Personal Finance

Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG -> Aeroplan, Marriott -> SPG, Amex MR -> SPG, etc.)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 8:01 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10173 posts
3740 upvotes
BC
Seks wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 9:44 am
So I may end up with 60000 SPG and 50000 Marriott plus my existing 13000ish Marriott.

Worth spending 240000 Marriott to get the AP and 7 nites package?

I'm assuming the 7 nites package is like an e-cert. You just use it whenever you want and on whatever # of nites?
No, it is for one 7-night stay.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1206 posts
266 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Jul 24th, 2017 1:59 pm
No, it is for one 7-night stay.
booo. not my cup of tea.
Jul 4, 2017
86 posts
10 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 9:36 pm
I've never seen that wording before (not that I went looking for it).

That's how it sounds. Whether it's enforced or not is another question.

Let us know if you can or not.
Thought I'd report back on this.

Amex transferred to SPG no problem, I checked two days after initiating transfer and they had gone through (did not check earlier). Transfer was quick to Marriott, and I was able to confirm the e-certificate.

Still not sure if I can start using MR points to book SPG hotels without first booking a SPG hotel without points, but transferring through SPG seems to work ok
Apr 21, 2006
328 posts
29 upvotes
July 26, purchased 7 night Marriott travel package with 120K miles
July 31, 120K miles deposited into Aeroplan account....no 35% bonus yet but that is expected as t/c say BONUS MILE CREDITING: Bonus Aeroplan Miles may take up to 4‑6 weeks to be credited after the promotional offer end date of August 21, 2017.
Feb 24, 2015
35 posts
45 upvotes
Fort McMurray, AB
Anyone recently transfer amex MR to aeroplan & points didn't show up within a day. Transferred on July 27th but not showing in my aeroplan balance, should i contact amex or should i give it some time. Any advise
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10173 posts
3740 upvotes
BC
YMMPnJbi wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 12:21 am
Anyone recently transfer amex MR to aeroplan & points didn't show up within a day. Transferred on July 27th but not showing in my aeroplan balance, should i contact amex or should i give it some time. Any advise
Official timing is "up to 30 minutes" still, isn't it? Reports here of instant.

Call.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
1459 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto
I redeemed the 7 night hotel + flight at Vacations Marriott (Saturday) and got the 120K (base amount) deposited into my AP account today (Tues) - so total 3 days.

I vaguely remember reading that Marriott transfer into AP account always happens on a Tuesday so maybe it's not always 3 days to transfer Marriott -> AP.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10173 posts
3740 upvotes
BC
Elfwood wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 1:34 pm
I redeemed the 7 night hotel + flight at Vacations Marriott (Saturday) and got the 120K (base amount) deposited into my AP account today (Tues) - so total 3 days.

I vaguely remember reading that Marriott transfer into AP account always happens on a Tuesday so maybe it's not always 3 days to transfer Marriott -> AP.
C'mon Elf ... "vaguely"? Check OP :) ... I even have a citation listed with link to post :)

• MRP -> Aeroplan (via the hotel+flight combos, or otherwise)
    4-8 days for travel package, possibly "following Tuesday" [source: joeags post #34]

Thank you for additional confirmation of existing data points though.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4759 posts
223 upvotes
Markham
as a data point, i did a 'test' transfer (first timer) from amex MR to spg - initiated yesterday afternoon and in this morning

i thought after that was instantaneous, but I guess not - did the full transfer today, hopefully follows one day

i need to do an spg family member transfer after i get the MR points in SPG - cant believe it takes days for SPG but instanatneous for Mariott

would convert from SPG to MRP, but the amount of points being transferred is above the limit
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10173 posts
3740 upvotes
BC
adeel wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 3:38 pm
as a data point, i did a 'test' transfer (first timer) from amex MR to spg - initiated yesterday afternoon and in this morning

i thought after that was instantaneous, but I guess not - did the full transfer today, hopefully follows one day

i need to do an spg family member transfer after i get the MR points in SPG - cant believe it takes days for SPG but instanatneous for Mariott

would convert from SPG to MRP, but the amount of points being transferred is above the limit
Apparently there is no limit if you are transferring MRP towards an existing reservation.
Probably(?) doesn't help if you are doing a travel pack though?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4759 posts
223 upvotes
Markham
ace604 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 5:06 pm
Apparently there is no limit if you are transferring MRP towards an existing reservation.
Probably(?) doesn't help if you are doing a travel pack though?
not doing a travel pack, so im in the clear there, assuming this is a possiblity
Feb 24, 2015
35 posts
45 upvotes
Fort McMurray, AB
ace604 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 1:35 am
Official timing is "up to 30 minutes" still, isn't it? Reports here of instant.

Call.
Didn't get the chance to call, but logged in late today and saw this, has anyone seen this before;
Date Description Reference Status Points Details
30/07/2017 Aeroplan Transfer Points ----- Rejected by Participant 29,000 Hide

I don't know how to re-enter my aeroplan number, i m sure i double checked before & right now it only shows last four digits which are correct. I guess will call them in the morning to find out more.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10173 posts
3740 upvotes
BC
YMMPnJbi wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2017 12:39 am
Didn't get the chance to call, but logged in late today and saw this, has anyone seen this before;
Date Description Reference Status Points Details
30/07/2017 Aeroplan Transfer Points ----- Rejected by Participant 29,000 Hide

I don't know how to re-enter my aeroplan number, i m sure i double checked before & right now it only shows last four digits which are correct. I guess will call them in the morning to find out more.
Does your name on both accounts match identically or perhaps is a variant and doesn't match?
Apr 21, 2006
328 posts
29 upvotes
gocolts wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 10:31 pm
July 26, purchased 7 night Marriott travel package with 120K miles
July 31, 120K miles deposited into Aeroplan account....no 35% bonus yet but that is expected as t/c say BONUS MILE CREDITING: Bonus Aeroplan Miles may take up to 4‑6 weeks to be credited after the promotional offer end date of August 21, 2017.
August 6...got 42K additional Aeroplan miles (35% conversion bonus) deposited into my account
Nov 17, 2004
766 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga
Nimbusplane wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 9:32 am
It'll show up the following Tuesday, but the cut-off is Friday. Transfer on a Saturday and you wait 10 days, transfer on Friday and you wait only 4.

If you're worried about eligibility for Aeroplan promo, don't be. Aeroplan backdates the transfer, it'll have its posted date as the day you initiated transfer.
Is this 100% confirmed? I am about to make a Marriott Travel Package reservation tomorrow (Sunday)....you are saying I should expect the aeroplan points to show up the week after?

Also is it 100% confirmed that Aeroplan backdates the transfer to the day you initiated the transfer? I'm trying to get this done before the promo end date of Aug 21, 2017.