• Sep 14th, 2017 3:50 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
1213 posts
91 upvotes
Kitchener
singhownethu wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 11:16 am
Anyone use a particular site for used MTB or cycling equipment? High end stuff?
Pinkbike
Feb 25, 2003
151 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
MonsieurX wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 2:39 pm
Bought a Specialized Hardrock a few years ago, didn't use it that much but the back tire thread is somewhat gone. Would it be hard to change it myself?
No, it's pretty simple, just get some tire levers. Lots of YouTube videos out there.
Feb 9, 2005
631 posts
33 upvotes
Can anyone share their knowledge before I proceed. Can I install a more recent version of the alivio rear mech (left pic) on an older frame (right pic)?

Youtube search seems to be limited to the installation of rear mech on replaceable dropouts.

Google seems to indicate it can be done but it wasn't clear as there are so many different options out there.

Would I install it on the "claw" or could it be installed directly onto the frame (not where the axle nut is, but the screw behind it)?

Thanks for any advice.
Images
  • 27.JPG
  • Rear mech.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
1934 posts
1770 upvotes
Quebec
DeeCee wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 9:55 am
No, it's pretty simple, just get some tire levers. Lots of YouTube videos out there.
Any website in particular to look for the part?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1949 posts
53 upvotes
MonsieurX wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 2:39 pm
Bought a Specialized Hardrock a few years ago, didn't use it that much but the back tire thread is somewhat gone. Would it be hard to change it myself?
I watched a few YT videos and did it myself ... you just need to make sure you have the right tools, parts and some patience. Some tires are really difficult to remove and put on. Just make sure you don't pinch the tube between the tire and the rim when you're putting it back on.

You should be able to get tire levers, tubes, and a tire at MEC - or your local bike shop.

That said ... my bike shop charges me $8 (+ cost of materials) to change a tire/tube . I've done this before when I'm tired and had a flat on my way home from work.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2003
4577 posts
501 upvotes
GVR
Hi all, I'm looking for a professional bike fit service in the Vancouver / Burnaby / Coquitlam area (road bike).

Is there any recommendation?
Sep 10, 2006
173 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
chatbox wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 2:46 am
Hi all, I'm looking for a professional bike fit service in the Vancouver / Burnaby / Coquitlam area (road bike).

Is there any recommendation?
Check out https://bikefitsolutions.com/ - I went to Rob this past week; My friend recommended me to him. Superb service and very knowledgeable
Feb 25, 2003
151 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
spider78 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 12:49 pm
Check out https://bikefitsolutions.com/ - I went to Rob this past week; My friend recommended me to him. Superb service and very knowledgeable
Chatbox, this is at Catalyst Kinetics (as per my private message). It's a good choice.
Nov 11, 2005
249 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Just check local bike shop websites. There are plenty of dealers. They say that fall is the best time to buy at a discount. If it were me, I'd try the comparable Trek. Fuji comes to mind. They all make quality bikes. Also, don't buy anything without a test ride or two. Fit is key.

Best of luck.
Sep 6, 2011
98 posts
57 upvotes
vistaliving wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 9:57 am
Can anyone share their knowledge before I proceed. Can I install a more recent version of the alivio rear mech (left pic) on an older frame (right pic)?

Youtube search seems to be limited to the installation of rear mech on replaceable dropouts.

Google seems to indicate it can be done but it wasn't clear as there are so many different options out there.

Would I install it on the "claw" or could it be installed directly onto the frame (not where the axle nut is, but the screw behind it)?

Thanks for any advice.
The bike you have does not have a derailleur hanger. The Alivio rear mech will not fit and is too good for that bike. Get a more higher end bike instead.
Feb 9, 2005
631 posts
33 upvotes
Thanks. I already have a full XT bike. Just had the Alivio lying around and was interested in putting it onto an older bike.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1592 posts
146 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 8:53 am
i don't, i buy from the UK for 50% of local price or less
I've noticed a lot of stuff is way cheaper from the UK. How bad are duties?
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Jun 24, 2009
4 posts
toronto
Swerny wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 8:53 am
i don't, i buy from the UK for 50% of local price or less
yea you're right just saw some cheaper prices from uk online shops. now it's a matter of duty and taxes.