Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 2:07 pm
Mar 8, 2004
755 posts
289 upvotes
papermate2 wrote: Where are people buying cycling jerseys and bibs with good shipping? Located in Toronto.

I generally wear a size medium Pearl Izumi jersey. Trying to avoid Rapha look.
You may get a bit of a reaction here on avoiding Rapha.

Have you considered Decathlon?

If you live in Toronto and want to look at the higher end, La Bicicletta has some of the more expensive brands for both bibs and jerseys.
Jan 22, 2017
394 posts
252 upvotes
GTA
Gabriella wrote: You may get a bit of a reaction here on avoiding Rapha.

Have you considered Decathlon?

If you live in Toronto and want to look at the higher end, La Bicicletta has some of the more expensive brands for both bibs and jerseys.
Lol I'm not pro enough for Rapha. Also, I need something with a roomier fit.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
papermate2 wrote: Where are people buying cycling jerseys and bibs with good shipping? Located in Toronto.

I generally wear a size medium Pearl Izumi jersey. Trying to avoid Rapha look.
Rapha look, which is nothing out of the ordinary OR Rapha prices, which are nuts.

Either way, go online for jerseys. Just make sure nothing is race cut.
Try https://www.pedalclothing.co/ and if not then the usual MEC or Sail.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
papermate2 wrote: Lol I'm not pro enough for Rapha. Also, I need something with a roomier fit.
Decathlon stuff is good value. Otherwise, I just buy whatever is on sale at any of the local bike shops. I got a couple Oakley bibs and jerseys for dirt cheap from SVP last year.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Im thinking of replacing my roof rack with a hitch rack. I need to carry two road bikes.
What do you guys use and what do you like and most likely do not like about it? What would you get instead?
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14184 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Im thinking of replacing my roof rack with a hitch rack. I need to carry two road bikes.
What do you guys use and what do you like and most likely do not like about it? What would you get instead?
I have a Yakima Literider 3 that I use the most.

It's good for 2 bikes, 3 in a pinch. I find that the case with most hitch racks, buy for one bigger than the number of bikes you need to carry.

Lots of people suggest platform racks but I find them way too big when not in use.

I have an older Thule Vertex 4 bike that I use mostly in the winter. The bikes aren't as stable as they don't have the 3rd clamp around the seatpost.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys can anyone recommend a helmet? I have the POC Omne Air Spin and wanted to get another one when I go for back to back rides.
I am current eyeing the Kask Protone
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14184 upvotes
Toronto
DimsumDeals wrote: Hey guys can anyone recommend a helmet? I have the POC Omne Air Spin and wanted to get another one when I go for back to back rides.
Helmets all fit differently, it's basically like recommending a saddle for someone.
Feb 25, 2003
321 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Im thinking of replacing my roof rack with a hitch rack. I need to carry two road bikes.
I have used/owned a Yakima Holdup, Thule T2, Swagman, Thule Helium Platform. You would have to consider first if your hitch is 1-1/4" or 2", as some racks are specific. I don't recommend getting a 2" adapter for a 1-1/4" rack. I tried it on my Yakima Holdup, and no matter what I did, there was still some sway and wobble. Otherwise, the Yakima Holdup was a decent rack and I didn't have any issues with it, other than it's a bit heavy and cumbersome to move around when off the car. Thule T2 is fairly similar. Swagman, heavy, and not popular at all. Now I'm using a Thule Helium platform, fits both size hitches (if that matters to you), and is fairly lightweight. All good, until one of the wheel trays seizes on you, and each wheel tray sells for $368 currently, unless you're the 1st owner and have warranty.
What would I get instead? Maybe a Kuat NV 2.0 or Sherpa 2.0 if I want to save some weight. No complaints from my fellow cyclists who have them. Otherwise, spring for the 1Up rack, (or Quikr) everyone swears by them, lightweight, easy to use, Made in USA, etc. Or if you want the latest and greatest, a Kuat Piston Pro, same system of holding the tires, but with a $1700+ price tag.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
DimsumDeals wrote: Hey guys can anyone recommend a helmet? I have the POC Omne Air Spin and wanted to get another one when I go for back to back rides.
Whats wrong with using the same helmet????? Also, if you like what you have, just get a different colour because fit is very subjective and all heads are different.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
For roof rack:
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1705 posts
148 upvotes
I know WAY too many people that have done that... I'll never have a roof rack.

I drive a truck, so I can throw a bike or two in the bed or in the back of the cab. I also have a Thule Bed Rider for longer trips and/or mountain bike use. The advantage of the Thule is that I can lock stuff up if we stop for a post ride beer....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
peli33 wrote: For roof rack:
Some ppl should not be allowed to drive. Simple as that. Stupidity has to hurt or we dont learn.

now...... $500 for a hitch and $600 for a rack..... that is also going to hurt.
Feb 11, 2009
413 posts
148 upvotes
What are you guys' thoughts on a higher end aluminum bike vs an entry carbon bike? It seems like weight is not much a difference so what exactly are the benefits? Is it just road feel from aluminum vs carbon?
I'm only a recreational rider who 90% goes on cycling paths and the other 10% is probably biking on my way to the path. Will be using this bike 100% for fitness purposes. Yes I know the specialized is a bit overpriced for what it is, but not going to lie, I like the integrated cockpit look from the SL7. Currently riding a Giant hybrid Escape 2

Options I'm currently interested in (all have 105 groupsets):

Carbon
Trek Emonda SL5 $3,979.99 - 20.18 lbs
TCR ADVANCED DISC 2 PRO COMPACT $3,799 - 18.92 lbs

Aluminium
Specialized Allez Sprint Comp $3,699.00 19.36 lbs
CAAD13 Disc 105 $3,035 19.9 lbs

Despite being carbon, the two carbon seem to weigh very closely to the alum bikes I posted
Open to other suggestions of bike as well.
Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
steph3n wrote: What are you guys' thoughts on a higher end aluminum bike vs an entry carbon bike? It seems like weight is not much a difference so what exactly are the benefits? Is it just road feel from aluminum vs carbon?
I'm only a recreational rider who 90% goes on cycling paths and the other 10% is probably biking on my way to the path. Will be using this bike 100% for fitness purposes. Yes I know the specialized is a bit overpriced for what it is, but not going to lie, I like the integrated cockpit look from the SL7. Currently riding a Giant hybrid Escape 2

Carbon

Aluminium

Despite being carbon, the two carbon seem to weigh very closely to the alum bikes I posted
Thanks!
Those aluminum bikes are aggressive race bikes. You'll see them at crits a lot.

Honestly, I'd just test ride and go with what feels best. You aren't going to notice the weight differences between those.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
steph3n wrote: What are you guys' thoughts on a higher end aluminum bike vs an entry carbon bike? It seems like weight is not much a difference so what exactly are the benefits? Is it just road feel from aluminum vs carbon?

Carbon

Aluminium

Thanks!
Carbon or aluminum makes no difference if you cannot tell why you are paying more for carbon. To me, even aluminum with carbon fork is an upgrade worth the cost over all aluminum bike.
Test drive and see for yourself. Weight make no difference here at all.
Feb 11, 2009
413 posts
148 upvotes
And what about durability? My chances of falling or getting hit by a car is relatively low considering my uses so is there any difference in life time for the frame or in both cases the frame will outlast me?

I know carbon can crack under impact of falling or overtorquing bolts so I guess that's always a slight fear that I'll have.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries

Carbon

Aluminium

Thanks!
Woah, those are some mighty competent bikes for leisure riding on paths (unless I have the wrong idea about what a bike path is). Not that there's anything wrong with that if you're fortunate enough to have the money to spend on a nice bike. Since it's unlikely you're going to even use a tenth of the capabilities of bikes of this caliber, if it were me, I'd go with something with an aluminum frame an order of magnitude cheaper with Tiagra groupset (maybe even Sora). Weight and material would largely be irrelevant unless you regularly ride more than 30km/h, have lots of 5 degree hills, do 50-100km rides, or have really bad quality bumpy paths. And you'd still have plenty of growth potential on a good entry level road bike (aluminum, Tiagra) should you decide to do more road riding. When I got back into riding a few years back, the first bike I bought was a Costco Northrock SR1 for a couple of hundred (alas, not a possible price anymore) and had loads of fun on the road.
Feb 11, 2009
413 posts
148 upvotes
DiceMan wrote: Woah, those are some mighty competent bikes for leisure riding on paths (unless I have the wrong idea about what a bike path is). Not that there's anything wrong with that if you're fortunate enough to have the money to spend on a nice bike. Since it's unlikely you're going to even use a tenth of the capabilities of bikes of this caliber, if it were me, I'd go with something with an aluminum frame an order of magnitude cheaper with Tiagra groupset (maybe even Sora). Weight and material would largely be irrelevant unless you regularly ride more than 30km/h, have lots of 5 degree hills, do 50-100km rides, or have really bad quality bumpy paths. And you'd still have plenty of growth potential on a good entry level road bike (aluminum, Tiagra) should you decide to do more road riding. When I got back into riding a few years back, the first bike I bought was a Costco Northrock SR1 for a couple of hundred (alas, not a possible price anymore) and had loads of fun on the road.
The plan is to be able to do 100km rides next year or so. Right now I'm very far off that objective so I'm simply using my current bike to rack up mileage and train. I currently keep 23 kph avg on my rides with the hybrid. Luckily where I live we have a lot of road cycling trails that we can take and ride safely away from the cars. When I say recreational I meant that I don't plan to race or compete, but am training seriously for fun and fitness though.

Cheers

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)