• Nov 22nd, 2017 11:39 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9250 posts
1817 upvotes
Toronto
differing wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 6:36 pm
Has anyone encountered a SRAM 1x11 setup on a stock road bike? I'd really love to see it in action, but I haven't seen any road/tri bikes that come built with that groupset, just CX bikes currently: (ex http://www.sweetpetes.com/product/giant ... 4118-1.htm).
i personally don't think the 1x11 gearing is wide enough range for an actual road bike unless there are no hills whatsoever.

I ride mostly in the Collingwood area and it wouldn't work for me.

Just my $0.02.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1951 posts
54 upvotes
sixteen12 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 6:57 pm
What trainer are people using for Zwift? Looking to add a smart trainer for my winter training in the basement.
I use the Wahoo Kickr - I tried the Neo but didn't feel like I noticed enough of a difference between the two to justify the $500 difference last year.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10608 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
Swerny wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:03 am
i personally don't think the 1x11 gearing is wide enough range for an actual road bike unless there are no hills whatsoever.

I ride mostly in the Collingwood area and it wouldn't work for me.

Just my $0.02.
I guess it depends on how low you need to go. The C3 Cervelo I linked above has a 44 with 11-36 which gives you a 32-105 gear inches range. My bike with Ultegra has 11-28 with 50/34 has a range of 32-115. So the low gear is actually the same. The big gaps between the gears might be annoying though.

but then again, the biggest hill I ever tackled is Gatineau park
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1624 posts
817 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
differing wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 6:36 pm
Has anyone encountered a SRAM 1x11 setup on a stock road bike? I'd really love to see it in action, but I haven't seen any road/tri bikes that come built with that groupset, just CX bikes currently: (ex http://www.sweetpetes.com/product/giant ... 4118-1.htm).
I have a SRAM Rival 1x11 setup on my CX bike, TCX Advanced Pro 2. I find it fine for my style of cycling as I don't really go that fast on the road, usually using it on trails and light offroad. However, if you do go really fast, I have maxed out before.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1951 posts
54 upvotes
What does everyone think of doing a bike fit before purchasing a bike? For my last road bike, I had one done after I bought the bike and everything worked out. But now I'm reading about people doing the fits before buying a bike... has anyone done this?
Sep 10, 2006
178 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
bunnyfoo wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 11:24 am
What does everyone think of doing a bike fit before purchasing a bike? For my last road bike, I had one done after I bought the bike and everything worked out. But now I'm reading about people doing the fits before buying a bike... has anyone done this?
I am just starting out this year, and I wish i did do a bike fit first. (Or at least sync with an experienced rider) I did my bike fit after the fact, and came to know that my bike doesn't fit me well. I should have gotten something else as the reach on my bike is too long and resulted in me needing a shorter stem.

Now that I know my measurements, what sort of bike fits me and how the process works, i dont think i would do another bike fit.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9250 posts
1817 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 1:53 pm
I guess it depends on how low you need to go. The C3 Cervelo I linked above has a 44 with 11-36 which gives you a 32-105 gear inches range. My bike with Ultegra has 11-28 with 50/34 has a range of 32-115. So the low gear is actually the same. The big gaps between the gears might be annoying though.

but then again, the biggest hill I ever tackled is Gatineau park
in your case, the low is fine, but you may spin out at the high end.

If it works for you, that's great, but my setup is 11-32 with a compact 50/34 and i feel i could climb anything while rarely spinning out. I'm a poor climber and weigh about 215 BTW
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2100 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
I want to extend my commuting this year and do it over rain / winter season. Recommend me a set of full fenders please. Dont have to be perm mount, can be clip on, since I also cross the bike and it will be easier to take off.
Bike - 2015 Giant TCX SLR1
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10608 posts
1690 upvotes
Ottawa
Swerny wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 11:55 am
If it works for you, that's great, but my setup is 11-32 with a compact 50/34 and i feel i could climb anything while rarely spinning out. I'm a poor climber and weigh about 215 BTW
definitely a few times I wished I had a bailout gear like a 32.

I do kind of like the idea of a 1x front setup, looks so clean and extra cool and also save some weight in the process. But in my experience with a Shimano Affine 8 speed setup, there were too many gaps in the gears I stay in 80% of the time. For a city bike, it would definitely be do-able.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9250 posts
1817 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 3:43 pm
definitely a few times I wished I had a bailout gear like a 32.

I do kind of like the idea of a 1x front setup, looks so clean and extra cool and also save some weight in the process. But in my experience with a Shimano Affine 8 speed setup, there were too many gaps in the gears I stay in 80% of the time. For a city bike, it would definitely be do-able.
Agreed, I have 1x11 on my fat bike and love it. The new 1x12 systems seem to solve the "problem" of insufficient range
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2100 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
stendzme wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 3:01 pm
Any ever used Bike Discount out of germany?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en

Prince on tires seems really good, but they ship with DHL (which is bad!)...
I did last year. Did not get hit with extras, but your mileage may vary. Just like with all the shipping from overseas, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. In the end you win because there is SOOOOO much savings to be had.
Sep 6, 2011
156 posts
103 upvotes
stendzme wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 3:01 pm
Any ever used Bike Discount out of germany?

https://www.bike-discount.de/en

Prince on tires seems really good, but they ship with DHL (which is bad!)...
German DHL (unlike oversea private DHL) hands over to national postal services such as Canada Post, you "may" get dinged CBSA handling fee and tax, not DHL's own handling fee (this is absolutely not the case if ordered using DHL from outside Germany). For road tires, go for merlincycles.com instead, free shipping with purchases over $100.
Jun 24, 2009
8 posts
toronto
isgaard wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 1:04 am
German DHL (unlike oversea private DHL) hands over to national postal services such as Canada Post, you "may" get dinged CBSA handling fee and tax, not DHL's own handling fee (this is absolutely not the case if ordered using DHL from outside Germany). For road tires, go for merlincycles.com instead, free shipping with purchases over $100.
Hmm was watching those gp4000s. The price is pretty good at merlincycles.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7921 posts
423 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't really "cycle", I'm a casual rider back and forth to work. I ride slow. :)

But my question is any ideas why my hybrid bike is wobbly when I've been riding the past week? I took my bike to three different shops this week. Had them test ride. One said everything seemed fine. Second suggested it was my head unit. Third guy cleaned up the bearings inside the head unit. There was one loose spoke somhe tightened that. He said it rides much better and his words, "resolved the problem". Unfortnateky the problem isn't solved. As well when I really notice the problem is when riding no hands, to me the front shakes and wobbles,a fair amount. As well I notice it wobbly etc when coasting at 15-20km/h.

I'm dumbfounded and not sure what to do next? Taking into account I know very little about bikes.

Do I need to have the bike taken apart and put back together? Overhaul?

Thanks