RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2017 11:00 am
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10234 posts
1451 upvotes
Ottawa
I didn't see a coupon on that site, that's a sweet deal. If it was some other site that I never heard of, I would have been suspicious of the pricing....almost seems too good to be true!
Jul 20, 2016
392 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
May 11th, 2017 8:39 am
I didn't see a coupon on that site, that's a sweet deal. If it was some other site that I never heard of, I would have been suspicious of the pricing....almost seems too good to be true!
They had a Giro (d'Italia - I think) coupon, 20% off in 1 item (non-discounted items) I wasn't sure if it was supposed to work on bikes or not - but as those BMCs aren't in "discounted" price (like 1399 from 1999), it worked. Called them next day to arrange pick up and stuff; they confirmed everything yesterday.

--

on a side, I need to buy a helmet, those from MEC should do OK right? Just to not to die and not get any fine...
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10234 posts
1451 upvotes
Ottawa
Nice loophole!

For helmets, MEC ones are fine, but you might want to consider a MIPS helmet because that is the latest tech. I bought my wife a Bontrager MIPS helmet

I don't like the one size fits all helmets, you are better off getting a helmet that offers different sizes.
Dec 16, 2014
712 posts
364 upvotes
anyone recommend a place in mississauga for bike assembly? how much does it typically cost?
bought a bike online from wally (clearance)
Sep 2, 2005
66 posts
1 upvote
karakoram wrote:
May 11th, 2017 7:55 pm
anyone recommend a place in mississauga for bike assembly? how much does it typically cost?
Try Via Ciclante in Streetsville to see if they'd do it. JP is very knowledgeable and helpful.
(Address: 222 Queen St S, Mississauga)
Aug 8, 2010
627 posts
506 upvotes
GTA
vermit25 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 8:50 am
So now that I have my new Defy advanced and loving it, I am looking for a bike that I can ride around on with my wife and kid.
Criteria:
- Cannot afford anything over $200 atm
- Thinking of getting this for my two year old: WeeRide Kangaroo Child Carrier
- Would like to ride roads and trails.

Are Canadian tire/ walmart bikes a No-No?
Thanks
I know I said the above, but now I'm thinking I should pay more and get a bike I can trust and possibly do some mountain biking too.
Can I get a better price to something comparable to this Talon? :
http://www.gianttoronto.com/en-ca/bikes ... 86/100804/

Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
1948 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
karakoram wrote:
May 11th, 2017 7:55 pm
Guys at Cyclopath on Burnhamthorpe will do it for sure.
Jul 20, 2016
392 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
vermit25 wrote:
May 12th, 2017 9:04 am
I know I said the above, but now I'm thinking I should pay more and get a bike I can trust and possibly do some mountain biking too.
Can I get a better price to something comparable to this Talon? :
http://www.gianttoronto.com/en-ca/bikes ... 86/100804/

Thanks
Im not familiar with current MTB market, but looks good.

Hydraulic disc brake is a huge thumbs up! I'm not sure how Tektro is doing, but shouldn't be bad. (don't get mechanical on these, if you decide look for another bike)
Fork/Suspension is an entry level without a lockout, but I think you won't get those until up 1K... and should be OK anyways. I never had one with lockout haha.
Groupset seems OK. Altus/Acera aren't really under MTB hierarchy, but they do fine - well you could include them, but they're far on entry side. They should be Altus, Acera, Alivio, Deore, SLX, Deore XT, Deore XT Di2, Deore XTR, Deore, XTR Di2, Zee and Saint (those 2 are for DH iirc) - most reviews starts on Deore... but for casual use, Acera is great. I had 2 bikes with Acera, and they do really fine.

Frame and other parts should be fine, as far as that "Giant" stamp goes.

One thing that I don't know much is how 27.5" are doing now a days. Back when I used to cycle on my MTB (2012-14), was a bit annoying find stuff on 27.5 it was 26 or 29... should be better now...
May 11, 2017
1 posts
neonic wrote:
May 11th, 2017 9:05 am
They had a Giro (d'Italia - I think) coupon, 20% off in 1 item (non-discounted items)
Is that coupon gone now?
Jul 20, 2016
392 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
nihilante wrote:
May 12th, 2017 10:08 am
Is that coupon gone now?
yeah mate, it was valid till the 8th.
May 3, 2016
215 posts
16 upvotes
I'm interested in by the MEC origami folding bike ($525). Anyone knows if MEC has annual sale or event that will give a discount on their bikes? Or, know any folding bike comparable that is cheaper?
Jul 20, 2016
392 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
May 11th, 2017 7:40 am
you need to post a picture, otherwise it didn't happen!

Picked up today! it's beautiful.

Didn't take pictures on the way, but took some here at home:

http://imgur.com/a/72HFY

I've swapped saddle and seat post with my fixie's (as I took its pedals, won't ride anyways...) - it's a Specialized Carbon Fact seatpost and Planet X Superlight Team Saddle (Titanium rails)
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10234 posts
1451 upvotes
Ottawa
wyho007 wrote:
May 12th, 2017 9:47 pm
I'm interested in by the MEC origami folding bike ($525). Anyone knows if MEC has annual sale or event that will give a discount on their bikes? Or, know any folding bike comparable that is cheaper?
MEC only has discounts end of year on some of their bikes, the only other way is to be in a bicycle or sports club that offers discounts on MEC stuff

example: http://accvancouver.ca/mec-discount-night-may-12th/
Mar 29, 2007
129 posts
9 upvotes
nice bike. the color looks sharp!
neonic wrote:
May 13th, 2017 1:03 pm
Picked up today! it's beautiful.

Didn't take pictures on the way, but took some here at home:

http://imgur.com/a/72HFY

I've swapped saddle and seat post with my fixie's (as I took its pedals, won't ride anyways...) - it's a Specialized Carbon Fact seatpost and Planet X Superlight Team Saddle (Titanium rails)