• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 9:57 am
Jan 29, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Need your advice with a new bike.
My friend recommended me to choose one of these models
https://www.bestadvisor.com/road-bikes
It is hard to decide between GMC Denali and Merax Finiss Aluminum.
It seems they have similar characteristics but GMS looks better as for me.
But Merax is much cheaper. What do you think?
Any advice would help :)
Jun 28, 2015
187 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TomKat2 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 8:58 pm
welcome back to the club. cycling is good for both physical and mental health. with a baby also, i get my riding in earlier in the morning, and i go for shorter higher effort rides instead of longer ones where i dont get home until after lunch.
Oh absolutely. Before life took over, cycling was definitely my passion. I rode every day to and from work. Every 2nd weekend, Id go out for a good 4 or 5 hour trek on one of the days. Im hoping to rekindle the love affair in the spring :)

BTW .. when I said I missed my baby .. I meant my bike lolol Ooopsie :P
Jun 28, 2015
187 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thicas15930 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 10:19 am
It all depends on what your goals and desires are.

At the end of the day, most of those bikes are pretty low quality and likely wont last terribly long.

What is your budget? Is it $300 tops? Or can you stretch a few hundred more?
Mar 7, 2008
17 posts
5 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Has anyone order from Chain Reaction from U.K.?

There price is amazing and they offer price in CAD.

I order about $160 worth of stuff and pick the non tracking option. Crossing my finger it doesn't get tax
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1174 posts
109 upvotes
THINKPOD wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 5:51 pm
Has anyone order from Chain Reaction from U.K.?

There price is amazing and they offer price in CAD.

I order about $160 worth of stuff and pick the non tracking option. Crossing my finger it doesn't get tax
I ordered from wiggle. Same thing. It works.
Mar 7, 2008
17 posts
5 upvotes
Saskatchewan
Wiggle also from U.K.? Did you get taxed by Canadian border?
May 24, 2006
88 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
caRpetbomBer wrote:
Aug 26th, 2015 9:33 am
Im rebuilding Hope hubs. Anyone seen this grease around. Having a hard time finding it. Mobilgrease XHP™ 222
Did you ever have any luck finding this in Toronto?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1691 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
bruizeman wrote:
Feb 9th, 2017 10:38 pm
I ordered from wiggle. Same thing. It works.
Other sites to consider are Ribble (UK), Bike-discount.de (GER), Bike-components.de (GER), and Bike24.com (GER). Ribble is typically cheaper than CRC or Wiggle, and the German sites are sometimes even cheaper still and have better selection. There is no free shipping from the German sites, so they become more cost effective for big orders. I've ordered from all of them with no problems.
Aug 8, 2010
640 posts
509 upvotes
GTA
You never got dinged with duties?
wushudrew wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 10:09 pm
Other sites to consider are Ribble (UK), Bike-discount.de (GER), Bike-components.de (GER), and Bike24.com (GER). Ribble is typically cheaper than CRC or Wiggle, and the German sites are sometimes even cheaper still and have better selection. There is no free shipping from the German sites, so they become more cost effective for big orders. I've ordered from all of them with no problems.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1691 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
vermit25 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 7:13 am
You never got dinged with duties?
I was never charged duties, but have been charged HST on several occasions. About 30% of my orders in the past few years have been taxed by the CBSA. With the amount you save compared to buying here, the occasional HST charge is really not worth worrying about.
Apr 1, 2013
406 posts
67 upvotes
BC
Thicas15930 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 10:19 am
Both are low end bikes. Most likely you would want something nicer after a nice months. You may want to keep a budget bike around for around town in case it got stolen. The trick is always lock up next to a nicer bike hope the nicer one will get stolen first.
Aug 12, 2003
317 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone recommend a good comfy handlebar? These aero and non-round bars look more comfy?
Mar 29, 2007
132 posts
9 upvotes
I found a big difference in comfort when I got my first set of carbon bars. I got the 3t aeronova which has an ovalized top. And at the time i found the shape to be comfortable as well, but over time I find I dont spend as much time holding onto the tops of the bars. Other things u can do to make ur bars more comfy is to get fizik gel inserts and a thicker bar tape.
GoogleFish wrote:
Feb 12th, 2017 3:47 pm
Can anyone recommend a good comfy handlebar? These aero and non-round bars look more comfy?
Aug 12, 2003
317 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
That 3t looks like the Easton EC90 aero I came across on the net. They look comfy from the top, but I was thinking the same, don't spend too much time on the top of the bars. Are they any better if you are on the hoods? Wouldn't mind trying either, but expensive at regular price to experiment.
Mar 29, 2007
132 posts
9 upvotes
Id say that on the tops, the shape of the bars themselves dont really matter. For comfort from vibrations and fatigue, I like carbon bars over alloy. The same can be done with gel inserts and thicker tape although this will change the thickness of the bar. If you ride the drops, you might also want to think about the bend of the bars. Also keep in mind that some aero bars are not meant to have the tops taped, the bar tape ends after the hoods.

GoogleFish wrote:
Feb 12th, 2017 9:31 pm
That 3t looks like the Easton EC90 aero I came across on the net. They look comfy from the top, but I was thinking the same, don't spend too much time on the top of the bars. Are they any better if you are on the hoods? Wouldn't mind trying either, but expensive at regular price to experiment.