Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2017 2:27 pm
Nov 10, 2005
146 posts
64 upvotes
Does anyone have an opinion on Norco's road bikes?

I have no specific model in mind, but I'm looking for a road bike and see plenty of Norcos around and was wondering how they would compare to a similarly priced Giant or Trek.

Any recommendations in the $900-$1,100 range?
Sep 20, 2003
287 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
doesn't matter u won't tell the difference between bikes, parts ect. get the one thats comfortable after test ride
berklon wrote:
May 8th, 2017 10:35 am

I have no specific model in mind, but I'm looking for a road bike and see plenty of Norcos around and was wondering how they would compare to a similarly priced Giant or Trek.

Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10412 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
berklon wrote:
should be pretty comparable. Norco has been around a long time and still HQ'ed in Canada, so it would be supporting a Canadian bike brand.

The Giant Contend is a good starting point for $1000 bikes.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Jul 20, 2016
423 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
berklon wrote:

I'm on a similar market. and well, not quite 1.1K, I'm really having heavy thoughts on this BMC: https://www.racersportif.com/collection ... 1086318918
This price on Sportif seems to be a steal, bike depot have them for like 1.8k?

seems to be a Full Tiagra (drivetrain, crankset, brakes) and Shimano Wheels (entry level, but shimano!)

they also have full 105 for 1.4K
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10412 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
neonic wrote:
May 8th, 2017 6:39 pm
I'm on a similar market. and well, not quite 1.1K, I'm really having heavy thoughts on this BMC: https://www.racersportif.com/collection ... 1086318918
This price on Sportif seems to be a steal, bike depot have them for like 1.8k?
seems to be a Full Tiagra (drivetrain, crankset, brakes) and Shimano Wheels (entry level, but shimano!)
they also have full 105 for 1.4K
that price seems abnormally good for a BMC. They are usually priced on the high side for comparable components, and $1800 would be more what I would expect as the regular price.

edit: it does seem out of whack, the 105 version should be normally $1600 USD
Jul 20, 2016
423 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
May 8th, 2017 7:12 pm
that price seems abnormally good for a BMC. They are usually priced on the high side for comparable components, and $1800 would be more what I would expect as the regular price.

edit: it does seem out of whack, the 105 version should be normally $1600 USD
Yeah I know! I've called them today and they confirmed it isn't any mistake on their website or anything.

I'm currently between:

Aluminium:

Garneau SL3 (Sora) for 850 (on My Little Bike Shop kijiji)
BMC ALR01 Tiagra 1199+tx
BMC ALR01 105 1399+tx

Carbon
Garneau Sonix Tiagra 1450 (MLBS as well)
*possible* Cervelo R3 Tiagra 1399+tx? (Wheels of Bloor) need to check if they have it - they're sold out on 105.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10412 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
neonic wrote:
May 8th, 2017 8:11 pm
BMC ALR01 Tiagra 1199+tx
BMC ALR01 105 1399+tx
looking at the specs, I find it annoying that the 105 model uses a non-105 series crank and brakes, whereas the Tiagra model is the full series. In the end it doesn't matter because it all works about the same, but still.

Personally I'd take the Tiagra model and be happy with it. If I were to spend $1399, I'd kick myself for not going carbon. A good carbon bike like the Cervelo is in a different league when it comes to ride quality. The BMC frames are pretty racy and stiff, I tried out their carbon model and it was fairly stiff/unforgiving and I can imagine their aluminum ones are even more so. (but then again, I ride a Trek frame with all its softening doodads). Just keep that in mind when comparing your options
Jul 20, 2016
423 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
May 8th, 2017 11:01 pm
looking at the specs, I find it annoying that the 105 model uses a non-105 series crank and brakes, whereas the Tiagra model is the full series. In the end it doesn't matter because it all works about the same, but still.

Personally I'd take the Tiagra model and be happy with it. If I were to spend $1399, I'd kick myself for not going carbon. A good carbon bike like the Cervelo is in a different league when it comes to ride quality. The BMC frames are pretty racy and stiff, I tried out their carbon model and it was fairly stiff/unforgiving and I can imagine their aluminum ones are even more so. (but then again, I ride a Trek frame with all its softening doodads). Just keep that in mind when comparing your options
They're non-series, but numbers are on 5xx - so probably 105ish performance.

And I do agree with you that that extra 200 would be better spent on a carbon frame rather than tiagra to 105 upgrade, but that only if I could find a similar bike on carbon. - and that'd be a nice deal (like the R3 105 or Tiagra if WOB still have them);
I'm wondering if the new Tiagra is the "sweet spot" on shimano nowadays...
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10412 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
neonic wrote:
May 9th, 2017 12:01 pm
They're non-series, but numbers are on 5xx - so probably 105ish performance.

And I do agree with you that that extra 200 would be better spent on a carbon frame rather than tiagra to 105 upgrade, but that only if I could find a similar bike on carbon. - and that'd be a nice deal (like the R3 105 or Tiagra if WOB still have them);
I'm wondering if the new Tiagra is the "sweet spot" on shimano nowadays...
The non-series don't share the same design as the regular series so they won't perform the same. The crankset doesn't even use hollowtech and the brakes don't have the same dual pivot SLR-EV design. A step down from the 105 IMO. Having said that, it should perform fine but if you're paying extra for a higher model, it shouldn't be a downgrade. I'd rather take a full Tiagra group over a 105 with nonseries parts.

The sweet spot in Shimano is always the cheapest group to inherit all the trickle down features. Except for being 10 speeds, Tiagra is an amazing buy.
Feb 25, 2003
151 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
vipjn wrote:
May 6th, 2017 12:00 pm
Thanks for the replies.
I think I am going to get a step through bike as I find the men's bike being hard to get on and off in jeans. I definitely don't want to wear athletic clothing for biking to work. That bumps my budget to $649 for the Alight 2 City.
Would other brands have more affordable choices?
I'm now looking at Norco, Trek, Devinci and Specialized.
The material seems to be mostly steel fork in this price range. I believe ergonomics takes priority over materials in my case? Still trying to find one under $500 without sacrificing too many features.

Again, advice appreciated. :)
Since you're in Vancouver, I would suggest heading to Bike Doctor on West Broadway (Across from MEC). They specialize in city/hybrid bikes. They have Norco, Raleigh, Devinci, etc.. And it looks like they have this Norco Step-thru bike that's within your budget.
https://www.thebikedr.com/collections/h ... -thru-bike
Mar 29, 2007
132 posts
9 upvotes
Wheels of Bloor Colnago CX zero disc 105 5800 for 1000 bucks. killer deal on name brand alloy bike.

neonic wrote:
May 8th, 2017 8:11 pm
Yeah I know! I've called them today and they confirmed it isn't any mistake on their website or anything.

I'm currently between:

Aluminium:

Garneau SL3 (Sora) for 850 (on My Little Bike Shop kijiji)
BMC ALR01 Tiagra 1199+tx
BMC ALR01 105 1399+tx

Carbon
Garneau Sonix Tiagra 1450 (MLBS as well)
*possible* Cervelo R3 Tiagra 1399+tx? (Wheels of Bloor) need to check if they have it - they're sold out on 105.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1753 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto
So never had incidents of it causing a Presta valve stem break off because of trying to remove the pump at a weird angle or too much force? The reviews (sorted by recent) seems to indicate it doesn't work well with Presta valves, PSI over 80, bending valves, etc. Is there like a method to removing it without causing it to bend/break the stem?

Though it looks like from the reviews that it's a good idea to switch it with the Filzer Clever head to make the Beto floor pump a better pump.

I should've bought the Beto pump for $25 when it was cheaper (I ended up buying another floor pump and it worked fine with my Schrader valves but terrible with my Presta valves) and now an extra $7 plus the amount I spent on my cruddier floor pump
Jul 20, 2016
423 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
TomKat2 wrote:
May 10th, 2017 10:39 pm
Wheels of Bloor Colnago CX zero disc 105 5800 for 1000 bucks. killer deal on name brand alloy bike.
wow! I didn't see it on website, would've take it if they have my size!

I actually bought that BMC ALR01 105. Racer Sportif had a 20% Coupon on the website, it ended up by 1120+tax (1265 all in). I was tending to get the Tiagra (and probably should have take that), but I was so pumped with that coupon, that bought it without thinking much.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10412 posts
1574 upvotes
Ottawa
you need to post a picture, otherwise it didn't happen!
Jul 20, 2016
423 posts
148 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
May 11th, 2017 7:40 am
you need to post a picture, otherwise it didn't happen!
Haha fair enough. I'm yet to pick it up, so probably by Saturday :)