Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2017 10:25 am
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1596 posts
150 upvotes

Trek ALR 4, just purchased, took it out for 55k this morning. Legs were pretty heavy from a trail race yesterday, but happy with the performance.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10490 posts
1612 upvotes
Ottawa
pcboy, on my bike, I can just about have no rubbing when cross chaining with small-small rings with all Shimano parts (crank/chain/derailleur). But when I’m pushing hard on the pedals, the chain does still rub slightly against the derailleur due to the flexing. But basically what other people say is correct, cross chaining should be avoided and the chain rubbing against the derailleur or other chainring is normal.

With the Costco bike which has non-Shimano crank and chain, I would expect more noise when cross chaining just because it may not be as well matched
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Feb 14, 2004
912 posts
55 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Thank you very much for your reply.

Do you recommend me to upgrad th tiagra 4700 crankset? It's $100 fro, chain reaction, will I be able to feel the improvement?
Feb 14, 2004
912 posts
55 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Thank you very much, this is very useful
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10490 posts
1612 upvotes
Ottawa
pcboy wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 7:41 pm
Thank you very much for your reply.

Do you recommend me to upgrad th tiagra 4700 crankset? It's $100 fro, chain reaction, will I be able to feel the improvement?
The Shimano cranksets are usually stiffer than the older chainring design like the one that came with the Costco bike, and if you really have strong legs, you'll probably feel that the Shimano one does feel stiffer. As far as shifting, I never tried the Costco bike so I have no idea what the shifting is like with that crankset/chainrings, but the regular Shimano components shift very well, so potentially it could be better. But it's not something I would change the crankset over unless the stock chainrings are really bad.

But spending $100 on a crankset on a $400 bike isn't very cost effective, you are not going to get faster with that kind of upgrade. If you're itching to upgrade something, the tires and then the wheels might be a better place to start. Better brake pads would also help with stopping the bike better.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10490 posts
1612 upvotes
Ottawa
sixteen12 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 5:43 pm

Trek ALR 4, just purchased, took it out for 55k this morning. Legs were pretty heavy from a trail race yesterday, but happy with the performance.
looks good. Like that it's not flashy looking. If you start using it for tri, you'll probably need to flip and/or lower the front stem if you put on tri bars.

I would have asked them to remove that chain guard from the back wheel :) Also the safety stickers can be a pain to remove cleanly if you leave them on too long.
Sep 20, 2003
287 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
Got into my first bike crash today. Was going downhill on a one way bridge path and a guy with head down veered into me. I went over the bars and the bike did a couple of somersaults. my summer is over with a concussion and sore back ect. guy said he was going to pay to fix the bike. but now I get a text saying I was going too fast and that I crashed into him and his hand hurts. strava says i was in the slowest 1/4 of people who rode the segment for the day. Since it was a bike on bike am I pretty much screwed over for repairs now? Man, I have such a bitter taste from that guys text right now that my back is so sore I can't even bend over without tearing up from pain.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1596 posts
150 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 8:53 pm
looks good. Like that it's not flashy looking. If you start using it for tri, you'll probably need to flip and/or lower the front stem if you put on tri bars.

I would have asked them to remove that chain guard from the back wheel :) Also the safety stickers can be a pain to remove cleanly if you leave them on too long.
Yup, I'll get it on the stand this week and take the stickers and the chain guard.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10490 posts
1612 upvotes
Ottawa
mc hammer wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:27 am
Got into my first bike crash today. Was going downhill on a one way bridge path and a guy with head down veered into me. I went over the bars and the bike did a couple of somersaults. my summer is over with a concussion and sore back ect. guy said he was going to pay to fix the bike. but now I get a text saying I was going too fast and that I crashed into him and his hand hurts. strava says i was in the slowest 1/4 of people who rode the segment for the day. Since it was a bike on bike am I pretty much screwed over for repairs now? Man, I have such a bitter taste from that guys text right now that my back is so sore I can't even bend over without tearing up from pain.
Sorry to hear about that, hope you recover fully.

In light of that text, probably time to lawyer up to cover your bases?
Mar 29, 2007
132 posts
9 upvotes
mc hammer wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:27 am
Dang that sucks. So you guys were going the same direction? And he veered into you when you were passing him? Did he also crash?
Sep 20, 2003
287 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
TomKat2 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 9:17 pm
Dang that sucks. So you guys were going the same direction? And he veered into you when you were passing him? Did he also crash?
He was going the opposite direction and veered at me hitting the side of my front wheel. It probably got pinned between his wheel and the outer fence which made me and the bike fly in the air.
Sep 20, 2003
287 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
warpdrive wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 2:25 pm
Sorry to hear about that, hope you recover fully.

In light of that text, probably time to lawyer up to cover your bases?
It never crossed my mind. Small claims court? Looked at the txts again and not sure if it would hold up on court. Basically I ask where the shop he suggested was so I could forward the mechanics assessment to him. He gives his email, and wishes me well. What do you guys think?

I talked to the guy one last time. he said the shop told him I was trying to upgrade my bike thru the repairs. It was a crazy exchange where he kept responding with 'you know what you did' and you hit me with the bike. The damage was just handlebars, aero bars, wheel true and helmet. Head is still spinning from the phone call.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10490 posts
1612 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm no legal expert so I would ask a lawyer what options there are. I don't expect there is any way to get your money back but I'd be more worried about protecting myself against a lawsuit. good luck.
Sep 20, 2003
287 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
Thanks for the advice guys it helps a lot. Woke up to new texts today of him trying to get me to take some responsibility. Hopefully gps/cell tower data will be enough to protect from losing a lawsuit.

btw does anyone know ballpark how much I would be spending for lawyer advice? Not looking to sue, just to protect myself.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

hooshang