Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo

Revolution side effects.

We applied revolution to our dog 5 days ago. The dosage was the correct one and applied correctly to the back of neck so he couldn't have ingested it.

However today I realized he has been having some side effects so am wondering if I should pop over to the vet. He's been vomiting everyday Which we didn't realize since sometimes it was my wife which saw it and sometimes me. Also hes has some stomach issues which seem to have resolved since yesterday. He may be also lethargic , but thats never easy to tell. Should I expect the vomiting to resolve also ? Is it common for dogs to have these side effects with revolution? Frankly i'm quite put off by Revolution since its not nice to see your dog puke and am wondering if there is any other easier medication for heart-worms ticks?
14 replies
Oct 14, 2010
57 posts
8 upvotes
Collingwood, Ontario
Vomiting is only indicated as a side effect of accidental ingestion. At least that's what's been reported - but in 1% of dogs, diarrhea is reported, so maybe vomiting is just a super uncommon one?
We almost never see side effects at our clinic, but they do occur. The most common is just hair loss at the site of application.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
If I were you, I'd at least call my vet and ask the question. It may be nothing but better safe than sorry.

Vomiting is one of the side effects of accidental ingestion of Revolution.
Dec 22, 2006
193 posts
52 upvotes
Supahhh wrote: We applied revolution to our dog 5 days ago. The dosage was the correct one and applied correctly to the back of neck so he couldn't have ingested it.

However today I realized he has been having some side effects so am wondering if I should pop over to the vet. He's been vomiting everyday Which we didn't realize since sometimes it was my wife which saw it and sometimes me. Also hes has some stomach issues which seem to have resolved since yesterday. He may be also lethargic , but thats never easy to tell. Should I expect the vomiting to resolve also ? Is it common for dogs to have these side effects with revolution? Frankly i'm quite put off by Revolution since its not nice to see your dog puke and am wondering if there is any other easier medication for heart-worms ticks?
I have been using Frontline Plus(Merial) on my two dogs for 7 years now. Rated one of the best flea/tick applications. Unlike some flea applications, you can even use it on cats.
Available every country but Canada. (Vets have cornered the market here in Canada) You can order it on-line cheaper than anyone from Vidals Pets. They have HeartGuard heartworm pills too. Price is half what you pay at the Vets.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Supahhh wrote: We applied revolution to our dog 5 days ago. The dosage was the correct one and applied correctly to the back of neck so he couldn't have ingested it.

Our dog has never had a reaction to Revolution. I would call the vet clinic where you take your pup and bought the Revolution and ask just to be on the safe side. It could be related, but your pup could have ingested something else - or showing symptoms of another health issue. Your pup is showing the signs of a dog flu that was rampant in Toronto in 2005 (our dog had it). There is another topical offered by our vets - K9 Advantage - but some dogs have suffered side effects from it so our vets will only prescribe one dose of Advantage to see how a dog handles it - before prescribing the rest of the box. We did much prefer the chewable Sentinel to the topical Revolution - but that is because we have a double-coated dog - with very thick neck fur - but Sentinel does not protect against ticks - Revolution does to some extent - Advantage more so, but then not every dog can take it.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4596 posts
3098 upvotes
Toronto
Supahhh wrote: Is it common for dogs to have these side effects with revolution?
No, not unless it's ingested.

Its quite possible this is a whole other issue completely unrelated to the Revolution does, and timing is just coincidental.
Jan 17, 2013
459 posts
81 upvotes
Sarnia
Used it for years on 3 dogs and never had a problem
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
rob444 wrote: No, not unless it's ingested.

Its quite possible this is a whole other issue completely unrelated to the Revolution does, and timing is just coincidental.
This. 5 days of vomiting is something to be concerned about. I would take your dog to the vet ASAP.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
I haven't had issue on my dog neither. Mind you, I really am skeptical whether it really gets absorbed. My Bernese has such a thick double coat, I don't know that the medication really gets properly absorbed into him. Also, with such a thick double coat, I really don't know if anything is biting through that anyways.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
kenchau wrote: I haven't had issue on my dog neither. Mind you, I really am skeptical whether it really gets absorbed. My Bernese has such a thick double coat, I don't know that the medication really gets properly absorbed into him. Also, with such a thick double coat, I really don't know if anything is biting through that anyways.
My German Shepherds have such a thick under coat that they can go swimming and be dry in an hour, but when I was using a natural tick repellant, I was pulling ticks off them every day. After we started the revolution, I haven't seen a single tick on them. The stuff definitely works and ticks will get to the skin of any dog, doesn't matter how thick the fur is.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Shaner wrote: My German Shepherds have such a thick under coat that they can go swimming and be dry in an hour, but when I was using a natural tick repellant, I was pulling ticks off them every day. After we started the revolution, I haven't seen a single tick on them. The stuff definitely works and ticks will get to the skin of any dog, doesn't matter how thick the fur is.
My Berner's under coat is really dense and furry as well, but on top it has a very long haired coat, so altogether it's very dense. When you spread the hair to apply the revolution, there's not much skin exposed even. Also, the liquid absorbs into the fur and hair like a sponge, and I feel dries up on the hair/fur because the spot will have white residue afterwards.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
kenchau wrote: My Berner's under coat is really dense and furry as well, but on top it has a very long haired coat, so altogether it's very dense. When you spread the hair to apply the revolution, there's not much skin exposed even. Also, the liquid absorbs into the fur and hair like a sponge, and I feel dries up on the hair/fur because the spot will have white residue afterwards.
I feel your pain. We also have a double-coated dog with very thick neck fur. I much preferred the chewable Sentinel but it does not provide protection from ticks. My vet assured me that enough of the Revolution is getting through to his skin. But it is quite the production finding a pink spot on the back of the neck, just before bed. Plan B is to shave a spot but that is not happening. The itch would drive our dog nuts and the fur would grow back in and then we would have to repeat the process. Ticks are really becoming an issue where we live in Toronto so I want to do what I can.

Actually our guy is on Revolution 12 months a year since the meds also help protect against stomach issues often presenting in dogs during Jan. - especially in dogs who feel it necessary to eat everything on the street. We went with Revolution on the advice of our vet rather than the much stronger K9 Advantage. So far he has not had a reaction to anything - including the Lepto shot. But K9 is much stronger and our vet will only prescribe one month's treatment to watch for a reaction before she will dispense the balance of the treatment.

I wonder how the OP's dog is doing.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2014
1154 posts
388 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
If your dog isn't eating, rarely urinating and pooping and not drinking water it could be pancreatitis.
Something with more than two legs, but less than three.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. We actually had quite a scare the last time i was posting . The morning the dog couldn't walk ( couldn't use his left rear leg ). Since I was suspecting revolution already for other issues ( and its a neurotoxin ) we rushed him to the vet expecting the worst in the morning and she gave some anti-inflammatory medicine with which he recovered in two - three days ( and a weeks "rest" ). *! thankfully. !*

So we tracked down the cause of the vomiting as his newly habit of eating plants ( specifically some large grasses and sweet woodruff ). He did eat grasses occasionally before but now he eats a large amount after which he throws up within 10 minutes. I don't know if its co-incidental or somehow related to the Vaccine since he started to do it right around the time.

We have given him this month's dose as well a couple of days back and see how it goes.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
Supahhh wrote: Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. We actually had quite a scare the last time i was posting . The morning the dog couldn't walk ( couldn't use his left rear leg ). Since I was suspecting revolution already for other issues ( and its a neurotoxin ) we rushed him to the vet expecting the worst in the morning and she gave some anti-inflammatory medicine with which he recovered in two - three days ( and a weeks "rest" ). *! thankfully. !*

So we tracked down the cause of the vomiting as his newly habit of eating plants ( specifically some large grasses and sweet woodruff ). He did eat grasses occasionally before but now he eats a large amount after which he throws up within 10 minutes. I don't know if its co-incidental or somehow related to the Vaccine since he started to do it right around the time.

We have given him this month's dose as well a couple of days back and see how it goes.
Thanks for reporting back. I was worried about your pup. Tonight is the dreaded Revolution application night - and of course it is raining in Toronto. I hate putting it on a double coated dog with thick neck fur. Our guy is also a "landscaper". No matter how desperate he is to "go" he is never that desperate that he can't eat some grass, plants etc. Re the Revolution, see how it goes, but the alternative - say K9 - well, a lot of dogs can have a reaction to it. Many vets will only prescribe one dose of K9 to see how a dog tolerates it. If it weren't for the ticks in Ontario we would be using the chewable Sentinel. I hope your dog continues to do well. I know all about paralysis in dogs - we used to have mini Dachshunds - that health issue scares me the most.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)