• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 6:56 pm
Jun 19, 2008
426 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
differing wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:39 pm
Looking to get a repair stand... should I just bite the bullet and get a Park Tool PCS-9 from MEC? Sounds like the best value with the free shipping at $199; any other suggestions?
I have the Pro Bike Stand from bestchoiceproducts on Ebay, have had it for a couple years now. Good sturdy stand. All in is around $99cad.
Here it is in action (not my pics)
https://imgur.com/a/yJzoH
May 18, 2017
1 posts
I want to get a new bike. I bought a decent bike about 8 or 9 years ago and it got stolen from in front of my place, even though it was locked. And this was on a Sunday morning. Heathens!
Anyway, I got most of my money back and decided to just get an inexpensive Raleigh bike. I'm just using it for exercise on the streets or some cycle paths.
I want to get a bike with larger tires and am looking at bikes that have large discounts, figuring that is the way to get value for the money.
If a store says it is selling a bike for $600 and then puts it on sale for $300, is it reasonable to think it must be of decent quality, and by that I don't mean high end but just can get me to and from my destinations and is not a piece of junk.
They sell other bikes for $200 and $300 so one they sell for $600 must have a little better derailleurs and brakes, etc., right? Especially if they are from the same basic bike company.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3539 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Can anybody recommend some indoor condo wall mounts for me?
I'm not good with drilling so I looked into the gravity stands or the tension sticks with the hooks, but they seem to be in the way.
The only ideal solution is if I somehow get a wallmount and drill holes in my concrete wall though.
(I'm not comfortable doing that at all)
Is there anybody offering a clean installation solution near downtown Toronto?

I'm not expecting much, but figured i'd throw it out there just in case somebody knows a good solution.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10596 posts
1681 upvotes
Ottawa
TimmyB150 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:58 am
If a store says it is selling a bike for $600 and then puts it on sale for $300, is it reasonable to think it must be of decent quality, and by that I don't mean high end but just can get me to and from my destinations and is not a piece of junk.
They sell other bikes for $200 and $300 so one they sell for $600 must have a little better derailleurs and brakes, etc., right? Especially if they are from the same basic bike company.
generally yes, but beware inflated claims.

Some of the bikes that are at Canadian Tire that have a "regular" price of $500 are still basically bottom end. There's a reason they can go on sale for half off, just like the way their tools always go for 50-70% off, it's because they weren't worth that much to begin with, You think you're getting a "deal"

Now it's possible that a decent bike is half off, because it's an old model and they want to clear stock. Once I was behind a salesguy at a bike store search for a particular bike on his computer and I saw the wholesale cost of some of the bikes, and there was no way the store could sell the bike normally at 50% and not lose money.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Jan 7, 2017
134 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton
TimmyB150 wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:58 am
I want to get a new bike. I bought a decent bike about 8 or 9 years ago and it got stolen from in front of my place, even though it was locked. And this was on a Sunday morning. Heathens!
Anyway, I got most of my money back and decided to just get an inexpensive Raleigh bike. I'm just using it for exercise on the streets or some cycle paths.
I want to get a bike with larger tires and am looking at bikes that have large discounts, figuring that is the way to get value for the money.
What kind of store is this? Keep in mind that if you're purchasing from a bike shop or a place like MEC, not only are you paying for quality parts, you'll also typically get some basic maintenance for a year, which is when a lot of components need little tweaks as things stretch out. $200 to $300 is pretty typical department store prices, so while you may get decent components on one of their bikes, I'd strongly suggest giving a local bike shop a chance first!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1578 posts
95 upvotes
differing wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:39 pm
Looking to get a repair stand... should I just bite the bullet and get a Park Tool PCS-9 from MEC? Sounds like the best value with the free shipping at $199; any other suggestions?
What are the extra features you get on a bike stand that costs that much?
Jan 7, 2017
134 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton
cyder wrote:
May 21st, 2017 12:33 am
What are the extra features you get on a bike stand that costs that much?
That's simply the cost of a decent repair stand. I guess the major difference I've noticed is that cheaper stands have plastic load-bearing parts that break easily. A good repair stand will last for years and years.
Oct 5, 2006
92 posts
7 upvotes
Anyone know if r1lee is still active here, i pmd him a couple days back about a couple of bikes but havent heard anything back yet. maybe its due to the long weekend.
Jul 20, 2016
465 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
SuckaB wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:38 pm
I'm not good with drilling so I looked into the gravity stands or the tension sticks with the hooks, but they seem to be in the way.
The only ideal solution is if I somehow get a wallmount and drill holes in my concrete wall though.

I'm not expecting much, but figured i'd throw it out there just in case somebody knows a good solution.
I've made this myself last year form some spare woods from Leroy Merlin (like Home Depot I guess):
I had to drill, but it was brick wall (way easier than concrete) - but if you have the right tool, shouldn't be hard tho.

I didn't want to drill as well (I'm not really confident with those dry wall constructions and stuff) and needed a 2 bike mount;

Got this one https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5012-400/ ... ike-Hanger
It looks nice and didn't get much on the way as you'd imagine:

I mean, obviously I can't put a sofa below my bike like before, but still easy to walk around, easy to clean below and stuff...

other thing you could try hire some "handyman" from kijiji? should be a piece of cake to do that
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Jan 7, 2017
134 posts
98 upvotes
Hamilton
neonic wrote:
May 22nd, 2017 10:18 pm
I've made this myself last year form some spare woods from Leroy Merlin (like Home Depot I guess):
I had to drill, but it was brick wall (way easier than concrete) - but if you have the right tool, shouldn't be hard tho.

I didn't want to drill as well (I'm not really confident with those dry wall constructions and stuff) and needed a 2 bike mount;

Got this one https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5012-400/ ... ike-Hanger
It looks nice and didn't get much on the way as you'd imagine:

I mean, obviously I can't put a sofa below my bike like before, but still easy to walk around, easy to clean below and stuff...

other thing you could try hire some "handyman" from kijiji? should be a piece of cake to do that
The good news is that if you give up cycling, it could probably work well for pole dancing workouts Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

Debating if I should bother upgrading my old 2012 Giant TCX 2 with a modern Tiagra groupset to transition it over to a roadie for the summer (current a mix of Tiagra and Sora) or if I should sell it and get a new bike. I bet I could get about $400 for the bike... which is about what I'd spend on a groupset. The plus side is that if I do invest in this stuff now, I could use the bike as a commuter if I get a new roadie next year when my finances are better.

Alternatively, I could swap the parts onto a new frameset next year if I buy a groupset. Is acquiring a frameset for a reasonable price that fits me a realistic option? Most frames seem to be crazy expensive.
Sep 20, 2003
287 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
Will make no difference either way unless you wanna save a few seconds on your ride
Apr 10, 2017
377 posts
99 upvotes
Since I think some of you guys frequent bike shops more than I do, what's the best wheelset out there for <$2k (here in Toronto, locally)?

Specs: 35 - 45mm depth, newer wider rim profile

Otherwise, I got my eyes on some Zipp 303s from the eBay
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2004
1763 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
SuckaB wrote:
May 19th, 2017 3:38 pm

I have heard good things about this one https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5003-950/ ... orage-Rack

I myself am looking for a no-drilling solution to keep my bike out of the way and was thinking of that one, I just have stuff along most walls :s
Nov 23, 2004
524 posts
26 upvotes
Does anyone know of a good/cheap place to get di2 software updates? MEC charges a whopping $70, which at that price point, I might as well just buy the adapter myself...
May 18, 2017
1 posts
What I am asking is is a Schwinn bike that normally goes for $550 Canadian a good deal at $350 and are the components likely to be decent at that price point?