Personal Finance

RFD collector and numismatic Coins discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2024 5:35 pm
Sep 30, 2001
30147 posts
10132 upvotes
Toronto
A little disappointed with this batch of RCM coins.
Be kind and civil with one another
Jan 30, 2009
702 posts
83 upvotes
Victoria
Superman coins refuse to die! Count me in for one now, possibly cancel preorder and save $25 or so in taxes by ordering with Gatewest later.

500 less mintage than last months' 'Whispering Maple Leaves' 3oz Reverse Gold-Plated ($50 face value) coin.

(358 remain available for pre-order)

…Thoughts on the 2oz. Pure Silver 'Flora and Fauna of Canada' - mintage: 4000 coin? ($30 face value; 50mm diameter) for $179.95.

- Seems decently priced for being on the lower end of mintage. Sleeper of the month potential?

(473 available for pre-order)
Jan 15, 2006
444 posts
49 upvotes
BOC just increased interest rate -> people have less money to spend on (useless) RCM coins
Oct 12, 2016
100 posts
16 upvotes
The new 3 ounce Superman coin's mintage is 3.000 and not 3500 as someone mentioned. I could not resist....I bought!!
Jan 15, 2006
444 posts
49 upvotes
New1954 wrote: The new 3 ounce Superman coin's mintage is 3.000 and not 3500 as someone mentioned. I could not resist....I bought!!
I like this coin too!
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12698 posts
15949 upvotes
RelleR wrote: Superman coins refuse to die! Count me in for one now, possibly cancel preorder and save $25 or so in taxes by ordering with Gatewest later.

…Thoughts on the 2oz. Pure Silver 'Flora and Fauna of Canada' - mintage: 4000 coin? ($30 face value; 50mm diameter) for $179.95.

- Seems decently priced for being on the lower end of mintage. Sleeper of the month potential?
Superman coins (except for the 1st gold one) are dead as doornail. There is no interest in them. You have to sell them for a big discount if you want to get rid of them. Buy it now if you like it but wait a few months you can probably get it for a discount.

As for the Flora coin, don't see anything in it. Another dud. When it comes to mintage nowadays 4000 is way too high.

"Sleeper" hit this month? Is there such a thing? Was there one last month? Or was there one the month before? I don't think we have "sleeper" hit since the Pysanka coin.
Have a nice day!

Jan 30, 2009
702 posts
83 upvotes
Victoria
LonesomeDove wrote: Superman coins (except for the 1st gold one) are dead as doornail. There is no interest in them. You have to sell them for a big discount if you want to get rid of them. Buy it now if you like it but wait a few months you can probably get it for a discount.

As for the Flora coin, don't see anything in it. Another dud. When it comes to mintage nowadays 4000 is way too high.

"Sleeper" hit this month? Is there such a thing? Was there one last month? Or was there one the month before? I don't think we have "sleeper" hit since the Pysanka coin.
All valid points. Thanks for your input!

(Still going to order a Superman, but now I'm wondering if I should wait for a discount)
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2015
1755 posts
285 upvotes
Something interesting I noticed about the 3oz Superman gold plated coin. RCM didn't clutter up the design with year, country, or denomination, etc. That 's all on the obverse.

I think it's a unique and great looking design, but will buy only if there's a significant price drop.

So far, there are 3 listings on eBay, and not one sale yet. Still available at CC&C.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12698 posts
15949 upvotes
Looney4Numi wrote: Something interesting I noticed about the 3oz Superman gold plated coin. RCM didn't clutter up the design with year, country, or denomination, etc. That 's all on the obverse.

I think it's a unique and great looking design, but will buy only if there's a significant price drop.

So far, there are 3 listings on eBay, and not one sale yet. Still available at CC&C.
Still available at the RCM too. 331 coins left. Why would anyone buy from eBay if is available at the Mint or other dealer at issue price.

The high cost of $319 is holding it back.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2015
1755 posts
285 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote: Why would anyone buy from eBay if is available at the Mint or other dealer at issue price.
I've often asked that question myself, but people do buy coins on eBay for a higher price (for some strange reason) even if they still are available at dealers.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2015
1755 posts
285 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Great deal can you lend me $3,655.00 I have the .88 cents.
lol...and don't forget that it's the "Last One."
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2014
1155 posts
97 upvotes
Why is that coin priced at such an exorbitant price?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2015
1755 posts
285 upvotes
Alt1ma wrote: Why is that coin priced at such an exorbitant price?
Because this seller appears to be going crazy. It's always the "last one," and when it really is the last one he raises the price to ridiculous levels.

According to his "solds," his last sale for this coin was on May 7, so maybe this is an act of desperation, maybe not. Who knows?

I truly believe the poor guy is losing it.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
48990 posts
10269 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Looney4Numi wrote: Because this seller appears to be going crazy. It's always the "last one," and when it really is the last one he raises the price to ridiculous levels.

According to his "solds," his last sale for this coin was on May 7, so maybe this is an act of desperation, maybe not. Who knows?

I truly believe the poor guy is losing it.
I talked about my belief a few weeks back.

He likely doesn't have any left, the high price is him basically saying, I don't have any left, but if you're willing to pay me this price, I'll buy it from someone else and sell it to you.

Believe it or not, this works from time to time, mainly because of eBay's "Best Match" and when you have a listing with tons of sales.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2015
1755 posts
285 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: He likely doesn't have any left, the high price is him basically saying, I don't have any left, but if you're willing to pay me this price, I'll buy it from someone else and sell it to you.
But who in their right mind would even contact a seller who is asking $3655.88 for a $139.95 coin, especially when there are many still available at issue price?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2012
4947 posts
425 upvotes
Gloucester, Canada
Looney4Numi wrote: But who in their right mind would even contact a seller who is asking $3655.88 for a $139.95 coin, especially when there are many still available at issue price?
you be surprise how ignorant some buyers are and you only need one sucker.
sign by: someone