Personal Finance

Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG -> Aeroplan, Marriott -> SPG, Amex MR -> SPG, etc.)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 8:01 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7091 posts
785 upvotes
Burnaby
Points.com is all there is. There used to be decent transfer options on points.com.

I did 1 Aeroplan to 0.84 US Airways, which became AA miles post merger.

A friend who was moving to Hong Kong did 1 Aeroplan to 0.75 Asia miles or so, which is approximately the same ratio as amex Canada transfer rates to begin with

Aeroplan to Esso to RBC Avion (requires the Avion visa) to BA with 50 percent bonus during promo periods or AA with no bonuses might still be feasible these days?
Oct 2, 2015
256 posts
98 upvotes
Outremont, QC
Here are two interesting data points.

Amex MR -> SPG. One initiated 1030PM Sunday, the other 12:30AM Monday EST. Points posted around 650AM Monday, both arrived at the same time. So approx. only 6 hour late latency for that second transfer!!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1289 posts
233 upvotes
Vancouver
Did anyone have different names on the Marriott and Aeroplan accounts and was still able to redeem the hotel+air package properly? I spoke to a CSR and they said the names have to match, now I have to wait for Marriott to process the name change...
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1109 posts
180 upvotes
crimsona wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 9:00 am
SPG to delta took about a day

Promotion; For every new partner get 1k bonus. Effectively my 1.5k SPG becomes 2.5k delta
Promotion link, please.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1289 posts
233 upvotes
Vancouver
Anymore data points for MRP --> Aeroplan via hotel + air package? OP says 4-8 days, but is this business days?
Oct 2, 2015
256 posts
98 upvotes
Outremont, QC
john.canad wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 3:37 am
Anymore data points for MRP --> Aeroplan via hotel + air package? OP says 4-8 days, but is this business days?
It'll show up the following Tuesday, but the cut-off is Friday. Transfer on a Saturday and you wait 10 days, transfer on Friday and you wait only 4.

If you're worried about eligibility for Aeroplan promo, don't be. Aeroplan backdates the transfer, it'll have its posted date as the day you initiated transfer.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
1289 posts
233 upvotes
Vancouver
Nimbusplane wrote:
Apr 8th, 2017 9:32 am
It'll show up the following Tuesday, but the cut-off is Friday. Transfer on a Saturday and you wait 10 days, transfer on Friday and you wait only 4.

If you're worried about eligibility for Aeroplan promo, don't be. Aeroplan backdates the transfer, it'll have its posted date as the day you initiated transfer.
Thanks, I can confirm that Aeroplan transfer is indeed processed every Tuesday

Requested hotel+air package from Marriott on Apr 5 (Wed)
Received hotel certificate immediately; Aeroplan points posted on Apr 11 (following Tue)
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1970 posts
92 upvotes
fortune88 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 7:15 pm
My data points.
- Feb 18th: converted 20K SPG to 20K+5K bonus Aeroplan. The system message said it takes 4-6 business days.
- Feb 23rd: 25K showed up in my aeroplan account.
Is it worth it to convert from spg to Aeroplan during the bonus offer?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
3803 upvotes
BC
zzricezz wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 8:57 pm
Is this sandwich worth $4?

Only you can answer that, just like only I can evaluate the value of this sandwich.

SPG is worth more than AP IMO. Are you going to use the AP on a business class long-haul flight where they will be "worth" much more than 3-4c each?
You should be able to get 3-4c value from SPG for hotel stays. AP might only be worth 1-1.5c, or even less. It varies greatly depending on how you use them.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2003
7091 posts
785 upvotes
Burnaby
zzricezz wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 8:57 pm
I would say only if you have enough SPG to do a Marriott travel pack, which means you would get 90k SPG to 120k Aeroplan plus 25 percent (total 150k), and 7 nights somewhere which you can choose to use or not
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
3307 posts
1171 upvotes
john.canad wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 8:29 pm
Thanks, I can confirm that Aeroplan transfer is indeed processed every Tuesday

Requested hotel+air package from Marriott on Apr 5 (Wed)
Received hotel certificate immediately; Aeroplan points posted on Apr 11 (following Tue)
Requested two different Marriott 7-night Travel Packages. Both posted Aeroplans by Marriott on Monday, and yes, both back-dated to the original date of the package redemption with Marriott phone rep. These were ordered a couple of weeks apart, not at the same time.
Mar 1, 2016
677 posts
207 upvotes
transferred the eleVAte points i had to Alaska (not really a great deal, but only had 1000 from surveys) points converted and transferred in 24 hours
Sep 19, 2013
883 posts
225 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just like the Esso $3 1 aeroplan mile to keep the Aeroplan account active. is there anything to keep SPG active? or alternatively, what is the cheapest way to keep SPG active?

I know 1000 MR to convert to SPG would do. anything cheaper?