The RFD - Cryptocurrency Mega Thread

Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2745 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
6060842 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:56 pm
Nice ,thanks, anything similar for other coins like litecoin, Monero etc?
I haven't kept up with all the big exchanges, but what I did when I was actively trading Alts was register on bittrex and binance, then I'd transfer Litecoin or ETH purchased from quadrigaCX or shakepay to my exchange address and sell/trade for a larger variety of Alts on those exchanges.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
5443 posts
5555 upvotes
6060842 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:54 pm
Looking to dabble in some cryptos now that last year's mania has turned upside down. Seems to be quite a PITA to buy and even more difficult to sell though. Trading sites I've looked at all seem to have their drawbacks. Looking for a site that one can trade in $CDN, that doesn't charge excessive fees or actively discourage small accounts , AND, preferably one doesn't have a crazy verification process to open an account. I did look at QuadrigacX but read that they discourage small accounts and the verification process seems a bit much if one is trading a couple thousand dollars max. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Shakepay, best one right now hands down. Responsive support and customer care, which is the biggest gap in the crypto world today. Reasonable fees and the ability to buy BTC or ETH straight from Cad$.

Rod
Build a comprehensive portfolio based on Investing and Trading strategies. Check out these threads and join the discussion:

Investing strategy based on dividend growth

Trading strategy based on Graham principles.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2801 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto
6060842 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 6:56 pm
Nice ,thanks, anything similar for other coins like litecoin, Monero etc?
Long answer is just below (buying from shakepay, moving it to an "alt coin exchange" and trading, etc)

Short answer is no - not aware of any option to just load your account with $CAD and then buy any altcoin of your choice.

Only one I can think of is QCX - you can buy whatever alt they have on there with $CAD (ETH, LTC, BCH and it's forks?)
Dec 7, 2009
813 posts
97 upvotes
Im going to try the ATM plan later today to fund my hot wallet with a small amount. If the seller accepts multiple crypto options is it better to buy one over the other ? I was thinking Litecoin because I heard it had less fees. Not really planning on holding any of these. Just buy and use.

So more simply put. If I’m buying crypto from an atm to fund a wallet to pay for a service, is there a reason to choose one currency over another?

Thanks.
Feb 4, 2017
96 posts
15 upvotes
quadrigacx is closed for maintenance since last 2 days. No more information.
Is this bad news?
Dec 25, 2008
152 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
bhushh009 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 11:02 am
Is this bad news?
It's not looking good. They were having problems with withdrawals for a while now. If the website doesn't come up soon a lot of money been lost from everyone.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
3788 posts
46 upvotes
bhushh009 wrote:
Jan 30th, 2019 11:02 am
Is this bad news?
Things are not looking so great they have a new message on site
Message from QuadrigaCX Board of Directors
January 31, 2019

Dear Customers,

An application for creditor protection in accordance with the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA) was filed today in the Nova Scotia Supreme Court to allow us the opportunity to address the significant financial issues that have affected our ability to serve our customers. The Court is being asked at a preliminary hearing on Tuesday February 5 to appoint a monitor, Ernst & Young Inc., as an independent third party to oversee these proceedings.

For the past weeks, we have worked extensively to address our liquidity issues, which include attempting to locate and secure our very significant cryptocurrency reserves held in cold wallets, and that are required to satisfy customer cryptocurrency balances on deposit, as well as sourcing a financial institution to accept the bank drafts that are to be transferred to us. Unfortunately, these efforts have not been successful. Further updates will be issued after the hearing.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2008
2801 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto
GotDaFunk wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 10:31 am
Im going to try the ATM plan later today to fund my hot wallet with a small amount. If the seller accepts multiple crypto options is it better to buy one over the other ? I was thinking Litecoin because I heard it had less fees. Not really planning on holding any of these. Just buy and use.

So more simply put. If I’m buying crypto from an atm to fund a wallet to pay for a service, is there a reason to choose one currency over another?

Thanks.
More or less yea - $LTC
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2354 posts
534 upvotes
Belle River
Is there another Canadian site like QuadrigaCX?

I'm a noob and just started out before it went down. I might never really get into the investing side but I am starting to use bitcoin to pay for things. I know there are services that can take a credit card and just send a bitcoin payment to an address immediately, but even then I don't know which I'd wanna trust with my credit card information. With QuadrigaCX I had only use cash funding, Canada Post never worked but I was able to use Flexepin. I believe those options generally have higher fees but since it was all new to me I wanted to avoid giving anyone credit card information.

I looked at Coinbase but I don't see how to easily fund it as a Canadian. I also read that Binance now has funding via debit/credit card, maybe that's an option. I did read the OP :). Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.
Feb 1, 2017
146 posts
28 upvotes
hystavito wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 12:18 pm
Is there another Canadian site like QuadrigaCX?

I'm a noob and just started out before it went down. I might never really get into the investing side but I am starting to use bitcoin to pay for things. I know there are services that can take a credit card and just send a bitcoin payment to an address immediately, but even then I don't know which I'd wanna trust with my credit card information. With QuadrigaCX I had only use cash funding, Canada Post never worked but I was able to use Flexepin. I believe those options generally have higher fees but since it was all new to me I wanted to avoid giving anyone credit card information.

I looked at Coinbase but I don't see how to easily fund it as a Canadian. I also read that Binance now has funding via debit/credit card, maybe that's an option. I did read the OP :). Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.
Shakepay
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2354 posts
534 upvotes
Belle River
phisherman wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 12:37 pm
Shakepay
chowder wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 2:07 pm
coinsquare/coinberry
Oh yeah Shakepay, that was on my list of possibles, I think I got it from this thread but again wasn't too sure about it.

At a glance coinsquare seems to have the most funding options, including cash. I'll go over fees and all that later, but it looks like one of those 3 should work for me.

Thank you very much.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1999 posts
268 upvotes
Sidney
With Quadriga gone, what is everyone in Canada using to SELL crypto for fiat?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2745 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
favelle75 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 2:30 pm
With Quadriga gone, what is everyone in Canada using to SELL crypto for fiat?
Shakepay
Sep 27, 2017
11 posts
9 upvotes
Ok,

How do we know that Shakepay/Coinsquare/Coinberry/Einstien Exchanges are any more legit in it's operations than QuadrigaCX ?

I will be more inclined seek a peer-to-peer solution in Canada. Has anyone ever used linkcoin.pro or localbitcoins.com?