• Last Updated:
  • Dec 24th, 2009 2:37 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 25, 2008
264 posts
2 upvotes

Reviews on Fisher & Paykel Fridge??

Anyone have bought Fisher & Paykel French Door Fridge RF201ADUX? Can someone share their views about its performance, service, etc! Thanks..
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2006
2159 posts
272 upvotes
My parents bought one from Corbeil here in Quebec about 8 months ago and it has been nothing but a pain in the butt. First the compressor started making horrible noises, the ice maker died after about 2 weeks of light useage and once of the hinges developed premature wear.
Hardwarecanucks.com, Canada's Computer Community!! Come Join Us!!

My Heatware
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
24 upvotes
I have a different model from them. So far so good. I also had concerns about reliability as it's got mixed reviews (as do most appliances, really). I needed a counter-depth fridge that's less than 36" wide, and my only choices were an F&P and a Samsung. The F&P looks really sexy and comes with a pimp LCD water dispenser, so I took a chance on it. :D

The compressor is quiet, although once in a while it makes a louder noise for like 15 seconds. All the controls work well and seems to keep the food fresh. The water dispenser works really well and takes up no space on the inside of the door.

The LCD is more of a gimmick. Not too often do I need to put the freezer in deep freeze or need a timer to tell me my beverage in the freezer is chilled.

One thing I do like is the water filter, it's externally mounted (at least mine is) so you can replace it with any (cheaper) filter system that takes 1/4" tubing.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2008
264 posts
2 upvotes
thanks guys for your response..i am looking to buy this fridge because of the asthetics, as it is counter depth and has very european look and goes well with my other appliances, bertozzoni..vs the other choice I was looking at GE cafe french door which has lot of features but has very bulky look??i am confused?!! :confused:
[OP]
Aug 25, 2008
264 posts
2 upvotes
WalnutCrunch wrote:
Sep 29th, 2008 11:08 am
I have a different model from them. So far so good. I also had concerns about reliability as it's got mixed reviews (as do most appliances, really). I needed a counter-depth fridge that's less than 36" wide, and my only choices were an F&P and a Samsung. The F&P looks really sexy and comes with a pimp LCD water dispenser, so I took a chance on it. :D

The compressor is quiet, although once in a while it makes a louder noise for like 15 seconds. All the controls work well and seems to keep the food fresh. The water dispenser works really well and takes up no space on the inside of the door.

The LCD is more of a gimmick. Not too often do I need to put the freezer in deep freeze or need a timer to tell me my beverage in the freezer is chilled.

One thing I do like is the water filter, it's externally mounted (at least mine is) so you can replace it with any (cheaper) filter system that takes 1/4" tubing.
How long ago you bought the fridge?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
1341 posts
41 upvotes
lamborghinireventon wrote:
Sep 29th, 2008 3:12 pm
thanks guys for your response..i am looking to buy this fridge because of the asthetics, as it is counter depth and has very european look and goes well with my other appliances, bertozzoni..vs the other choice I was looking at GE cafe french door which has lot of features but has very bulky look??i am confused?!! :confused:
I bought the Electrolux Counter depth also for looks. Take a look at that.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2008
264 posts
2 upvotes
antman59 wrote:
Sep 29th, 2008 7:22 pm
I bought the Electrolux Counter depth also for looks. Take a look at that.
I am looking for French Door and I couldn't find Electrolux counter depth french door only side by side?!
Jan 7, 2009
1 posts
Ottawa
Sep 28th, 2008 9:07 pm
Anyone have bought Fisher & Paykel French Door Fridge RF201ADUX? Can someone share their views about its performance, service, etc! Thanks..
Yes, we've been suffering through 6 months of VERY loud (kitchen close to living room and volume set at it's highest) noise issues. We had hoped to save energy and can always appreciate a few hic-ups when you're an 'early adopter' but it has become ridiculous. As we paid almost $4000 for the fridge only to have components and boards replaced we are looking for the company to "stand behind their product". We are hoping the company will 'step-up' as we've had limited success with the service contractor. Their service group here in Ottawa are either untrained or have 'no' diagnostic capabilities. I just spent almost 15 minutes on hold waiting for a third represenative that apparently has 'authority' and will update once she calls me back.
At wits end.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2008
264 posts
2 upvotes
I did end up buying Fisher and Paykel French Door fridge but it was less than $2000 incl. taxes?! and just bought extended warranty with it. So far I absolutely love the fridge, very sleek european design and performance has been great but again it is only been few months..so crossing my fingures..i know the service is not good as the company is out of Austria but this year they will be making the fridges in NA so service might get better..
Apr 13, 2009
9 posts
I'm about to buy this fridge and have heard some mixed things about the company also, but as I'm in Toronto and they're got a head office in GTA, I'm going to take my chances. It's about the only french door fridge that will work in my space... all the others are too deep. I'm only concerned about the inside shelves looking a bit flimsy and wondering also if the veggies will stay fresh as crisper baskets don't seem to have lids.... If anyone has suggestions for alternates in the same price range I'd love to hear them before I sign on the dotted line...
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
3989 posts
270 upvotes
Is rated the second last in Consumer Reports. The last rated is another Fisher & Paykel model. Also the user reviews in CR are very bad.
Oct 31, 2002
786 posts
7 upvotes
I'm considering a F-P fridge, but one of the single door units. How have people who bought earlier this year found the product to be? I saw the couple of negative reviews in this thread, and that is a bit worrisome.

thanks in advance.
Aug 8, 2005
418 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto
I bought one about 4 weeks ago.

It has been great. No problems (yet) but it seems to be well designed and built.

I replaced the F&P external water filter with a GE one from Home Depot. The water is crystal clear and the refills are only $20. My old Jenn Air had $50 filters and the water didn't taste anywhere near as good as this!

Personally I think it's an awesome fridge!

One note if you're considering buying one... you have to open BOTH doors to be able to open the drawers. They look like separate drawers, but they are on a common rolling shelf so both doors need to be open.

If this annoys you, the fridge will be a problem. I thought it might be an issue but after a week with the fridge, we got used to it and didn't care any more.

Look at how much space ice makers and water dispensers take up inside other fridges. Then look at this F&P and realize that NO space is taken up by either!

My old Jenn Air used 1/3 of the freezer door to contain just the water maker!
Dec 22, 2009
1 posts
Vancouver
I have a single door, bottom freezer Fisher Paykel fridge without an ice maker. The electronics failed after only 4 years which cost me $390 to get repaired (and add about $200 worth of food loss). Their 5 year warranty does not cover electronics, the fan or the thermostat. In this price range, one would expect not to be out $600 after only 4 years.
Jul 21, 2009
159 posts
5 upvotes
Sep 29th, 2008 9:45 pm
I am looking for French Door and I couldn't find Electrolux counter depth french door only side by side?!
GE cafe has a 36" counter depth fridge available. We just bought one, but I can't give any feedback yet other than looks (not installed yet)
× < >