RFD - Buy now think later - regrets

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2019 12:13 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1254 posts
340 upvotes
Good thread!

That Logitech $30 keyboard. I got it , tried to convince myself to like it, but it’s definitley not a long term use keyboard. Oh, and the return process was HELL. Painfully bad for such a big company.
Nov 11, 2013
306 posts
261 upvotes
Calgary
Ps1 classic console, luckily I never opened it and was able to return that abortion of a game system.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16716 posts
1526 upvotes
Space for rent
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:32 pm
Many things in Thailand are expensive, so when I came back to Canada last summer even regular priced items were cheap.

Bought crapload of Olay creams.

Bought SNES mini at regular price thanks to RFD.

Bought many PS4 games that I will never play, thanks to RFD.

Bought some Lego sets that I will never play. They are expensive as f here, so I might just resell them.

Bought teeth whitening strips. Then I found out I can get them on eBay much cheaper.

Etc, etc.....

I thought living the modest life in a foreign country would be transformative? Its been many moons ago since I lived that life and the Canadian life has corrupted me for the better half of my life so it would be a challenge but looking at blogs of people who relocated to Thailand as part of the chang mai group of people I see they've more or less adopted a less materialistic way of living.

As for mybownbinpuse buys I would have to say there's far too many to list but the usual suspects are electronics. I've ok very 10 pairs of headphones only use may be 1 or 2 at most. Computers and computer accessories. Games as well. Buikt a racing rig with a playseat and barely have 5 hours on it.

Such is the life of keeping up with the Joneses in Western society.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
2488 posts
1887 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:42 am
but looking at blogs of people who relocated to Thailand as part of the chang mai group of people I see they've more or less adopted a less materialistic way of living.
These people have not adopted. They have not given up their passports and got their nanny states to go back to. They are bloggers and make (some) money giving other people advice how awesome is to live on $10 a day. Chiang Mai is the epicentre of digital nomads and bums in general. There's so many of them it's the worst place in Asia go get a teaching gig :)
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20128 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto
BiegeToyota wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:32 pm
Many things in Thailand are expensive, so when I came back to Canada last summer even regular priced items were cheap.

Bought crapload of Olay creams.

Bought SNES mini at regular price thanks to RFD.

Bought many PS4 games that I will never play, thanks to RFD.

Bought some Lego sets that I will never play. They are expensive as f here, so I might just resell them.

Bought teeth whitening strips. Then I found out I can get them on eBay much cheaper.

Etc, etc.....
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:42 am
I thought living the modest life in a foreign country would be transformative? Its been many moons ago since I lived that life and the Canadian life has corrupted me for the better half of my life so it would be a challenge but looking at blogs of people who relocated to Thailand as part of the chang mai group of people I see they've more or less adopted a less materialistic way of living.
I think BiegeToyota (please correct me if I'm wrong) is referring to many branded things - specifically Western world items - being expensive in Thailand. Not local items AND Thai people love Western world branded items. It is very expensive for these types of things when buying them in Thailand and my friends always ask me to bring a boatload of vitamins, medicine etc when I go visit just because these things are so much cheaper in Canada with the for ex conversion.

I've fallen in love with Thailand in general and love visiting Bangkok and surrounding area - mainly visiting for the delicious foods and fresh fruits (I don't really buy any material goods when over there) and love visiting the beaches etc.

Chiang Mai is getting super busy now and you can definitely live decently on a very cheap budget with very reasonable accommodation costs and food costs. But yeah, don't count on having many material goods when living like this.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16716 posts
1526 upvotes
Space for rent
ji2o0k wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 7:59 am
I think BiegeToyota (please correct me if I'm wrong) is referring to many branded things - specifically Western world items - being expensive in Thailand. Not local items AND Thai people love Western world branded items. It is very expensive for these types of things when buying them in Thailand and my friends always ask me to bring a boatload of vitamins, medicine etc when I go visit just because these things are so much cheaper in Canada with the for ex conversion.

I've fallen in love with Thailand in general and love visiting Bangkok and surrounding area - mainly visiting for the delicious foods and fresh fruits (I don't really buy any material goods when over there) and love visiting the beaches etc.

Chiang Mai is getting super busy now and you can definitely live decently on a very cheap budget with very reasonable accommodation costs and food costs. But yeah, don't count on having many material goods when living like this.
What are some name brand items you speak of? I know for some reason in Australia Coca Cola is very expensive there.

I can dispense with all of that since I don't have those particular afflictions. Clean water (is this a problem in Thailand?), a computer with reliable internet and the temperate weather year round with as you said, an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables and street foods every where that's cheap is all anyone really needs. Again, I haven't been to that part of the world in a long time but travelling around doesn't seem to be very hectic or require great distances like it is here where you need to get on the highway and do 100KM/H for 20-30 minutes just to get to your destination.

As far as vitamins go, can't you get that from your fruits and vegetables? Medicine is another topic entirely. To be honest, I thought vitamins were a North American thing. Most of Asia seems to get along fine with just eating a well balanced diet.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1285 posts
904 upvotes
You forgot the need for a good/great dentist ;) Unless you have dentures top and bottom.
A society with two 'normal' is a society going downhill fast.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2938 posts
651 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Bought a jacket on Last Hunt and realized i didn’t like the fit. Took me a year to sell it lol
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
2205 posts
832 upvotes
Sudbury
There are no regrets in life!
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12688 posts
1218 upvotes
Mississauga
SD Cards, Wireless keyboards, headphones (multiple), watches (so many of them).. 3 packs of Hola coffee for one month? LOL
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18185 posts
4767 upvotes
That's why I took a break.

But then I realized I had more junk than even before RFD.
So I came back.
Jan 21, 2013
287 posts
43 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:29 am
I got the Moto G a few years back for $150, was a good deal but never used it lol.
WHY would u get a phone u didn't need??...lol

I got the same one & I love it..(but I am a light texter)

Neutral Face
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
45103 posts
3657 upvotes
Toronto
ammaretto wrote:
Jan 15th, 2019 10:14 pm
WHY would u get a phone u didn't need??...lol

I got the same one & I love it..(but I am a light texter)

Neutral Face
$150 for its specs were good, but was more of a backup if needed.. Definitely a poor choice made there as phone trends change yearly haha.