• Mar 24th, 2017 11:19 am
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10196 posts
1307 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Lifesaver wrote:
Dec 31st, 2016 11:21 am
Im assuming you mean road bike shorts? You dont wear anything on top or under the bike shorts.
For example, if I am riding my bike to a restaurant to meet up with a group of people for dinner. I can't show up wearing bike shorts 'cuz that would just look terrible. Do I wear pants with an elasticized-waist or do I need to go up a size to accommodate the padded shorts?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9641 posts
1109 upvotes
Ottawa
Becks wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 4:01 pm
For example, if I am riding my bike to a restaurant to meet up with a group of people for dinner. I can't show up wearing bike shorts 'cuz that would just look terrible. Do I wear pants with an elasticized-waist or do I need to go up a size to accommodate the padded shorts?
regular bicycle shorts can be pretty bulky due to the padding so you definitely have to have baggy pants and maybe an extra size up.

I tried my work pants over my shorts before and it definitely looked and felt a bit snug. With my baggy casual pants that were already loose, it was do-able but with my work pants which were made to measure, there was no way.

I'd also suggest a liner that is designed to be worn underneath (e.g. https://ca-store.sugoi.com/products/19906u-rc-100-liner)
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1170 posts
108 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2017 4:01 pm
Meh. I went to a boat party wearing bike shorts. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Nov 6, 2007
522 posts
31 upvotes
I honestly do not see the appeal of these bikes at the respective prices. Power meters are coming down in prices, and most of us who are serious already have GPS / headhunts which integrates pretty well.

I mean at their prices (and $299 for shipping to Canada), there are a lot of proven options for Di2 or eTap especially at this time of the year. My opinion anyways.
Nov 6, 2007
522 posts
31 upvotes
bruizeman wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 9:30 pm
OK! So I got all my wiggle parts...

IMG_20170118_184429.jpg
Sexy. Clipless pedals next ?

Also what size is your bike ? Saddle height looks low ...
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1170 posts
108 upvotes
R8247 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 7:53 pm
Sexy. Clipless pedals next ?

Also what size is your bike ? Saddle height looks low ...
Already got the clipless! Those SPD but it came with a flat insert for the other side so I kept it on in case I use reg shoes.

It's a small already Expressionless Face
Aug 23, 2013
518 posts
152 upvotes
Noob questions incoming, but I hope you guys can help me out.

Where about can I go to buy good Road Racers?

I'm not looking for a high end one, but a avg price range for a first timer.

As well are there places that are bike designated places?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Mar 29, 2007
126 posts
9 upvotes
Id be happy to give some advice but its hard to do without knowing more about what kind of cycling you want to do. Are you more into fitness and doing casual fitness rides on bike paths/mixed use paths? Or are you thinking about suiting up in lycra and riding on the road? You said you want a road racing bike, but also biking in a designated place? IMO, those goals don't really go hand in hand. If you want to plan to use to bike paths/mixed use paths, its safer not to go to0 fast and you wont really need a road bike. A hybrid will do and you can still get fit this way. If you want to go fast its better to go on the road, preferably country roads.

Theres a lot of advantages to buy a bike from a bike shop rather than buying used esp if your a beginner. In general, you cant go wrong looking at the Giant website, picking out a suitable kind of bike, at a price point your comfortable with, and contacting member r1lee for a price cuz he can probably get you a great deal. Giant bikes imo are good bikes that come in at a lower price point.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1101 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto
Bleachway wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 9:56 am
Noob questions incoming, but I hope you guys can help me out.

Where about can I go to buy good Road Racers?

I'm not looking for a high end one, but a avg price range for a first timer.

As well are there places that are bike designated places?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Ask Stefano, he'll make you a bike that you'll beat anyone you race and make it look easy and effortless!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes- ... o-cycling/

The Tour de France is dead!
Jun 28, 2015
165 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I haven't posted in this thread in quite some time. I was under a different user name then :)

In any event, haven't cycled regularly in 2 years. Life got in the way. A wee bit of depression, moved, had a bebe.

Recently started going to the gym which kickstarted my love of cycling again. So I've been on the trainer here and there the last couple of weeks. Will kick it in to high gear March 1st. Focusing more on overall body strength / muscle right now.

I missed my baby .....
Mar 29, 2007
126 posts
9 upvotes
welcome back to the club. cycling is good for both physical and mental health. with a baby also, i get my riding in earlier in the morning, and i go for shorter higher effort rides instead of longer ones where i dont get home until after lunch.
LucifersGhost wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 3:35 pm
I haven't posted in this thread in quite some time. I was under a different user name then :)

In any event, haven't cycled regularly in 2 years. Life got in the way. A wee bit of depression, moved, had a bebe.

Recently started going to the gym which kickstarted my love of cycling again. So I've been on the trainer here and there the last couple of weeks. Will kick it in to high gear March 1st. Focusing more on overall body strength / muscle right now.

I missed my baby .....
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel