RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 13th, 2017 9:44 am
Aug 8, 2010
621 posts
505 upvotes
GTA
What's the Spring Bike show like?
Is it worth going? Any good deals on bikes?
Jul 23, 2015
285 posts
109 upvotes
LuckyV wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 11:35 pm
Hello All, Hoping to get some advice/recommendation on purchasing a new bike.

I have about $200-$300 to spend on a new/used bike. I primarily use it to ride to work and back through the "wonderful Toronto streets" so would like something that will last and can handle the roads and potholes.

I wanted to see if there are any good options at Sportschek. I've racked up a lot of Scene points (30000 points = $300) which can go towards a purchase and so with the points and my savings, I can essentially spend up to $600 there. Potentially a little more if there's something really worth while.
Otherwise, I'd have to stick to a $300 cap at other stores.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
LuckyV
The thing about buying a bike a Sport Chek or Canadian Tire (or anywhere that isn't a Local Bike Shop (LBS)) is that it will not be assembled by a professional. IF you do buy from Canadian Tire or Sport Chek etc either go over the bike yourself checking all fasteners, headset, seat, chain, gears/shifters...or take it to a LBS for a tuneup before riding it much.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3475 posts
210 upvotes
vermit25 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 12:00 pm
More stores at the show. No deep discounts because it's the beginning of bike season. Stuff that is on sale are usually years past models but there will be more selection than the fall show. Lots of clothing and helmets and accessories on sale too.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
2027 posts
573 upvotes
London
Mr. Robo wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 5:18 pm
More stores at the show. No deep discounts because it's the beginning of bike season. Stuff that is on sale are usually years past models but there will be more selection than the fall show. Lots of clothing and helmets and accessories on sale too.
Anything good still around by Sunday?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3475 posts
210 upvotes
tickyboy wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 9:03 pm
Anything good still around by Sunday?
I've never been to the spring show on Sundays, not sure. I'm going to assume this that the bikes are not heavily discounted like at the fall show, most people that go, don't walk away with bikes from what I could tell going on Saturdays.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1691 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
superflyman12 wrote:
Feb 25th, 2017 11:13 am
what is the cheapest option off there site that will fit my current setup? So many models and none reference shimano... I am willing to change my crank if needed but wanted to know what will work with my setup with 68mm bottom bracket.
The FSA Gossamer is the cheapest option they have and will also fit your bike: http://www.power2max.com/northamerica/p ... nd-cranks/

You should be able to use your existing Shimano 68mm BB with that crankset, as the spindle dimensions are pretty much the same. You could also get a new BB (FSA Megaexo) that will replace your current Shimano BB.

Are you set on power2max? There are other good value options out there including Stages.
Nov 27, 2014
52 posts
18 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
I'm looking for an electric folding bike to commute to work sometimes and mainly as "last mile" biking when I get off the MiWay bus and don't want to double dip for TTC fare.

I need a folder because I rent a singe bedroom as a student and I don't have much space. I need electric because I have to tackle some hills on the way to work and the motor would help.

The problem I'm having is that it seems like I'm looking for a really niche category of bikes here in Toronto. For bike shops I only know of Solorock here in Toronto. http://solorock.ca/

Amazon isn't much better with their selection of folding e-bikes coming from third party sellers in China. I have no idea what kind of support I'm gonna get if something goes wrong.

Anyone know of any other places I can look for in Toronto or at least online shipped in Canada? I know the bike show is this Saturday but I'm not sure it's worth going when I'm looking for something even amazon won't stock.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1388 posts
128 upvotes
Markham
vermit25 wrote:
You looking for something specific? Most of the bikes are past years models, the ones that didn't sell at the fall show. The spring show is bigger and probably more to see but like mentioned earlier many people go for other stuff and not just bikes.

I think on Sunday their will be less to choose from but the deals might be better. Plus you may be able to negotiate a little more on Sunday.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1204 posts
398 upvotes
Toronto
vermit25 wrote:
You'll get a better deal if you visit your LBS now. It'll save them from dragging products to and from the show. I use to visit bike shops the week leading to the show and been given deep discounts on bikes and clothing from the previous year. Saves you from paying the entrance fee as well.
Dec 9, 2007
157 posts
15 upvotes
Can anyone recommend a decent but moderately priced bike that will work with my bike trainer? I don't want to alter my crappy 20 y/o bike with a solid axle to be able to use a skewer. I am looking for a hybrid bike, as I enjoy going through trails nearby my house during the warmer months.
Aug 8, 2010
621 posts
505 upvotes
GTA
So I'm getting close to buying my next road bike and have mostly decided on Giant's Defy 2017 model.

But I am unsure on whether to go for the:
Advanced 1 http://www.gianttoronto.com/en-ca/bikes ... 132/100726
or
Advanced Pro 1 http://www.gianttoronto.com/en-ca/bikes ... 33/100725/

Difference of $1000.

Is the Advanced Pro worth the additional $1000? should I save that 1k and spend it on something else or should I go for the Advanced Pro?
I like both the colours so not sure.
Mar 29, 2007
129 posts
9 upvotes
Id go with the advanced pro 1. It has a higher grade of carbon so it is probably lighter and stiffer. Plus if im not mistaken, it has carbon wheels. Componentry is about a wash. If you were to get the advanced 1 with the intention of using the money to upgrade the bike in other ways I dont think it would be enough to really transform the ride. 1000 bucks wont get you a carbon wheelset and I think a lot of people would say this is the best way to upgrade a bike. If you are shopping for a deal on a giant bike you should ask r1lee he can get you a quote. Many people including myself have used him to get a deal on a bike.
Aug 8, 2010
621 posts
505 upvotes
GTA
The carbon on the frame is the same for both but the fork is different.
I have not had a chance to test ride the TCR cause they didnt have it in my size, so may end up going back.

And yes r1lee is the one hooking me up :)
TomKat2 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 8:59 pm
Id go with the advanced pro 1. It has a higher grade of carbon so it is probably lighter and stiffer. Plus if im not mistaken, it has carbon wheels. Componentry is about a wash. If you were to get the advanced 1 with the intention of using the money to upgrade the bike in other ways I dont think it would be enough to really transform the ride. 1000 bucks wont get you a carbon wheelset and I think a lot of people would say this is the best way to upgrade a bike. If you are shopping for a deal on a giant bike you should ask r1lee he can get you a quote. Many people including myself have used him to get a deal on a bike.
Mar 29, 2007
129 posts
9 upvotes
oh my mistake. same carbon. well, i think for 1000 bucks its worth it for the wheelset. if it is indeed carbon vs alloy. tcr is a different beast altogether. stiff and super light. probably a lot less comfortable. twitchier handling. these are just my opinions/assumptions, i havent ridden either one.

vermit25 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 9:42 pm
The carbon on the frame is the same for both but the fork is different.
I have not had a chance to test ride the TCR cause they didnt have it in my size, so may end up going back.

And yes r1lee is the one hooking me up :)
Sep 23, 2005
100 posts
1 upvote
KanieWest wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 2:42 am
I'm looking for an electric folding bike to commute to work sometimes and mainly as "last mile" biking when I get off the MiWay bus and don't want to double dip for TTC fare.

I need a folder because I rent a singe bedroom as a student and I don't have much space. I need electric because I have to tackle some hills on the way to work and the motor would help.

The problem I'm having is that it seems like I'm looking for a really niche category of bikes here in Toronto. For bike shops I only know of Solorock here in Toronto. http://solorock.ca/

Amazon isn't much better with their selection of folding e-bikes coming from third party sellers in China. I have no idea what kind of support I'm gonna get if something goes wrong.

Anyone know of any other places I can look for in Toronto or at least online shipped in Canada? I know the bike show is this Saturday but I'm not sure it's worth going when I'm looking for something even amazon won't stock.
You can try Revelo