• Jul 20th, 2016 10:32 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 9, 2014
433 posts
233 upvotes
Stouffville

Rexall scanning code of practice

I was going to the movies with a friend at Yonge and Eglinton and stopped at the Rexall to get chocolate.

1 bar had a price of 1.99 on sale but rang in at 3.49 and I did not realize this until the transaction completed.

So I told her, she went and checked and came back and said she would refund me the 3.49 plus tax and then ring it in as another transaction for 1.99.

I said "technically it should be free with the scanning code of practice". Mind you, I don't have a problem paying it, but it's the fact of the matter. She was like "Rexall doesn't do that". So I said "Well it's the law and Rexall staff should be trained and aware of it in case something like this happens and the customer brings it up".

She very rudely told me "We know what it is, but we don't do it". So I said "Well I didn't know Rexall was exempt from the law". At this point, I walked out.

Are they wrong?
38 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Nevermind....

"Almost every major retailer in Canada participates in SCOP (Rexall and Zellers are not scanning code of practice participants, except in Quebec where it is law that all stores participate)."

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
It's not a law. It's a voluntary opt-in program so Rexall has every right to refuse you on it.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
2749 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
Rexall has not opted in to the SCOP program, as mentioned, it is a voluntary program and they have the right
to simply adjust the price to reflect the lower of the 2 prices.

SDM, unlike Rexall, does honour the SCOP program .
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Neighbourhood Pharmacy Association of Canada Supporting Companies:
Shoppers Drug Mart
The Groupe Jean Coutu (NB and ON only)
Lawton Drug Stores
London Drugs
Lovell Drugs
Pharmasave BC

RCC Supporting Companies:
Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
The Home Depot Canada
Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd.
Toys r Us
Rona
Wal*Mart Canada Corp.
Giant Tiger Stores Ltd.
The North West Company
Best Buy
2 Home Hardware franchisees
Canada Safeway Limited
The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Canada Limited
Loblaw Companies Limited
Sobeys Inc.
Metro Inc.
Thrifty Foods
Co-op Atlantic

CFIG Supporting Companies:
Thrifty Foods
Overwaitea Food Group
The Harry Watson Group
Longos Brothers Fruit Markets
Federated Co-operatives Limited
+ 1374 independent locations

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Nevermind....

"Almost every major retailer in Canada participates in SCOP (Rexall and Zellers are not scanning code of practice participants, except in Quebec where it is law that all stores participate)."
Haha, way to edit your original post to cover you ass :razz:
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Shiraz81 wrote: So I said "Well it's the law and Rexall staff should be trained and aware of it in case something like this happens and the customer brings it up".

She very rudely told me "We know what it is, but we don't do it". So I said "Well I didn't know Rexall was exempt from the law". At this point, I walked out.

Are they wrong?
Nope. They're not wrong. You were wrong, and you were rude to the employee. Wonder if you'll have the guts to go back and apologise for your mistake and disrespect.

As others have written, it's not the law (except in Quebec). It's a voluntary code that not all companies have signed up for.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Mar 9, 2014
433 posts
233 upvotes
Stouffville
Why should I apologize? She was also rude from the start.. I admit I was wrong but I'm not wasting my time going back to apologize. She could have been more courteous and explained Rexall's policy in a more polite way so I wouldn't have had to come and ask this question.

And thank you to everyone. I was mistaken and thought it was the law.

:)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7009 posts
6859 upvotes
Ottawa
Shiraz81 wrote: I said "technically it should be free with the scanning code of practice". Mind you, I don't have a problem paying it, but it's the fact of the matter. She was like "Rexall doesn't do that". So I said "Well it's the law and Rexall staff should be trained and aware of it in case something like this happens and the customer brings it up".

Are they wrong?
No, and I hope they were incredibly rude to you. I can't stand how people like you treat retail employees.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2013
2078 posts
2140 upvotes
Buenos Aires/Monaco
Konowl wrote: No, and I hope they were incredibly rude to you. I can't stand how people like you treat retail employees.
I can't stand how companies can list the price of an item and then attempt to charge higher than the shelf price. The OP mistakenly thought SCOP was a law, but it really should be a law to protect against shady sellers putting a price on product and then charging more for it when you take it to the register. If someone is buying more than 1 item in the store it would likely go unnoticed. I don't think the OP was rude, but the fact that he was misinformed makes it sound like he was being rude. If the cashier was aware of what SCOP entails, they should've just said, sorry Rexall doesn't participate in the SCOP.

Anyway, I don't shop at Rexall, everything is overpriced and typically the employees are overworked and disgruntled. The only time I'll ever enter one is if I need to visit the post office.
Never trust someone who tells you that their favourite show is Corner Gas.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
ElHoardo wrote: I can't stand how companies can list the price of an item and then attempt to charge higher than the shelf price. The OP mistakenly thought SCOP was a law, but it really should be a law to protect against shady sellers putting a price on product and then charging more for it when you take it to the register. If someone is buying more than 1 item in the store it would likely go unnoticed. I don't think the OP was rude, but the fact that he was misinformed makes it sound like he was being rude. If the cashier was aware of what SCOP entails, they should've just said, sorry Rexall doesn't participate in the SCOP.

Anyway, I don't shop at Rexall, everything is overpriced and typically the employees are overworked and disgruntled. The only time I'll ever enter one is if I need to visit the post office.
Your assumption is that the companies are doing it on purpose to scam consumers. It's far more likely that the price tag on the shelf was wrong as an employee simply messed up or a promotion was not coded properly in the system. Whether SCOP should be a law or not is a different story entirely and does nothing to change the possibility of a customer being charged more than the list price on the shelf(and it going unnoticed).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6254 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Lol. Op treats employee like crap. But doesn't like it when he gets the same treatment.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Even for stores that have opted in I find that they very seldom do anything to fix the discrepancy on the computer (or the shelf tag) to prevent another customer being overcharged.

Either because the cashier doesn't have the time, or initiative, to make a note of it and/or summon a supervisor, or because it's just a small annoyance to them.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Shiraz81 wrote: Why should I apologize?
Because you were a dink.
She was also rude from the start..
Really? If she was rude, let's look at what may have contributed to it, using your own words.
I said "technically it should be free with the scanning code of practice"...
...So I said "Well it's the law and Rexall staff should be trained and aware of it in case something like this happens and the customer brings it up".
So you're asking like a know-it-all consumer, telling the employee that she isn't trained and lacks the knowledge to do their job. Yet in your own post, she said "Recall doesn't do that" so apparently she is trained, she is aware of it and the customer did bring it up.
I admit I was wrong but I'm not wasting my time going back to apologize.
Didn't think you'd be decent enough to do so.

It's not a waste of time to have the balls to admit you're wrong to the person you insulted.
She could have been more courteous and explained Rexall's policy in a more polite way so I wouldn't have had to come and ask this question.
Based on what you have written, she did explain it - you just didn't like her explanation and insulted her and her training. Who should have been more courteous?
And thank you to everyone. I was mistaken and thought it was the law.
...and now you're trying every excuse possible to justify your rudeness toward a retail employee and refusal to make it right. But that's okay.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
Shiraz81 wrote: I was going to the movies with a friend at Yonge and Eglinton and stopped at the Rexall to get chocolate.

1 bar had a price of 1.99 on sale but rang in at 3.49 and I did not realize this until the transaction completed.

So I told her, she went and checked and came back and said she would refund me the 3.49 plus tax and then ring it in as another transaction for 1.99.

I said "technically it should be free with the scanning code of practice". Mind you, I don't have a problem paying it, but it's the fact of the matter. She was like "Rexall doesn't do that". So I said "Well it's the law and Rexall staff should be trained and aware of it in case something like this happens and the customer brings it up".

Are they wrong?
OP, the real error was that you spent $1.99 for a chocolate bar, when you could get one chocolate bar at Dollarama for $0.77. If you got 2 Dollarama chocolate bars, after tax, you still aren't paying $1.99 :razz:
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
4193 posts
11678 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Cheapo-Findo wrote: "Almost every major retailer in Canada participates in SCOP (Rexall and Zellers are not scanning code of practice participants, except in Quebec where it is law that all stores participate)."
Good to know for those living in or planning a trip to QC. Thanks Cheapo-Findo!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
coupondiva2012 wrote: OP, the real error was that you spent $1.99 for a chocolate bar, when you could get one chocolate bar at Dollarama for $0.77. If you got 2 Dollarama chocolate bars, after tax, you still aren't paying $1.99 :razz:
I was thinking he bought a 100-125g Dairy Milk bar or something. Not too bad of a sale price if you're being penny wise going to the movie theatre.

I doubt rexall is trying to "scam" anyone by not participating in scop....just a sale label they missed when the flyer turned over
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Mar 9, 2014
433 posts
233 upvotes
Stouffville
Yeah it was a family size Hershey bar.

I was greedy :) plus I was going to share with my friend.

I admit, I feel like an a** but at least I know now.... and will think twice before saying anything like that in a store again. It's a lesson learned.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)