• Mar 24th, 2017 11:19 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9639 posts
1109 upvotes
Ottawa
KanieWest wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 2:42 am
I'm looking for an electric folding bike to commute to work sometimes and mainly as "last mile" biking when I get off the MiWay bus and don't want to double dip for TTC fare.
Are you sure you want electric? All of the brand name electric folding bikes will be well north of $2K
Jun 13, 2007
16 posts
wushudrew wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 10:29 pm
The FSA Gossamer is the cheapest option they have and will also fit your bike: http://www.power2max.com/northamerica/p ... nd-cranks/

You should be able to use your existing Shimano 68mm BB with that crankset, as the spindle dimensions are pretty much the same. You could also get a new BB (FSA Megaexo) that will replace your current Shimano BB.

Are you set on power2max? There are other good value options out there including Stages.

Thanks for the help! I did look at stages but was hoping to get dual sided power and I think for us canadians that power2max is the cheapest dual option that i find! I also see pedals called bepro that are pretty cheap as well. well...cheap is a relative word when it comes to power meters! 4iiii is the cheapest solution and there canadian company which i love but they only do dura ace in dual side...and it is always sold out.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
1762 posts
157 upvotes
Mississauga
FYI....... Treck store coming to Mississauga. Dundas just west of Erin Mills on the north side.
Oct 26, 2003
718 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:55 am
FYI....... Treck store coming to Mississauga. Dundas just west of Erin Mills on the north side.
I keep meaning to come in here and post this. It's at the NE corner of Glen Erin/Dundas. I saw the sign go up recently when driving by. Do you know when it might open?
Aug 8, 2010
607 posts
504 upvotes
GTA
jalaram wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:32 am
I keep meaning to come in here and post this. It's at the NE corner of Glen Erin/Dundas. I saw the sign go up recently when driving by. Do you know when it might open?
Supposedly mid march.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1690 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
superflyman12 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 9:28 am
Thanks for the help! I did look at stages but was hoping to get dual sided power and I think for us canadians that power2max is the cheapest dual option that i find! I also see pedals called bepro that are pretty cheap as well. well...cheap is a relative word when it comes to power meters! 4iiii is the cheapest solution and there canadian company which i love but they only do dura ace in dual side...and it is always sold out.
Cool. P2M just released their new NG line so you may be able to get a Type S for a further discount if you look around. I know that the Slowtwitch forums (and Paceline) usually have quite a few used PMs in their classified sections, so there's another resource you can check out.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
1066 posts
132 upvotes
For those who have been looking for ortlieb panniers, on sale for $99usd at Sierra Trading Post . The colour selections are not the common ones either, but some are still cool.

Yes deal only really good if you have an Amerifriend or us pickup address. Usd exchange rate kinda sucks right now too. May have to pay u.s. State tax as well.

Use ALAA7 free shipping code within the u.s.
Dec 25, 2011
262 posts
191 upvotes
Hamilton
I'm looking to retire my cyclo-cross bike and invest in a real road bike now that I've started to get into tri. What would be the best value in a road bike these days (I'm a broke student)? Specialized Allez?
Aug 5, 2010
259 posts
74 upvotes
In the market for a new MTB - looking for something simple, but fun.

So far, Rocky Mountain Growler is on my radar:

http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/growler/2 ... rowler-730

Any other suggestions? Criteria would be:
-front suspension
-shimano drivetrain
-$1000-$1500
-Higher volume tires (coming from a fat bike i have been using year round)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9639 posts
1109 upvotes
Ottawa
urawomanimamachine wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 10:20 am
I'm looking to retire my cyclo-cross bike and invest in a real road bike now that I've started to get into tri. What would be the best value in a road bike these days (I'm a broke student)? Specialized Allez?
Giant Contend for a road bike (contact r1lee), but if you're into tri, wouldn't you want to invest in a tri-bike?
Jan 7, 2017
3 posts
warpdrive wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 11:45 am
Giant Contend for a road bike (contact r1lee), but if you're into tri, wouldn't you want to invest in a tri-bike?
If I was a dentist, maybe I could justify a real tri bike, but I think it's overkill for an amateur like me! I'd much rather slap aero bars on a bike I'll enjoy all season long versus a specialized tri bike that I only enjoy for a couple days of racing. Besides, I was passing plenty of tri bikes last season, so I'd actually feel more humble and comfortable on a simple road bike! The Redshift system in particular looks like a fantastic value, so I'd probably end up making use of that.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
1204 posts
89 upvotes
Kitchener
stendzme wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 11:36 am

-front suspension
-shimano drivetrain
-$1000-$1500
If you can stretch your budget look at a Kona Honzo AL (29er), or if you can stretch it more, the Big Honzo (27.5+). SRAM though, not shimano.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
8800 posts
1396 upvotes
Toronto
stendzme wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 11:36 am

-front suspension
-shimano drivetrain
-$1000-$1500
have you thought about getting a second wheelset for you fat bike?

That's what i do for year round use.

Stock Farley 7 for winter use.

29+ carbon wheelset and Bluto fork for summer.
Aug 5, 2010
259 posts
74 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 7:11 am
have you thought about getting a second wheelset for you fat bike?

That's what i do for year round use.

Stock Farley 7 for winter use.

29+ carbon wheelset and Bluto fork for summer.
Thanks - no suspension on the fat bike, so i am finding it a bit punishing for summer use. Cost to add a set of wheels and susp. fork is similar to a new bike, and i am likely getting out of the winter riding game.

Tjayl - yes, looked at the Honzo's as an option, but SRAM drive train has me turned off. I'm stuck on shimano as my previous sram experiences have left me bitter!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
1204 posts
89 upvotes
Kitchener
stendzme wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 7:52 am
Thanks - no suspension on the fat bike, so i am finding it a bit punishing for summer use. Cost to add a set of wheels and susp. fork is similar to a new bike, and i am likely getting out of the winter riding game.

Tjayl - yes, looked at the Honzo's as an option, but SRAM drive train has me turned off. I'm stuck on shimano as my previous sram experiences have left me bitter!
I've only had shimano as well, until yesterday. I just brought home a Kona Wozo. Fingers crossed I don't have any trouble with SRAM. I thought about a plus bike since I already have a Pugsley, but in the end wanted something more fun but still wanted the fat tires. Pugsley will get sold, and depending on how much I like the Wozo, I might just add a 27.5+ wheelset and sell my Precept DL too.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel