Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 22, 2012
118 posts
7 upvotes
VANCOUVER

Rewards Programs when someone dies?

Hi everyone, not sure this is the right forum or not, but what happens to someone's rewards points for something if they pass away and they leave no indication in their will of what to do with it? Does it go to the beneficiary? Like Air Miles, Save On Rewards, Credit Card points programs, etc.? I'm trying to search it on the internet and there's not a lot of answers. Any insight would be helpful! :)
5 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14439 posts
2640 upvotes
Toronto
SteveBennett wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 1:11 am
Hi everyone, not sure this is the right forum or not, but what happens to someone's rewards points for something if they pass away and they leave no indication in their will of what to do with it? Does it go to the beneficiary? Like Air Miles, Save On Rewards, Credit Card points programs, etc.? I'm trying to search it on the internet and there's not a lot of answers. Any insight would be helpful! :)
This is from two years ago, but it might still be useful information: http://www.creditcards.ca/credit-card-b ... sses-away/
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2677 upvotes
ON
Coworker lost many points when his father died. They just closed the account, wouldn't transfer.
Best to not notify them, but spend the points.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16207 posts
8538 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
aqnd wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 12:29 pm
It really depends on the program. Some let you transfer points fairly easily, e.g. by faxing them a copy of the death certificate and will. Even if the points program isn't mentioned explicitly, if you're the only or main beneficiary then it shouldn't be an issue. OTOH some programs make the process lengthy and tedious.

You can't know in advance which is which. Policies change over time. So if posssible it's much better to get the testator to give you the username/password they use to manage each of their points accounts while they're alive. Or if they don't want to do that at least have them record that information somewhere where the executor can find them. Then after the testator is gone you can use up the points.

For example an Aeroplan member can use points to buy tickets for a third party, i.e. you the heir. It's much easier to do that than to go through Aeroplan's formal estate process.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Jun 22, 2012
118 posts
7 upvotes
VANCOUVER
aqnd wrote:
Jul 16th, 2015 12:29 pm
Coworker lost many points when his father died. They just closed the account, wouldn't transfer.
That's what I'm thinking would be best, especially with Save On Rewards points because I can't find anything about them, so might as well spend them up bit by bit.
Aug 18, 2011
822 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Screw that I'm using them in the afterlife :lol: