RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2017 10:54 pm
Mar 29, 2007
132 posts
9 upvotes
mc hammer wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:56 pm
Thanks for the advice guys it helps a lot. Woke up to new texts today of him trying to get me to take some responsibility. Hopefully gps/cell tower data will be enough to protect from losing a lawsuit.

btw does anyone know ballpark how much I would be spending for lawyer advice? Not looking to sue, just to protect myself.
Im confused. You said the bridge is one way. Like your only supposed to go in one direction? In this case, who was going to wrong way? Or do you mean one lane where it would be tight for 2 bikes to squeeze by each other?

I think most of these cases normally end up in a he said she said outcome. You cant prove he swerved into you. But he cant prove you were going too fast or swerved into him. Sucks to be out of pocket when you get crashed out by someone else. But part of the sport.
Jan 7, 2017
118 posts
86 upvotes
Hamilton
TomKat2 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 4:55 pm
Im confused. You said the bridge is one way. Like your only supposed to go in one direction? In this case, who was going to wrong way? Or do you mean one lane where it would be tight for 2 bikes to squeeze by each other?

I think most of these cases normally end up in a he said she said outcome. You cant prove he swerved into you. But he cant prove you were going too fast or swerved into him. Sucks to be out of pocket when you get crashed out by someone else. But part of the sport.
I think he was passing the guy and the head down fellow swerved to the side.

If that's the situation... I would write out an accurate depiction of the events with a witness, block this loser from your phone, and move on with your life. You won't get anything out of him for your benefit and there's a good chance the idiot has half a case against you; break off contact.
Sep 20, 2003
287 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
it's a regular bridge and 2 bike paths are separated by car traffic in the middle. one path you're only supposed to travel north, the other only south. Guy used the north heading path to go south (against the flow of traffic). We basically had a head on collision.
differing wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 6:49 pm
I think he was passing the guy and the head down fellow swerved to the side.

If that's the situation... I would write out an accurate depiction of the events with a witness, block this loser from your phone, and move on with your life. You won't get anything out of him for your benefit and there's a good chance the idiot has half a case against you; break off contact.
I don't have a witness other than strava tracks, but I'll write everything down. You're right about breaking contact. Would like nothing better than to get him out of my head. Thanks for the perspective.
Jan 7, 2017
118 posts
86 upvotes
Hamilton
mc hammer wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 7:41 pm
it's a regular bridge and 2 bike paths are separated by car traffic in the middle. one path you're only supposed to travel north, the other only south. Guy used the north heading path to go south (against the flow of traffic). We basically had a head on collision.
Oh snap I didn't realize he was totally breaking the law! If you're feeling litigious you could file a police report (might not be a bad idea even if you stop talking to this jerk).
Sep 20, 2003
287 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
yea had an angry phase looking for his strava for proof, no luck though. But it's amazing how much personal info some people put out there. maybe i'll send him special xmas cards for home and work this year lol.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2072 posts
205 upvotes
Mississauga
mc hammer wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 7:41 pm

I don't have a witness other than strava tracks, but I'll write everything down. You're right about breaking contact. Would like nothing better than to get him out of my head. Thanks for the perspective.
This is why you call the cops and an ambulance. Everything gets documented and you get proper treatment on the spot. Good luck fighting this now. It will all be he said / she said.
Jul 8, 2014
29 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi all,

I'm new to road bikes and after some research, it seems like the Giant Contend 1 is a good beginner bike for me.

Just wondering if anyone have any retailer recommendation or know when/where they are on sale. SportingLife currently have them at $900 ($150) off.

Thanks
Sep 20, 2003
287 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:10 am
This is why you call the cops and an ambulance. Everything gets documented and you get proper treatment on the spot. Good luck fighting this now. It will all be he said / she said.
Thanks, I'm writing that down so I never forget for the future. Did the stupid thing by trying to walk it off, which didn't work anyways.
Sep 20, 2003
287 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
SiuMai wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:50 am
Hi all,

I'm new to road bikes and after some research, it seems like the Giant Contend 1 is a good beginner bike for me.

Just wondering if anyone have any retailer recommendation or know when/where they are on sale. SportingLife currently have them at $900 ($150) off.

Thanks
I don't live in your area but generally speaking, bikes are going to start getting marked down in a week or 2 if $ is a priority. But you do run the risk that they won't have the size you want.
Mar 29, 2007
132 posts
9 upvotes
SiuMai wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:50 am
Hi all,

Thanks
PM r1lee on this message board. he hasnt been actively posting but i know he checks his messages. in my experience he will be able to connect u with a dealer and get u better than bike show prices. with full warranty etc
Jul 8, 2014
29 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TomKat2 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 8:02 am
PM r1lee on this message board. he hasnt been actively posting but i know he checks his messages. in my experience he will be able to connect u with a dealer and get u better than bike show prices. with full warranty etc
Thanks,

He hasn't logged in since March 2017 per his profile, but I've sent him a message anyway.
Nov 29, 2005
465 posts
1 upvote
Anyone use a particular site for used MTB or cycling equipment? High end stuff?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1949 posts
53 upvotes
mc hammer wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 1:27 am
Got into my first bike crash today. Was going downhill on a one way bridge path and a guy with head down veered into me. I went over the bars and the bike did a couple of somersaults. my summer is over with a concussion and sore back ect. guy said he was going to pay to fix the bike. but now I get a text saying I was going too fast and that I crashed into him and his hand hurts. strava says i was in the slowest 1/4 of people who rode the segment for the day. Since it was a bike on bike am I pretty much screwed over for repairs now? Man, I have such a bitter taste from that guys text right now that my back is so sore I can't even bend over without tearing up from pain.
That sucks :( I hope you have a speedy recovery... I have these links bookmarked. Maybe they'll help?

https://www.bikelaw.com/2015/08/ontario-bike-law-faqs/
https://www.cycleto.ca/free-legal-advice
Sep 20, 2003
287 posts
42 upvotes
Burnaby
bunnyfoo wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 12:07 pm
That sucks :( I hope you have a speedy recovery... I have these links bookmarked. Maybe they'll help?

https://www.bikelaw.com/2015/08/ontario-bike-law-faqs/
https://www.cycleto.ca/free-legal-advice
Thanks! I read and bookmarked the info. Hopefully won't have to use it in the future.

BTW. If anyone needs a helmet, Ribblecycles has them for 20% off. The site isn't region restricting giro helmets either.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
1944 posts
1797 upvotes
Quebec
Bought a Specialized Hardrock a few years ago, didn't use it that much but the back tire thread is somewhat gone. Would it be hard to change it myself?