Personal Finance

Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG -> Aeroplan, Marriott -> SPG, Amex MR -> SPG, etc.)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 1:48 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10135 posts
3722 upvotes
BC
Seks wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 11:56 am
Hmm, yes I've also read SPG is also better value than Marriott. I am assuming you can convert SPG-Marriott and vice versa and unlimited # of times and not lose any points?

I really doubt I would hit 90k the next few years :P
I meant 1 SPG is worth more than 1 or even 1.25 AP (IMO).
There's no reason to try to see what is better, 1 SPG or 3 MRP because you can freely exchange them back and forth and use them for whichever property works best for you each time.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1205 posts
265 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 12:54 pm
I meant 1 SPG is worth more than 1 or even 1.25 AP (IMO).
There's no reason to try to see what is better, 1 SPG or 3 MRP because you can freely exchange them back and forth and use them for whichever property works best for you each time.
I guess if I do get the AMEX SPG, I'll keep the points in the SPG account until I actually desperately need them to fill the void for Marriot or AP. So AMEX SPG personal + self-refer (10000???) + AMEX SPG business = guaranteed 50000 SPG?

Converting that to MRP, that's 150000. When I was in Bangkok recently, I used 20000 MRP/night at Courtyard by Marriot (cat 4). And I believe the room upgrade, free internet, and such is due to my AMEX Platinum putting me in gold status.
Nov 6, 2004
246 posts
55 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
May 12th, 2017 6:28 pm
That doesn't make any sense. I have 3 accounts linked to one SPG account. 2 SPG Amex cards (1 US, 1 CAD), and 1 Canadian charge card to transfer MR to SPG.
Update
- First day is showed that the request was in process.
- Second day is showed that the request was rejected.
- A week later I got an email that my account was successfully linked.

Basically, it sounds like it should go through eventually even if the status initially shows as rejected.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
1457 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
Marriott direct to Marriott transfer can be done over the phone for free.

Maximum transfer of 50K Marriott points per year. Need same address and verbal authorization on the phone.

Transfer is instant.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6970 posts
394 upvotes
Just to confirm, transferring from MR to SPG = 10,000 MR points is equal to 5,000 SPG points?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10135 posts
3722 upvotes
BC
speedyforme wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 2:56 pm
Just to confirm, transferring from MR to SPG = 10,000 MR points is equal to 5,000 SPG points?
Confirmed.
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)
Feb 7, 2017
727 posts
384 upvotes
@ace604 saw your signature byline in another thread, thought I'd check it out

Interesting topic, I skimmed thru, need to find a real block of time to study

DATA POINT
IHG (spouse account) ---> IHG (my account)
Done this week. Easy Peasy took just a few hours (they phone or txt to confirm that it is indeed legit ... Nice for peace of mind)

In the next few months plan to move around quite a few points (plus some purchase / pooling) so as to keep what I've earned everywhere active

Anxious to try out the SPG & Marriott Merger (1 : 3) ... Although until I get next to travel for leisure not sure which program I'll convert them too

Also will be checking out Hilton's NO COST to transfer / pool points option (went into effect end of April 2017). That will be nice as wife & I both have accounts that we earn separately on for business (just like IHG... But have to pay there to transfer).
Feb 7, 2017
727 posts
384 upvotes
greg123 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 3:13 pm
Anyway to transfer into choicehotel? Or ways to buy points cheaper than their website?
In case you are still needing to do this...

Choice is having a Purchase Points Sale until August 17th.

Discounts of 10% to 30% Off, dependent upon how many points you buy
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6970 posts
394 upvotes
Is there a way to compare spending vs earning power of say the MR, MRP and SPG cards? I assume converting them to each other is the same back and forth but spending and earning points for each may be different?

Most of our spending would be FOREX spending/airline for these types of cards and other misc spending day to day. Not a huge amount of spending, only about $15k a year for all of these combined.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
3631 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
where are you guys transfering AMEX points to now Aeroplan is sinking fast?
Jul 4, 2017
86 posts
10 upvotes
How long does it take to link the SPG account to Amex? I submitted the request Monday night, still waiting... (Aeroplan was instant which is why I'm wondering what's up)

Also, I saw this point under the Amex transfer screen:

"Minimum transfer of 3,000 points; additional transfers must be made in increments of 100. Member must have one qualified stay at a participating Starwood property in the preceding 12 months in order to use the transferred Starpoints®. "

Does this mean I can't use the SPG points unless I've booked with SPG before? Would I be able to transfer to Marriott still?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10135 posts
3722 upvotes
BC
setsunafseiei wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 9:32 pm
How long does it take to link the SPG account to Amex? I submitted the request Monday night, still waiting... (Aeroplan was instant which is why I'm wondering what's up)

Also, I saw this point under the Amex transfer screen:

"Minimum transfer of 3,000 points; additional transfers must be made in increments of 100. Member must have one qualified stay at a participating Starwood property in the preceding 12 months in order to use the transferred Starpoints®. "
I've never seen that wording before (not that I went looking for it).
Does this mean I can't use the SPG points unless I've booked with SPG before?
That's how it sounds. Whether it's enforced or not is another question.
Would I be able to transfer to Marriott still?
Let us know if you can or not.
Jul 4, 2017
86 posts
10 upvotes
ace604 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 9:36 pm
I've never seen that wording before (not that I went looking for it).

That's how it sounds. Whether it's enforced or not is another question.

Let us know if you can or not.
Ahh, ok.

Will wait for the accounts to link before trying I guess, I don't want those points lost to the ether...
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1205 posts
265 upvotes
So I may end up with 60000 SPG and 50000 Marriott plus my existing 13000ish Marriott.

Worth spending 240000 Marriott to get the AP and 7 nites package?

I'm assuming the 7 nites package is like an e-cert. You just use it whenever you want and on whatever # of nites?