Personal Finance

RFD collector and numismatic Coins discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 11:55 pm
Jan 25, 2013
111 posts
20 upvotes
Whitby
I ordered 2 mixed Toonie rolls from Colonial Acres.
Both rolls had the GITD coin facing out on both ends.
Thanks Colonial Acres!!!!

I also ordered 2 rolls of mixed quarters and didn't get one coloured facing out at all.

@ozzie16, did you keep any coloured rolls intact? I'm not brave enough to open my rolls.
Oct 27, 2012
239 posts
43 upvotes
GTA
SoulBrotherNo3 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 11:13 am

@ozzie16, did you keep any coloured rolls intact? I'm not brave enough to open my rolls.
I've broken open two so far - ones that did not have a colour coin facing out. First roll was 10/25 GITD Coins, second was 13/25 GITD.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38893 posts
1250 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SimuN22 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2017 1:33 pm
Seriously........there's only 3 million of them??

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mint-gets- ... -1.3460320

btw TCS soldout singles (price posted $6 each)
I don't think 3M is particularly low. Recent commemorative toonies, such as HMS Shannon and Boreal Forest had a 5M mintage and they haven't really appreciated much. The famous 1991 quarter only had 459K mintage.
**BRAND NEW** Coway AP-1012GH Smart Air Purifier with HEPA Filter - $130
**75% OFF Retail!**

Silver Coins | Coway AP-1012GH Smart Air Purifier with HEPA Filter
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10955 posts
14425 upvotes
Three Million of the GITD Toonies is relatively small compared to the Canada 150 $10 banknotes which has 40 million of them printed. Even the banknotes are getting hard to find at banks as some have run out of them or limiting to 2 per person.

Comparing the GITD $2 to the Boreal Forest coins or Shannon ship coin is not fair as no one cares about them. The GITD coin commemorates Canada's 150th anniversary and is the first circulation GITD coin. There is huge demand for them as seen in the long lineups at the Vancouver Boutique, which ran out of them on the second day. There is print and TV coverage of the GITD coin and everyone wants one of them. People are going to hoard them if they get them in the change. Hoarding is also going on the rolls level. The best chance to get rolls is if you run a business and you need $1000's for change each week. I am sure they are going to pick them off before they get to the public.

With more than 35 Million population in Canada and only 3 million coins there are not enough to go around, unlike the 40 Million banknotes.
Have a nice day!

Apr 29, 2015
885 posts
134 upvotes
All these posts today about the GITD Toonies got me excited, especially SimuN22's post about the 3 million maximum. Just bought a few more rolls. lol

Congrats to those who are able to source them at banks without the premium/taxes.
Oct 27, 2012
239 posts
43 upvotes
GTA
Many banks sold out very quickly of GITD toonie rolls. One branch I went to received a single box of rolls in the morning, and they were out by 9:30am (less than an hour and a half after opening). Another branch I went to had them in the morning, sold out about an hour later, they got more in the afternoon and then sold out again within an hour. At one branch, I picked up a roll, and others at the counter and in the line saw, and also immediately asked for a roll - it was like watching vultures on a carcass.

All in all, I scooped up 17 rolls yesterday from various banks. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I suspect some bank branches are going to only start giving out individual coins. Two branches I went to refused to give me a roll and would only give me 5 coins (breaking open the roll in front of me).
Apr 29, 2015
885 posts
134 upvotes
ozzie16 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 10:03 am
Many banks sold out very quickly of GITD toonie rolls. One branch I went to received a single box of rolls in the morning, and they were out by 9:30am (less than an hour and a half after opening). Another branch I went to had them in the morning, sold out about an hour later, they got more in the afternoon and then sold out again within an hour. At one branch, I picked up a roll, and others at the counter and in the line saw, and also immediately asked for a roll - it was like watching vultures on a carcass.

All in all, I scooped up 17 rolls yesterday from various banks. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I suspect some bank branches are going to only start giving out individual coins. Two branches I went to refused to give me a roll and would only give me 5 coins (breaking open the roll in front of me).
Interesting story...like watching vultures on a carcass. lol

Looks like 3 million coins are not enough to go around, as LonesomeDove stated.

You are lucky!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3967 posts
478 upvotes
ozzie16 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 10:03 am

Busy day for you.

17 pcs GITD $2 roll? Congratulation.
Dealers are selling minimum $65 ( including tax & shipping ) per roll, $15 premium on each roll x 17 rolls = $255 saving for one day roll hunting.
Not bad at all.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10955 posts
14425 upvotes

Price of the rolls have skyrocketed. I went to at least 20 banks in the Vancouver area in the last 2 weeks and none had them. Some banks say they may have them later. Maybe banks in Vancouver have not receive their shipments yet.

I ordered more rolls from Imaginaire before they ran out but got no shipping notice. I have a feeling my order won't be fulfilled.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3967 posts
478 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 2:31 pm

Price of the rolls have skyrocketed. I went to at least 20 banks in the Vancouver area in the last 2 weeks and none had them. Some banks say they may have them later. Maybe banks in Vancouver have not receive their shipments yet.

I ordered more rolls from Imaginaire before they ran out but got no shipping notice. I have a feeling my order won't be fulfilled.
Did you make payment already on Imaginaire's order?

I bought last few rolls from Imaginaire yesterday. Still waiting on Imaginaire's e-mail for final confirmation.

Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
10955 posts
14425 upvotes
justsilver wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 2:45 pm

I bought last few rolls from Imaginaire yesterday. Still waiting on Imaginaire's e-mail for final confirmation.

I ordered on Thursday and paid by credit card. I received a "we have received your order" email confirmation but no shipping notice. On my previous order I got shipping notice one day after ordering. They are pretty fast, already got my last order.
Have a nice day!

Oct 27, 2012
239 posts
43 upvotes
GTA
Picked up another 10 rolls today from 3 RBC branches. 7/10 this time had GITD ones facing out.

I also found a branch which had inventory of everything from nickels up to the toonie. Took the opportunity and bought 5 rolls of quarters on top.

So far in my experience RBC has been a pretty safe bet for getting GITD toonie rolls.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3967 posts
478 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 3:23 pm
I ordered on Thursday and paid by credit card. I received a "we have received your order" email confirmation but no shipping notice. On my previous order I got shipping notice one day after ordering. They are pretty fast, already got my last order.
Maybe ordered close to weekend take staff longer to process orders
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
38893 posts
1250 upvotes
Richmond Hill
justsilver wrote:
Jun 17th, 2017 2:45 pm

I was wondering who bought the last 50-ish rolls :D

I was looking last evening and they had 50-ish rolls left, decided to buy a few more, and this morning they were all gone.
**BRAND NEW** Coway AP-1012GH Smart Air Purifier with HEPA Filter - $130
**75% OFF Retail!**

Silver Coins | Coway AP-1012GH Smart Air Purifier with HEPA Filter
Heatware | RFD Feedback

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)