RFD collector and numismatic Coins discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 3:35 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2013
1844 posts
412 upvotes
Calgary
Went to local CIBC and they had a full sealed box of non-coloured Armistice Toonie. All shrink wrapped. Not a single roll had coloured on top or bottom. We broke open a few rolls and none coloured.

Conclusion: full coloured boxes exist somewhere.....lol

This is a strange departure from how coloured vs non-coloured have been done in the past

Btw no other bank in my area has any Armistice Toonie (and they don’t care....lol)

I can’t be bothered to hunt circ Coins anymore

New 10s next week, on the other hand, I will hunt good serial # ;) due to first ‘vertical bill’
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2015
1370 posts
204 upvotes
SimuN22 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 7:14 pm
New 10s next week, on the other hand, I will hunt good serial # ;) due to first ‘vertical bill’
Good idea. Thanks for the reminder.

Got lucky last year with the 2017 $10 Commemorative bills.
Sep 26, 2016
25 posts
2 upvotes
There will probably be more than 30 million of the new ten dollar notes printed for this release , most likely way more than 30 million, why would they have more collectability than a 1 million toonie
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
2951 posts
240 upvotes
Looney4Numi wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 6:43 pm
That's the best price yet also because they charge tax only on the amount above FV.
Imaginaire was giving %15 off for Black Friday
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2013
1844 posts
412 upvotes
Calgary
toronto473 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 10:13 pm
There will probably be more than 30 million of the new ten dollar notes printed for this release , most likely way more than 30 million, why would they have more collectability than a 1 million toonie
Well, it's like anything else; new release offers the chance to collect in pristine condition. Good serial #s fetch a variety of premiums.
Last year I looked through about $40,000 worth of 'untouched/bundled' commemorative bills to search for good ones.....but I'm not going to elaborate on how that was possible ;)

Maybe this link helps: https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/make-mo ... orth-more/
Sep 26, 2016
25 posts
2 upvotes
Currency collectors always value really low and solid #, and to a lesser degree radar notes, but just like last years special 150 ten dollar note there was 40 million produced and latter the banks couldn't give them away, that is the massive difference between 40 million and 1 million.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2013
1844 posts
412 upvotes
Calgary
toronto473 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 12:51 pm
Currency collectors always value really low and solid #, and to a lesser degree radar notes, but just like last years special 150 ten dollar note there was 40 million produced and latter the banks couldn't give them away, that is the massive difference between 40 million and 1 million.
yeah I'm just saying there's an opportunity next week.....by sharing here, each RFDer has opportunity to check local banks (if they're interested) before lots of bundles are broken

checking bundles goes quick if the notes are mostly in sequence...can just thumb through the bundles and you'll know quickly if anything good is in there based on sequence.......getting to those bundles before they are dispersed to customers or other bank tellers is the key...I'll spend less than 5 seconds on any particular bundle

In terms of 1 million or 40 million......it's not particularly relevant to me in this case. Mintage often matters but the threshold varies per numis item, I once snapped up a roll of 1991 quarters for a relatively good price but that key date was Mintage: 459,000.

but the bills are all about finding the 'needle in a haystack', the key serial numbers are there waiting....... (usually)

I personally don't see the Armistice toonies doing anything beyond selling them for 2X, 3X, 4x, maybe 5x to the odd person that wants a single coin.

With that said, if my local bank gets full coloured rolls and sells them to me at FV with little hassle then ......yeah I'll stock up.......
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2005
1738 posts
82 upvotes
Calgary
SimuN22 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 7:14 pm
Went to local CIBC and they had a full sealed box of non-coloured Armistice Toonie. All shrink wrapped. Not a single roll had coloured on top or bottom. We broke open a few rolls and none coloured.
Which CIBC was it? I have been visiting different banks and couldn't find any Armistice Toonie. A Scotiabank teller even said it's not a Canadian coin ...
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2013
1844 posts
412 upvotes
Calgary
engo wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 1:37 am
Which CIBC was it? I have been visiting different banks and couldn't find any Armistice Toonie. A Scotiabank teller even said it's not a Canadian coin ...
A town just outside of Calgary that has 1 CIBC location....but I've had similar luck at other small town branches of RBC and ATB. Sorry I can't be more precise as it's my #1 source for certain numis things so I'm a bit protective of it. ;) I'm on the road a lot so it's easy although these days I don't try very hard

That is hilarious a Scotiabank said your Armistice Toonie is not even a Canadian coin.....lol

I similarly find that many teller have absolutely no clue or interest in bank note serial #s...........I even try to explain lots of 8s is good but they don't care
Aug 22, 2014
28 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary, AB
engo and SimuN22. The Royal Canadian Mint has a pop-up shop on the 2nd floor of the Westin Hotel, 320 4th Avenue S.W. Calgary November 17 9-5 and November 18 9-12 with the colored Armistice Toonie.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2013
1844 posts
412 upvotes
Calgary
Cascia wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 12:06 am
engo and SimuN22. The Royal Canadian Mint has a pop-up shop on the 2nd floor of the Westin Hotel, 320 4th Avenue S.W. Calgary November 17 9-5 and November 18 9-12 with the colored Armistice Toonie.
Thanks for tip Cascia (gave you a thumbs up) but too much hassle for me to have some Mint Rep tell me I can only have 1 coin or something...I'd only go for rolls or entire boxes

btw New update on 10s.......which are getting even more news coverage for tomorrow

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/viola-des ... -1.4182073

I can't help but wonder if RCM plans to phase out all our bills and switch them over to the vertical format in the coming years.....it's gonna be so weird to have one vertical bill and the rest horizontal.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11340 posts
14660 upvotes
SimuN22 wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 1:04 pm

I can't help but wonder if RCM plans to phase out all our bills and switch them over to the vertical format in the coming years.....it's gonna be so weird to have one vertical bill and the rest horizontal.
The New $10 is first of the new vertical designed banknotes to be rolled out in the next couple of years.

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/v ... ble-woman/

The Desmond $10 Note and Beyond – Changes Coming to Your Bank Notes

The Bank has now designed this new $10 note featuring Viola Desmond. Through consultation with subject matter experts, the reverse side of the note depicts symbols and images that represent the broader themes of social justice and the struggle for rights and freedoms.

To continue to celebrate more iconic Canadians, the next $5 note will also feature a new portrait subject and supporting imagery. In due course, the Bank will launch another consultation process to seek input from Canadians on the design of the next $5 note, building on the success of this most recent process.

This will be a few years in the making. The new $10 note is expected in late 2018, and the new $5 note will follow a few years after that, but soon enough two new notable Canadians will be celebrated on our currency. The subsequent notes (the $20, $50 and $100 notes) will follow every two to three years.

Macdonald and Laurier

As Viola Desmond is featured on the $10 note, and another iconic Canadian will be featured on the future $5 note, Canada’s first Prime Minister, Sir John A. Macdonald, and our first francophone Prime Minister, Sir Wilfrid Laurier, will be honoured on our higher value bank notes. This will take place when the higher value notes are redesigned.

These changes mean that former prime ministers William Lyon Mackenzie King and Sir Robert Borden will no longer be portrayed on bank notes. The $20 denomination will continue to feature the reigning monarch.

This design approach affords the opportunity to showcase and celebrate more great Canadians, while maintaining our proud historic roots.
Have a nice day!

Aug 22, 2014
28 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Appreciate the thumbs up SimuN22! Thanks for the update on the new $10 bill.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

DumDum