring. I guess it could be used later on for home security. I was also thinking about buying a monitor such as the Angelcare for the "audio" part or something like that.

Too many choices... :cry: what do you guys think? :cheesygri
May 22, 2007
871 posts
110 upvotes
Poulet wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 8:03 pm
I was thinking of buying a DLINK DCS-932L wireless N Day/Night Home Network Camera for someone - for the visual aspect of the monitoring. I guess it could be used later on for home security. I was also thinking about buying a monitor such as the Angelcare for the "audio" part or something like that.

Too many choices... :cry: what do you guys think? :cheesygri

I have a trendnet wireless internet cam (pan/tilt, nightvision and audio) that i purchased from dell days of deals sale. I'm using that as our baby monitor. If you have an iphone, ipad, or itouch, theres a free app for the camera.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
2383 posts
669 upvotes
Orleans, ON
cool. I'll take a look at it.

the dlink also offer possibility to view on iphone, ipad, tablet which I find pretty cool. I don't think it pans & tilt, but I know it zooms.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1322 posts
257 upvotes
Abbotsford
bought an Angel Care, never even used the pad. Get something used.