Contests

Locked: [Other] RFD Contests Forum - Frequently Asked Questions for Contesters and Posters

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2013 1:15 am
Tags:
None
SCORE
+13
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm only interested in viewing the "Once" contests. How can I do this?

Beside each contest thread there is a "Thread Prefix" that corresponds to the entry frequencies of "Once", "Daily", "Weekly", etc. Just click any of these filters to view only the one you're interested in. After that, you can continue to sort either by Title order or Thread Start Date order for the threads you've filtered.
+2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I found a problem with the contest post. What should I do?

If it's just human error, you can send a Private Message ("PM") to the thread starter ("OP") to tell him/her that you found an error (for example the expiry date is incorrect) and ask them to investigate and fix it if necessary.

If it's a violation of RFD Forum rules (for example someone has included a referral link in the contest post, or it's a duplication ("repost") of an existing contest thread), then your best course of action is notify a RFD Moderator by using the " :!: Report Post" link beneath the offending post and typing in a message explaining the problem.
+2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
How do I keep track of threads that I've already looked at?

There are lots of ways to do this, these are just the more common ones. Most contesters use more than one.
  • Keep a list (see above). This is all about staying organized with your contesting.
  • Use the "Stylish" add-on for Firefox or Chrome. This will automatically change the colour of any hyperlink you've clicked on from the browser default (usually blue) to whatever colour you choose. Here's the link to Frugal_Fanboy's excellent post on how to install and use it: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/contest- ... st15025299
  • Post a reply to each thread you've seen. People who use this method usually reply "Thanks" after they've entered the contest, or "Good Luck" if they've decided not to enter. Any thread you've replied to will show a little blue arrow in the icon to the left of the thread title. The advantage to this is that it's easy to scan the forum, and see which threads you've already replied to. The disadvantage is that every time you reply to a thread, it "bumps" that thread to the top of the thread list (this is the RFD default). Another disadvantage is that other people tend to miss when important information is posted within a thread because either they ignore the bump thinking that it's just someone replying "Thanks" again, or the useful replies get buried under all the thanks-ing that's going on.
  • A compromise to this is to utilize the Last Contest Marked ("LCM") method (http://forums.redflagdeals.com/poll-rep ... st16183578) where you sort the contest threads in "Thread Start Date" order, and only Mark the Last Contest thread you've viewed/entered in that particular session. Then you know what your starting point is the next time you come back to the Forum.
  • Use the "Thanks" button (see below). You can find this below the poster's name in the thread. Many people will click on the Thanks button when they've entered the contrst. If they come back to the thread again later, it will show that they've thanked the OP for the post, and you know you've already entered. The advantage of this, is that it doesn't bump threads and also saves you time from having to post a reply in every thread you see. Plus it's just being polite to show your gratitude to the OP if you've benefitted from their post. The disadvantage is that you can't see the thanks you've given until you've actually gone into a thread.
Regardless of which method you choose, please be aware that the majority of RFD's contesters are in favour of not using the method of replying "Thanks" and "Good luck" to every contest you view/enter. Poll results and discussion here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/poll-rep ... s-1283005/
+2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What's this "Thanks" button I see below the poster's name?

It's RFD's version of a "reputation" system that's common on many forum websites. Whether or not you use it is totally up to you (but it doesn't cost you anything, and it's polite - not to mention the OP's aren't forced to share the contests the find, so why not show a little love?). Some RFDers use it regularly. Some never use it at all.

You can also use the "Thanks" button to thank other people who've contributed to the thread, whether by providing useful advise or posting contest codes/PINs/UPCs, and so on.
+2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've entered a voting contest - can I ask for votes? I can get bonus entries if people enter using my code - can I post my referral link here?

NO. Vote solicitation and/or posting of referral links for bonus entries are strictly prohibited by the RFD Forum rules. If you solicit for votes or post a referral link, your post will be deleted or edited by the moderators. Likewise, if you come across a request for votes or a referral link, please report the post to the moderators by using the " :!: Report Post" link beneath the offending post and typing in a message explaining the problem.

If you want to ask for votes or bonus referral entries, you'll have to ask your friends/contacts directly via email or social media.

Note: using RFD's Private Messaging system to solicit for votes or referral entries is considered SPAM and will likely lead to a banning.
+2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'd like to post a contest I found. How should I format the contest thread title?

Every thread title should be formatted as follows:

Expiry Date - Sponsor/Host name - Contest title/Prize description - Exclusions/Restrictions
  • The expiry date is the final date (and sometimes time of day) at which entries will still be accepted. Most contests will end at 11:59:59pm EST/EDT, so that's what we assume in a thread title. If it ends in another time zone (e.g. PST) it's usually a good idea to say so, especially if the contest is "Daily" entry. By mutual agreement, RFD's regular contest posters write expiry dates in YYYY/MM/DD format and place them at the head of the thread title.
  • The sponsor is the company/organization providing the resources (cash or material prizes) to hold the contest, while the host is the name of the website/page where the contest can be found. Contest hosts and contest sponsors are sometimes the same, sometimes not. In cases where there are many organizations sponsoring the prize(s), it's usually just easier to list the host's name
  • Some common exclusions and restrictions are:
    [INDENT]
  • "FB" - must have a Facebook acccount to enter
  • "Tw" - must have a Twitter account to enter
  • "QC no" - everyone except Quebec residents are eligible
  • "BC only" - only British Columbia residents are eligible
  • "GTA best" - you can enter if you're from outside the GTA, but the prize may only be practical for GTA residents (for example, flights only leave from YYZ, or tickets are for a Leafs game at the ACC, or prizes must be picked up at the Sponsor/Host's offices in Toronto)
  • "Judged" - selection of winner is non-random, by a judge
  • "Voted" - selection of winner is non-random, by a vote of your peers
  • "PIN/NPE" - entry requires a code provided when purchasing the sponsor's product. A No-Purchase-Entry option is also available[/INDENT]
For more information, see here:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/contest- ... g-1284737/
+2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Why are expiry dates formatted as YYYY/MM/DD and placed at the start of the thread title?

It's so that when a user performs a "Title Sort" in ascending order it will display contests in order of expiry date from soonest to latest.
+2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What information should I include in the body of the contest post?

Best practices minimum should include:
  • a link to the entry form
  • a link to the rules (or else a statement that the rules are either "embedded" meaning that you can't link the rules directly, or that the rules are "on entry page" meaning that they're listed on the same page as the entry form)
  • a description of the prize and the value of that prize if available
  • a description of any complexities to the contest: for example if entries run on a non-standard schedule, or if there are specific requirements to entry such as a photo upload or essay requirement, or entry requires a mail-in, to name a few
+2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Why is reposting a contest bad?

Mainly because contest entrants can be disqualified for entering a contest more than the permitted number of times, and reposting a contest may cause a user to enter it again by mistake.

Also, superfluous posts unnecessarily take up database space.

Finally, it's a disservice to the OP of the original contest thread that you've duplicated, especially if your repost was willful rather than simply an error.

So please search for existing contest threads (see below) before you create one of your own.
+2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
How do I search for existing contest threads?

Use the "Search Forum" box directly above the list of threads. Note that this is different from the "Search Forums" box near the top of the Forum page. The first search will only search within Contests Forum. The latter search will search the entirety of the RFD Forums.

Search for a word that appears within the URL for either the contest entry or contest rules (or both), and that is reasonably uncommon.

For example with these contest links: You can try searching "fatboxes" or "Wonderbreadcanada" because they're not particularly likely to show up elsewhere. On the other hand "rules" and "facebook" would NOT be good search terms.

You could also search other related words such as "wonder" and "bread".

This above method will work 99% of the time. Some exceptions are:
  • the word is either too long, or too short (RFD's search engine requires search terms to be at least three characters)
  • when a particular contest has different URLs you can enter from, but the OP has only included one of them in the post
+2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Why did you remove/edit my referral link?

Because posting of referral links for bonus entries is prohibited by RFD Forum rules
+2
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Why was the URL for my contest censored / why was my contest thread deleted?

In some specific situations, you may see some or all of the contest URL you've written replaced by "*****". This is RFD's auto-filter at work. The auto-filter may have been triggered for one of two reasons:
  • The URL may contain a word that's been forbidden by RFD Community standards. For example: until recently the word "salt water" was caught by the auto-filter, because when it's written as one word it contains the word "twat" (a slang term for a woman's genitalia). In this case, it's absolutely no fault of your own - the auto-filter is simply being hyperactive. If you encounter a problem similar to that, you can post a request in the Site Comments & Suggestions Forum for it to be removed from the auto-filter (of course YMMV depending on the word). Until that happens, the only way around that is to type the URL as "www.salt_water.com" or "www.salt-water.com" or "www.salt water.com" and tell readers to remove the underscore/hyphen/space when they're going to the site.
  • The URL may be a direct link to an RFD competitor, which is also forbidden by RFD Forum rules. In many cases, such competitor may already be included in the auto-filter so you'll see the "*****" show up as soon as you hit either preview or submit in the editor. In some cases, it may not be auto-filtered but someone may have reported it in which case a mod may or may not decide to edit it, or delete the thread entirely (YMMV, depending on the mod).
A few examples of forbidden sites are (acronyms only):
  • GCR (auto-filtered)
  • SC (auto-filtered)
  • FL (not auto-filtered, but still technically forbidden)
  • SL (not auto-filtered, but still technically forbidden)
+2
× < >