• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2024 5:35 pm
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10977 posts
2909 upvotes

RFD collector and numismatic Coins discussion thread

**Spoiler Alert**
*I will not be responsible for the financial 'loss' and time consumption that you are about to suffer after reading this thread*

Want to find out your recent RCM purchases and how much they might be selling for?? Check out Windscars' Doc (he will update from time to time.

Anyway, Just thought it'd be fair to all bullion/PM purist to keep the conversation here.

After talking to a nice girl from my previous groupbuy, I find that I am still pretty novioce in this field. So it would be great to share and learn from all expert here.

There's anything from Canadian Mint to worldwide ones. This can be a good place to let people know about any future coins and place to pre-order them.

please share all comments and recommend for any current and future coins :)

*in case you are charged fee from purchases oversea*, here's a short instruction to how to fight it.

Dealer Black List

none... :) *updated Nov 23/2014
62898 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10977 posts
2909 upvotes
Let me start with my collection so far.

I started my coin collection history with 20 for 20 Leafs, and my next was the 20/20 polar bear. I moved away to PM for a while, collecting Scottsdale bars/coins, regular Leafs/Cougars, Panda.. now i'm back,

Coins I have so far on hands

Titanic $10 oz
[IMG]http://img.over-blog.com/300x290/0/51/3 ... itanic.png[/IMG]

Mongolian wildlife series
[IMG]http://www.numiscollect.eu/plaatjes/big ... dgehog.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.powercoin.it/590-1101-large/ ... a-2011.jpg[/IMG]
Mecca Coin (Most innovative Coin award winner)
[IMG]http://www.powercoin.it/524-923-large/m ... t-2010.jpg[/IMG]

I have order a few and are still on its way
*Group of 7
[IMG]http://www.mint.ca/store/dyn/MEDIA_Prod ... se-388.png[/IMG]
*Grow-in-the-dark Dino
[IMG]http://www.geekologie.com/2012/04/10/gl ... o-coin.jpg[/IMG]
*Bumble Bee (glass)
[IMG]http://www.mint.ca/store/dyn/MEDIA_Prod ... ev-388.png[/IMG]
*sharks
[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WBx12B9nxX8/T ... everse.jpg[/IMG]
*Koi
[IMG]http://www.nzmint.com/sites/default/fil ... 20ONLY.jpg[/IMG]
*Legend of Dragons
[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XU43SpnjGHs/T ... everse.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.powercoin.it/896-2016-large/ ... u-2012.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
Nice a new coin thread :)

I started collecting when I was a young kid (probably around 8). I'm going to dig up the stuff I collected growing up and see if any of it is worth anything. I wish instead of collecting random bills/coins I had collected silver or gold stuff! I had an obsession with collecting foreign currency which is probably worth next to nothing but kind of cool I guess.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2009
1291 posts
90 upvotes
My collection starts with collecting paper currencies, then it moved on to collecting silver and gold bullions. My first bullion coin that I collected is the 2009 ultra high relief gold 1 oz american eagle. After that, I started to buy silver american eagle from the us mint, and now my collection invovles coins from around the world. I will probably take pics of my collections and share with you guys when I get all my coins together
Dec 29, 2009
111 posts
4 upvotes
Man, those Mongolian wildlife coins are the nicest coins I've ever seen, congrats on picking them up.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10977 posts
2909 upvotes
robw90 wrote: Man, those Mongolian wildlife coins are the nicest coins I've ever seen, congrats on picking them up.

Paid an arm and a leg for those. but i like their potential and they are just too cute.

What do people think about coins from another country? Any good re-sellable coins out there?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2006
5309 posts
2517 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hey All,

I am wondering if anyone can help me out identifying the value of a RCM set I recieved as a gift.

I have search online everywhere to find out what the WHOLE set is worth, I have seen some separate coins on ebay.

I have the box, COA and a letter signed by the Mint...

Here are the details:

Its a "1996 Special Edition Olympic Centennial 22k Gold Coin Set"

There are 5 proof gold coins in the case, each with 1/2 oz of gold

"The only official gold coins authorized by the IOC to commemorate the foundation of the Olympic Movement and the renewal of the Olympic Games"

It is only 1 of a 100 sets (which sold out in 9 minutes), personally signed by the President and Master of the Mint, Danielle Wetherup.

The Coins:

Series I : 1992 The Olympic Flame (Struck by RCM)
Series II: 1993 "The Gymnast" Participation, Friendship, and Fair Play (struck by the Royal Australian Mint)
Series III: 1994 "The Archer" The First Congress (struck by the French Mint)
Series IV: 1995 "Zeus" Art, Music, and Sport (struck by the Mint of Austria in Vienna)
Series V: 1996 "Doryphoros" The Games of the First Olympiad (struck by the National mint of Greece in Athens)

I found this, which shows the 5 coins (although some are just the silver version of the coins)

I also have the original receipt, $2500 for the set when issued!!

Any help would be appreciated!
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10977 posts
2909 upvotes
coleworld wrote: Hey All,

I am wondering if anyone can help me out identifying the value of a RCM set I recieved as a gift.

I have search online everywhere to find out what the WHOLE set is worth, I have seen some separate coins on ebay.

I have the box, COA and a letter signed by the Mint...

Here are the details:

Its a "1996 Special Edition Olympic Centennial 22k Gold Coin Set"

There are 5 proof gold coins in the case, each with 1/2 oz of gold

"The only official gold coins authorized by the IOC to commemorate the foundation of the Olympic Movement and the renewal of the Olympic Games"

It is only 1 of a 100 sets (which sold out in 9 minutes), personally signed by the President and Master of the Mint, Danielle Wetherup.

The Coins:

Series I : 1992 The Olympic Flame (Struck by RCM)
Series II: 1993 "The Gymnast" Participation, Friendship, and Fair Play (struck by the Royal Australian Mint)
Series III: 1994 "The Archer" The First Congress (struck by the French Mint)
Series IV: 1995 "Zeus" Art, Music, and Sport (struck by the Mint of Austria in Vienna)
Series V: 1996 "Doryphoros" The Games of the First Olympiad (struck by the National mint of Greece in Athens)

I found this, which shows the 5 coins (although some are just the silver version of the coins)

I also have the original receipt, $2500 for the set when issued!!

Any help would be appreciated!
wow. those are rare set. and a perfect example of how spot price will help with the value.

Its very hard to judge. to the right people. they'd pay arm and leg for them.

i personally dont like Olympic series, because they come around every 4 year and unless you have special feeling toward one. you might not care.

if you many to sell it on ebay. id list it for 4 times the original price to start

to get to max price. coin show is your best bet.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2006
5309 posts
2517 upvotes
Winnipeg
kingofwale wrote: wow. those are rare set. and a perfect example of how spot price will help with the value.

Its very hard to judge. to the right people. they'd pay arm and leg for them.

i personally dont like Olympic series, because they come around every 4 year and unless you have special feeling toward one. you might not care.

if you many to sell it on ebay. id list it for 4 times the original price to start

to get to max price. coin show is your best bet.

Coin Show is a great idea, I didn't think of that. I'm not huge on the Olympics either, that's why I was considering letting go of them and getting something I enjoy more.
Deal Expert
Jun 26, 2011
15096 posts
5413 upvotes
GTA
super26 wrote: My collection starts with collecting paper currencies, then it moved on to collecting silver and gold bullions. My first bullion coin that I collected is the 2009 ultra high relief gold 1 oz american eagle. After that, I started to buy silver american eagle from the us mint, and now my collection invovles coins from around the world. I will probably take pics of my collections and share with you guys when I get all my coins together

You still collecting stuff from around the world? If you are I have a whackload of that stuff that I will be selling. Stuff I've been collecting for decades. Currency from countries that don't exist anymore, etc...
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
2077 posts
105 upvotes

you have the shark? i am very interested in it but it seems not available for sale at this moment. how do you get it?

I have the lunar set starting with 2010.... now i am on 2012 f15 but kind of thinking stupid idea to keep the subscription because really way too expensive to go on....
Sep 30, 2005
711 posts
62 upvotes
I started collecting when the mint issued those Lunar series back around 1996 or so. I have the previous lunar set (Series 1) and now on my way with series 2. I also have series 1 from the Perth Mint and on their Series 2 now. I am really into the Lunar series so where ever and whenever I see them, I pick them up.

Now I expanded into anything I personally like. I am a collector not investor, don't ever planning on letting these go.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10977 posts
2909 upvotes
lofony wrote: you have the shark? i am very interested in it but it seems not available for sale at this moment. how do you get it?

I have the lunar set starting with 2010.... now i am on 2012 f15 but kind of thinking stupid idea to keep the subscription because really way too expensive to go on....

I have it on alert via apmex. Which is a good way, because they always secure a few. (just like the Mongolian series)

Also keeping an eye on Govmint, which has a lot of coins as well, I've seen a receipt of someone getting a Wolverine coins for 69.99 (now going for close to 2K), I almost want to kill myself. LOL

I think it's going to get released after May, after the Koi series. if people are interested, I can order a few and we will just split the cost.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2007
2594 posts
99 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote: I've got a feeling this thread means my Wallets going to take a beating.

These new zealand coins are definitely not going to be cheap!

$111 for this one, and I don't even like it, 20k mint.
http://www.nzmint.com/coins/shop-online ... ?nocache=1

I personally love the Canadian Mint much more.. our coins are just so much better looking. :razz:
I'll post pictures of my full collection later this month in this thread when I gather everything together.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20040 posts
9793 upvotes
Toronto
kingofwale wrote: I have it on alert via apmex. Which is a good way, because they always secure a few. (just like the Mongolian series)

I think it's going to get released after May, after the Koi series. if people are interested, I can order a few and we will just split the cost.

Are the Koi's apart of the same series? Also it says on the website APMEX is their exclusive distributor?

Sniper001 wrote: I personally love the Canadian Mint much more.. our coins are just so much better looking. :razz:
I'll post pictures of my full collection later this month in this thread when I gather everything together.

I think just the idea of owning foreign mint is why I prefer the other coins...I'm really like that shark...

As for Canadian mint, I liked that coin with the map of toronto but sold out while I was still thinking about it :(
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10977 posts
2909 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote: Are the Koi's apart of the same series? Also it says on the website APMEX is their exclusive distributor?

I think just the idea of owning foreign mint is why I prefer the other coins...I'm really like that shark...

As for Canadian mint, I liked that coin with the map of toronto but sold out while I was still thinking about it :(
I think Koi might not be the same series, but I've heard base on people I met on another forum (aussies) stated that Koi would come out first (in May) and then the Sharks.

I don't know Apmex's role, but there is a groupbuy for Aussie only, just makes no sense to be in on that. LOL

that coin was there forever. lol, although I think given how popular Toronto is it in the eyes of the rest of Canada, I will take a pass on it. ;)
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2007
10977 posts
2909 upvotes

I think my first question is... what's up with the hands? :P

I am not a huge fan of colored coins... that's just me. :)

there is something about making pure silver into different shades of same color (like Panda). I made an exception on the Dino series, because it's not silver and I just think 'glow in the dark' is too cool
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20040 posts
9793 upvotes
Toronto
kingofwale wrote: I think Koi might not be the same series, but I've heard base on people I met on another forum (aussies) stated that Koi would come out first (in May) and then the Sharks.

I don't know Apmex's role, but there is a groupbuy for Aussie only, just makes no sense to be in on that. LOL

that coin was there forever. lol, although I think given how popular Toronto is it in the eyes of the rest of Canada, I will take a pass on it. ;)

I was actually thinking of using that as a gift more than collectors purposes. I know if I ever go visit people I know in places like US, and even India, they always ask for something "canadian" lol.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)