Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 2:07 pm
Nov 23, 2013
353 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
sixteen12 wrote: What issues were you having? I've never used a Snap but I had a Kickr v1 (2014) and now a v5(2020) and they're both rock solid. The v5 is a lot quieter and the erg mode is more 'realistic" I guess in that you hover around your goal power with a more gradual buildup and down, where the v1 locked on the exact power more of less and had an instant change to the goal power. So sprints on the v1 could be like hitting a brick wall.
I found during the initial speed up the system couldn't keep up and the power metrics were all over the map.

Also, from ride to ride there was consistency issues due to either tire pressure, temperature etc. and I needed to re-calibrate each ride.

I also switched to the Kickr but then sold that too as I gave up on indoor training. Now looking to get back into it but I don't know I need to pay double the price for a wheel-off trainer.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
2081 posts
1062 upvotes
Toronto
shlomom wrote: Anyone here use zwift with a KICKR snap and can speak to the reliability?

I had one back in 2017 and found it very unreliable in ERG mode.

I was thinking of getting one for this season but I’m not sure they’ve solved the problem.
spend a bit more and get the KICKR CORE instead of the Snap.
Direct drive are better and way more accurate than wheel on trainers. You also dont have to worry about tire pressure and stuff.
Nov 23, 2013
353 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
DimsumDeals wrote: spend a bit more and get the KICKR CORE instead of the Snap.
Direct drive are better and way more accurate than wheel on trainers. You also dont have to worry about tire pressure and stuff.
Issue is I also don't want to put another bike in my gym. I already have the Peloton taking up space and I tried sideloading TR and Zwift but I couldn't get it to work.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
shlomom wrote: Issue is I also don't want to put another bike in my gym. I already have the Peloton taking up space and I tried sideloading TR and Zwift but I couldn't get it to work.
I think you need power meter pedals to get Zwift on Peloton no?
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Nov 23, 2013
353 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
sixteen12 wrote: I think you need power meter pedals to get Zwift on Peloton no?
Yeah, I have them but I couldn't install the software for some reason. The computer said was installed but the app didn't show up on the Pton.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Two Zwifters (going to be) in one house riding together. How to set this up so its viewed on the same TV ???
- both smart trainer setups
- both individual accounts
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Two Zwifters (going to be) in one house riding together. How to set this up so its viewed on the same TV ???
- both smart trainer setups
- both individual accounts
I don't see how you could share a TV unless it has some kind of split screen, dual tuner/input thing (if that even exists).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Swerny wrote: I don't see how you could share a TV unless it has some kind of split screen, dual tuner/input thing (if that even exists).
No no. I mean to see each other riding on the screen. We both will have the companion app etc.
how do people do ride meets and see who is in the group? Would this not be the same thing?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: No no. I mean to see each other riding on the screen. We both will have the companion app etc.
how do people do ride meets and see who is in the group? Would this not be the same thing?
You can do a meetup, or you can ride together. Both are options.

https://www.zwift.com/news/5082-zwift-h ... _znl=en-ca
https://www.zwift.com/news/19189-zwift- ... th-friends
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: And so then, all thats needed, is one laptop connected to the TV right?
I don't really understand what you're trying to do. One person needs to be connected to the TV via Apple TV or Laptop or whatever you're using. The other person will need their own Zwift account and connection using a phone or iPad or something.

You can't have one Zwift instance running two accounts as far as i know.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
sixteen12 wrote: I don't really understand what you're trying to do. One person needs to be connected to the TV via Apple TV or Laptop or whatever you're using. The other person will need their own Zwift account and connection using a phone or iPad or something.

You can't have one Zwift instance running two accounts as far as i know.
Exactly this. Thanx. All is well and exactly as I planned this is going to work.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1959 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote: and how exactly is this cycling related?
I use this exact fan for my indoor training setup. Strongest blower by a long shot, and widely used for indoor training.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
wushudrew wrote: I use this exact fan for my indoor training setup. Strongest blower by a long shot, and widely used for indoor training.
my bad, i thought it was a leaf blower.....I can't open the link.

:facepalm: to me
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2009
1895 posts
540 upvotes
London
picked up a new bike the other week
5 grand, looks pretty new, was told a couple hundred km

Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1959 posts
286 upvotes
Toronto
Swerny wrote: my bad, i thought it was a leaf blower.....I can't open the link.

:facepalm: to me
I sweat so much indoors I might just try a leaf blower too!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
wushudrew wrote: I sweat so much indoors I might just try a leaf blower too!
Nothing really helps, nothing. IF you push yourself, you will sweat jsut as you would outdoors on a nice summer day. Even when I did this in our garage, in winter and at 5C, I was still quickly peeling layers off and finished in a pool of sweat. Its part of the indoor cycling game :)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
Where would be the best place to sell an 80s roadbike? It's a lovely bike in great condition, with a quality groupo.

I put it Kijiji this past summer but just got lowballers. I need to find someone that knows what they're looking at.

Are there any good GTA forums or facebook groups that I could use?

Also, I wouldn't mind a bit of help in setting a fair price, so would it be ok to post here? Would anyone be knowledgable about these things?

Thx

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)