Personal Finance

Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG -> Aeroplan, Marriott -> SPG, Amex MR -> SPG, etc.)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 1:48 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10135 posts
3722 upvotes
BC
amitdi wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:04 pm
Just like the Esso $3 1 aeroplan mile to keep the Aeroplan account active. is there anything to keep SPG active? or alternatively, what is the cheapest way to keep SPG active?

I know 1000 MR to convert to SPG would do. anything cheaper?
You could try transferring back and forth with Marriott (which both sites text say will NOT renew your expiry IIRC) ... but ... try it anyways to see?

Otherwise get an SPG Amex for $120 - $30 GCR (or a kickback from a friend referring you) and earn some SPG on your spending.

I actually keep the card as my daily use card since I value the earnings at about 3% on everything.

ps. You can also book a room on points and then cancel it and get the points refunded... but that means you need enough points to book a room so it won't work for small leftover balances.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Sep 19, 2013
791 posts
194 upvotes
Winnipeg
ace604 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:09 pm
ps. You can also book a room on points and then cancel it and get the points refunded... but that means you need enough points to book a room so it won't work for small leftover balances.
cool, thanks. this one is good. i wouldnt worry much about small balances anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
5299 posts
271 upvotes
TO
ace604 wrote:
May 8th, 2017 4:09 pm
You could try transferring back and forth with Marriott (which both sites text say will NOT renew your expiry IIRC) ... but ... try it anyways to see?

Otherwise get an SPG Amex for $120 - $30 GCR (or a kickback from a friend referring you) and earn some SPG on your spending.

I actually keep the card as my daily use card since I value the earnings at about 3% on everything.

I had to actually refund a room on points as part of my trip was cancelled and they infact refunded points and the points were somehow posted back as bonus/hotel stay..... so yeah this would work.
Achieva Financial / Tangerine / EQ Bank member

I use Plastiq to pay bills! It's magic ;)
#1 rule of Churning club - KCaDCA
Nov 6, 2004
246 posts
55 upvotes
Per suggestion, asking here. How long does it take to link Amex MR account to SPG account? (Not to transfer the points, but to link the accounts in the first place).

Received 75k bonus MR points somehow and want to transfer out ASAP before they possibly claw back. I realize it may take a few days for the points to transfer after the account is linked, but if the account links quickly and I can initiate the transfer request soon I should be fine.

Or I could transfer to Aeroplan right away, but in light of today's news that's less appealing. What would you do?
Nov 25, 2002
830 posts
86 upvotes
Brampton
CanuckFan wrote:
May 11th, 2017 5:00 pm
Per suggestion, asking here. How long does it take to link Amex MR account to SPG account? (Not to transfer the points, but to link the accounts in the first place).
I did the link a few months ago, it took 1 day IIRC.
Nov 6, 2004
246 posts
55 upvotes
As an update, my SPG account linkage request was denied the next day, apparently because it's already linked via an Amex SPG card that I have - at least that's what Googling led me to believe.

Instead of calling in to temporarily delink the SPG account so that I can transfer points, I chose to transfer to Avios. The request to link accounts with BA Avios went through almost immediately and I submitted my request to transfer the points.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10135 posts
3722 upvotes
BC
CanuckFan wrote:
May 12th, 2017 6:14 pm
As an update, my SPG account linkage request was denied the next day, apparently because it's already linked via an Amex SPG card that I have - at least that's what Googling led me to believe.

Instead of calling in to temporarily delink the SPG account so that I can transfer points, I chose to transfer to Avios. The request to link accounts with BA Avios went through almost immediately and I submitted my request to transfer the points.
That doesn't make any sense. I have 3 accounts linked to one SPG account. 2 SPG Amex cards (1 US, 1 CAD), and 1 Canadian charge card to transfer MR to SPG.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
1457 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
I couldn't find on the first page: what is the increment size for SPG -> SPG transfer (between spouses)? Can I call SPG to transfer all from spouse to spouse (i.e. increment of 1 point)?
Sep 28, 2015
11 posts
53 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Call in and that is what they said too. Now they have to unlink SPG account from SPG credit card, and then link it to my MR account. After the transfer, have to call back and ask them to link back to Amex SPG card.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10135 posts
3722 upvotes
BC
Ronan8391 wrote:
May 15th, 2017 4:13 pm
Call in and that is what they said too. Now they have to unlink SPG account from SPG credit card, and then link it to my MR account. After the transfer, have to call back and ask them to link back to Amex SPG card.
Are you replying to a prior post? Quoting is helpful for context. What are you talking about? Who said you have to unlink SPG from SPG credit card?
SPG Amex CREDIT card and MR-earning Amex CHARGE cards are separate and should both be able to transfer to the same SPG account. I have both linked to my SPG account.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10135 posts
3722 upvotes
BC
Elfwood wrote:
May 13th, 2017 3:15 pm
I couldn't find on the first page: what is the increment size for SPG -> SPG transfer (between spouses)? Can I call SPG to transfer all from spouse to spouse (i.e. increment of 1 point)?
Think you got your answer on another thread but it's 1k just like SPG -> Marriott ... I added an extra line on that entry in OP to clarify
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1205 posts
265 upvotes
SPG to Marriot (1:3)
SPG to AP (1:1)
Are the above still valid?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10135 posts
3722 upvotes
BC
Seks wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 12:16 am
Are the above still valid?
Yes. You get 1:1.25 from SPG:AP though if you do 20k at a time.

IMO better value as SPG though.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1205 posts
265 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 1:06 am
Yes. You get 1:1.25 from SPG:AP though if you do 20k at a time.

IMO better value as SPG though.
Hmm, yes I've also read SPG is also better value than Marriott. I am assuming you can convert SPG-Marriott and vice versa and unlimited # of times and not lose any points?
crimsona wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 1:36 am
Or get 120k Aeroplan + 7 nights at a Marriott cat 5 via Travel Packs if you transfer 90k SPG at a time
I really doubt I would hit 90k the next few years :P