Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 10:16 pm
Sep 10, 2006
176 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi - looking to pick up a new bike; Considering the Trek Crossrip 2. Any thoughts? I'll be riding 70% road and 30% on gravel trails

thanks
Dec 2, 2007
815 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Why don't people get excited discussing about mountain biking same way as hockey, football?

Is biking a niche sport?
Dec 2, 2007
815 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
spider78 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2017 1:04 am
Hi - looking to pick up a new bike; Considering the Trek Crossrip 2. Any thoughts? I'll be riding 70% road and 30% on gravel trails

thanks
It is a good bike for that purpose. Have read reviews online yet? Have you demo one at trek Store in Toronto?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3511 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
picard12 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 6:26 pm
Why don't people get excited discussing about mountain biking same way as hockey, football?

Is biking a niche sport?
It's not a sport or activity that many people do. Even this thread is a bit dead at times for just any cycling topic.
Sep 10, 2006
176 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
picard12 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 6:28 pm
It is a good bike for that purpose. Have read reviews online yet? Have you demo one at trek Store in Toronto?
Haven't ridden one yet - planning to give it a shot (and the Crossrip 3) this weekend. (I'm in vancouver, dont know of any trek stores, but will try one of the local shops) Do you know if its worth springing for the Crossrip 3 or of any other brands for the same purpose?
Jan 7, 2017
119 posts
86 upvotes
Hamilton
picard12 wrote: Why don't people get excited discussing about mountain biking same way as hockey, football?

Is biking a niche sport?
I think mountain biking is very much a weekend warrior sport for most urban dwellers, whereas other sports (including road cycling) could be done any given afternoon.

I've always been confused by friends that blow thousands of dollars on bikes that they'll only take out for a couple weekends a year... especially downhill bikes; now that's a money pit.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2072 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
differing wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 1:52 am
I think mountain biking is very much a weekend warrior sport for most urban dwellers, whereas other sports (including road cycling) could be done any given afternoon.

I've always been confused by friends that blow thousands of dollars on bikes that they'll only take out for a couple weekends a year... especially downhill bikes; now that's a money pit.
I guess you never had a hobby?
Jan 7, 2017
119 posts
86 upvotes
Hamilton
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 10:56 am
I guess you never had a hobby?
I have plenty of hobbies, but they are things I do regularly - not something I do one weekend a year at Collingwood and spend the other 363 days talking about. If I'm going to drop 2k on a road bike, it's because I use it every week. Dropping 5k on a downhill bike that sits in the garage all year seems ridiculous to me. I just found that the mountain biker crowd I've met in the city tend to fit in that mould, whereas other people with hobbies actually do that hobby regularly. Yes, there's obviously people that are exceptions to this. I find the VALUE confusing (we're on redflagDEALS, not pinkbike.com), not the interest in the sport. You see exactly the same thing with middle-aged triathlete men - great deals to be had on Kijiji for that TT bike they've used once when their wife finally convinces them to get rid of it!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10493 posts
1614 upvotes
Ottawa
differing wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 2:09 pm
I have plenty of hobbies, but they are things I do regularly - not something I do one weekend a year at Collingwood and spend the other 363 days talking about. If I'm going to drop 2k on a road bike, it's because I use it every week. Dropping 5k on a downhill bike that sits in the garage all year seems ridiculous to me.
as long as they aren't spending MY money, I could care less about how other people are spending money on weekend toys. If anything, I don't mind at all because, as you said, there are more deals on kijiji because of it
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Jul 20, 2016
443 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
picard12 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 6:26 pm

Is biking a niche sport?
hmm not sure about MTB, but I have some friends that follows and discuss lots of UCI WT... guess lacks some media broadcasting?

differing wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 2:09 pm
I have plenty of hobbies, but they are things I do regularly - not something I do one weekend a year at Collingwood and spend the other 363 days talking about. If I'm going to drop 2k on a road bike, it's because I use it every week. Dropping 5k on a downhill bike that sits in the garage all year seems ridiculous to me. I just found that the mountain biker crowd I've met in the city tend to fit in that mould, whereas other people with hobbies actually do that hobby regularly. Yes, there's obviously people that are exceptions to this. I find the VALUE confusing (we're on redflagDEALS, not pinkbike.com), not the interest in the sport. You see exactly the same thing with middle-aged triathlete men - great deals to be had on Kijiji for that TT bike they've used once when their wife finally convinces them to get rid of it!
well there are a few factors that we don't know. maybe a few thousands won't make much damage to the individual that bought it, maybe that couple of weekends will make it worth it. It's hard to say "VALUE", it's on individual level.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10493 posts
1614 upvotes
Ottawa
neonic wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 3:21 pm
It's hard to say "VALUE", it's on individual level.
I certainly could think of worse things to waste money on like expensive wines, a nicer bike probably gets people interested in going outside and exercising more. I know it did for me.

I haven't gotten much value of my bikes recently, but I still don't regret spending the money on them. For a long time, they occupied a lot of my mindset as a hobby (doing research, trying new bikes/equipment), and it was certainly cheaper than spending $ on a fancy car or some other fancy disposable tech item.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10493 posts
1614 upvotes
Ottawa
spider78 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 12:07 am
Haven't ridden one yet - planning to give it a shot (and the Crossrip 3) this weekend. (I'm in vancouver, dont know of any trek stores, but will try one of the local shops) Do you know if its worth springing for the Crossrip 3 or of any other brands for the same purpose?
there are tons of other brands that cater to the same niche.....road bikes with relaxed geometry capable of dirt trails (i.e adventure road bikes). e.g Specialized Diverge, GT Grade, Norco Search,

The crossrip is definitely nice. The 2 uses a TRD HY-RD brakes which are effective but not as precise as full hydraulics on the 3, If you are going to riding in a lot of wet weather, the upgrade to full hydraulics might be worth it. Otherwise, they are very similar (105 and Tiagra function about the same). I like that the Crossrip has a conventional looking frame with straight tubes, it looks more like a regular road bike.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9164 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
I got a new road bike., I sold my 2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3 and bought a 2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc.

The TCR was awesome but way too much of a race bike for my needs.

Full Ultegra, hydraulic disc brakes, thru axles front and rear.
IMG_1525.JPG
IMG_1524.JPG
IMG_1523.JPG
IMG_1521.JPG
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1578 posts
95 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Jun 9th, 2017 8:55 am
I got a new road bike., I sold my 2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3 and bought a 2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc.

The TCR was awesome but way too much of a race bike for my needs.

Full Ultegra, hydraulic disc brakes, thru axles front and rear.

IMG_1525.JPGIMG_1524.JPGIMG_1523.JPGIMG_1521.JPG
how is this different?