• Nov 22nd, 2017 11:39 am
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10614 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
CapKap wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 8:48 pm
How do you recommend I accomplish this? Just go into my LBS and try out different bikes? Rent them?
trying out bikes is a good thing for sure and a must do before you plunk down any money, but it's still hard to get a feel for how you "bond" to a particular bike with a 10 minute test ride. You won't know how well it fits into your life unless you have it for a while. So there may be some trial and error.

I did it the hard way, I bought different bikes and finally settled on two I wanted to keep forever. I went through a few other bikes in the process and sold them off when they didn't get any ride time. Also, things change....I have a nice road bike which I loved riding but I don't have the time these days to do hardcore road biking for hours...my folding bike is actually being used a lot more because I usually ride to go somewhere or just for leisure.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Aug 5, 2010
276 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto Bike Show fall blow out is next weekend - worth going? Looking for a new MTB...
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3527 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
stendzme wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 11:54 am
Toronto Bike Show fall blow out is next weekend - worth going? Looking for a new MTB...
For MTB or road bikes, yes. Also, usually bike shops have the same sale during that weekend too, but call them first.
Aug 5, 2010
276 posts
75 upvotes
Mr. Robo wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 5:22 pm
For MTB or road bikes, yes. Also, usually bike shops have the same sale during that weekend too, but call them first.
Good call - scored a deal on a 2017 Kona Big Kahuna 27.5+. Hope the weather holds so i can give it a good shake down cruise...
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
2068 posts
587 upvotes
London
stendzme wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 3:23 pm
Good call - scored a deal on a 2017 Kona Big Kahuna 27.5+. Hope the weather holds so i can give it a good shake down cruise...
What kind of deal?
Aug 5, 2010
276 posts
75 upvotes
tickyboy wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:30 pm
What kind of deal?
$350 off MSRP. Had my size in stock which was a bonus, and didn't have to fight the crowds at the bike show.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
2068 posts
587 upvotes
London
stendzme wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:46 pm
$350 off MSRP. Had my size in stock which was a bonus, and didn't have to fight the crowds at the bike show.
Nice pickup! Great looking bike
Aug 5, 2010
276 posts
75 upvotes
tickyboy wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 9:17 pm
Nice pickup! Great looking bike
First ride in - love it. Coming off a rigid fat bike, so suspension was so nice to have. Lot's of traction, and felt much faster on the usual trails.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
3450 posts
324 upvotes
West Side GTA
so it seems after 9 years moisture has gotten to my rear red bike light and crapped out my circuit board button :/ What's a good commuter replacement for these as I had one of the planetbike superflashes that were 180 degrees. I'm looking at the bontranger flare right now and that thing looks bright
Feb 25, 2003
172 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
-=phelan=- wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 8:25 pm
so it seems after 9 years moisture has gotten to my rear red bike light and crapped out my circuit board button :/ What's a good commuter replacement for these as I had one of the planetbike superflashes that were 180 degrees. I'm looking at the bontranger flare right now and that thing looks bright
9 years?! That's quite the stretch! I'm guessing this was before USB charging? There's plenty of good tail lights (and head lights) on the market now, Bontrager Ion being one of them. You can read plenty of reviews here: https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/reviews/
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10614 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
I collected a lot of flashlights over the years and the changes in the white LED technology in the last 5-10 years has been dramatic. Time to get a new light anyway. I have the Bontrager Ion front light and it works well and has a great beam. I can imagine the rear ones are very nice too (I use a Light and Motion brand light for my rear). I would definitely consider getting another Bontrager light
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2103 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 10:14 am
I collected a lot of flashlights over the years and the changes in the white LED technology in the last 5-10 years has been dramatic. Time to get a new light anyway. I have the Bontrager Ion front light and it works well and has a great beam. I can imagine the rear ones are very nice too (I use a Light and Motion brand light for my rear). I would definitely consider getting another Bontrager light
I had the Bontrager Ion on my cross / commute bike for 2 years. This year it crapped out. Will not turn on / wont charge.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10614 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 10:53 am
I had the Bontrager Ion on my cross / commute bike for 2 years. This year it crapped out. Will not turn on / wont charge.
oh damn....mines two years old, I hope it doesn't die because $80 for 2 years use isn't good.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2103 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 11:02 am
oh damn....mines two years old, I hope it doesn't die because $80 for 2 years use isn't good.
Nope its not. My other two lights Cygolite 650 are both now 4 years old and work perfect including holding the charge etc.