Personal Finance

Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG -> Aeroplan, Marriott -> SPG, Amex MR -> SPG, etc.)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 1:48 am
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1172 posts
181 upvotes
Montreal
I have just transferred RBC reward points to AA. I called on Sunday and my points are finally in my AA account today Saturday, so a total of 6 days (5 business days).
Oct 2, 2015
256 posts
97 upvotes
Outremont, QC
Marriott travel package -> Alaska took 8 days. I posted on FlyerTalk and my theory (based on a couple datapoints I saw there) is Alaska posts the points on the second Wednesday around midnight EST (Tuesday night PST) after you initiate the transfer. At least two of those datapoints were initiated after Saturday, it's possible initiating before Friday or something may mean points come on next Wednesday instead.
Oct 2, 2015
256 posts
97 upvotes
Outremont, QC
SPG->Alaska was fast!

Initiated around 11PM PST and in Alaska by 9PM PST next day (22 hrs). I am increasingly confident Alaska updates balance at 9PM PST/12AM EST.
Mar 8, 2006
366 posts
71 upvotes
fortune88 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 8:53 pm
How long does it take to convert from SPG to Aeroplan?
My data points.
- Feb 18th: converted 20K SPG to 20K+5K bonus Aeroplan. The system message said it takes 4-6 business days.
- Feb 23rd: 25K showed up in my aeroplan account.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1853 posts
206 upvotes
North Vancouver
RBC convert to Esso 2-3 days
ace604 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 9:08 pm
Thanks.

Interesting. Seems highly YMMV. Recent datapoints of ~1-2 days (including someone who just linked to Avios as well). Yours is the 2nd data point of 6 days (although the first one may have been 6 calendar days?).
Last edited by ecgz88 on Feb 27th, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5299 posts
271 upvotes
TO
Anyone know of any programs i can convert from to Hyatt (World of Hyatt now) ? I need 300 points and was wondering instead of buying from Points.com, there may be a partner.
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / EQ Bank member

I use Plastiq to pay bills! It's magic ;)
#1 rule of Churning club - KCaDCA
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1853 posts
206 upvotes
North Vancouver
Only US Chase card as far as I know, and they may have a mini points requirement
TorontoEh wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 12:49 pm
Anyone know of any programs i can convert from to Hyatt (World of Hyatt now) ? I need 300 points and was wondering instead of buying from Points.com, there may be a partner.
Oct 2, 2015
256 posts
97 upvotes
Outremont, QC
14-Mar-17 16-Mar-17 Avios - Membership Rewards Canada

2 day transfer time. Still waiting on a transfer made March 15.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
1457 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry for off topic. I'm diverifying my flight rewards points. I have currently all Aeroplan, and looking to collect either avios or Alaska points. I fly out of YYZ and looking for trips to US and Europe. Should I start Avios next or Alaska?
Oct 2, 2015
256 posts
97 upvotes
Outremont, QC
Elfwood wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 12:58 am
Sorry for off topic. I'm diverifying my flight rewards points. I have currently all Aeroplan, and looking to collect either avios or Alaska points. I fly out of YYZ and looking for trips to US and Europe. Should I start Avios next or Alaska?
Avios won't help you much. They're only good for shorthaul. Something like YYZ-JFK on AA maybe, but going any farther into the US won't be good value. And in Europe, where cheap economy is plentiful and business class is an economy seat with a blocked middle, you're better off not using points for shorthaul.

Alaska probably won't help you much either. You'll get some value for flights to or near Seattle or on US partner awards like AA but the best values for Alaska are Cathay J, Cathay F, and Japan Airlines in that order. Not really Europe/US except to Hawaii.

Get lots of MR points and keep them as MR. Then when the time comes, you can transfer whatever proves best value. For example, the other day I wanted to find the best way to do Seoul-Taipei, and my options (in J) were 40k with Aeroplan (Asiana), 22.5k with Alaska (Cathay), or 20k with Avios (Cathay). From MR you can go to all three (although MR->SPG->Alaska is not a very good value).

But yeah, SPG are good to have on hand too (SPG are more valable and versatile than MR).
Oct 2, 2015
256 posts
97 upvotes
Outremont, QC
OK, so Avios came in for my second transfer this week. In both cases, points show up at 1am with one full day between transfer day and receiving day.

e.g., transfer at noon monday, points show up 1am wednesday; transfer at 11pm tuesday, points how up 1am thursday!
Oct 12, 2005
312 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
has anyone ever done Aeroplan TO anything else ( SPG,MR,MRP etc..) ? Cant seem to find much info other then a diluted method via points.com
97 upvotes
Outremont, QC
Hartom wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:59 pm
has anyone ever done Aeroplan TO anything else ( SPG,MR,MRP etc..) ? Cant seem to find much info other then a diluted method via points.com
You can't find anything about it because it doesn't exist.

Aeroplan is a hole. Once it goes in, it doesn't come out.

Unless you use a third party service like points.com who takes a massive cut.