Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2017 11:39 am
Feb 25, 2003
172 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
Same here, I have a Cygolite Metro 550 that is working fine after a couple of years. I bought it from MEC, so if anything does happen, I can return it. That's the RFD way isn't it?
Sep 8, 2017
38 posts
22 upvotes
Thanks everyone (especially @warpdrive, @Swerny, @spider78)...I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a bike. After your help, I've narrowed down my options given the selections at my LBS's. Any thoughts on the following bikes?

1. Opus Spark 2 - Tiagra - Carbon Fork - super sexy - $1280+tax
2. GT Grade Alloy - Sora - Aluminum - meh looking - $804+tax
3. Norco Threshold A3 - Sora - Aluminum - pretty sexy - $775 taxes in

Obviously, I'd like to save money but also don't mind spending a bit more for a higher quality bike.
Ever since I discovered RFD, I've spent so much money in the interest of saving money...
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10614 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
CapKap wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 10:07 pm
Thanks everyone (especially @warpdrive, @Swerny, @spider78)...I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a bike. After your help, I've narrowed down my options given the selections at my LBS's. Any thoughts on the following bikes?

Obviously, I'd like to save money but also don't mind spending a bit more for a higher quality bike.
Obviously the Opus is the nicest of the bikes.....Tiagra + pseudo hydraulic brakes + carbon fork. Those things cost extra and are probably worth it. The brakes will be noticeable and the carbon fork is just going to be better in terms of ride quality.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9253 posts
1818 upvotes
Toronto
CapKap wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 10:07 pm

Of those 3, the Opus. It lists for $1800 and is spec'd well...surprised it has narrow stock tires on it though and it's 10 speed (which is fine).

If you are looking at Norco's check out the Search.

Assuming you are buying new and looking at competing shops, find out what they're offering for free service plans

The Threshold is a Cx bike with very aggressive geometry....i know because i looked at them after my Giant TCX.....i went the gravel/adventure bike route and i'm glad i did
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3916 posts
216 upvotes
Hey just wondering if anybody could provide some input? Been thinking of upgrading my bike recently and narrowed it down to:

1. 2017 Cervelo R2 105
2. 2017 BMC Teammachine SLR03 105 5800
3. Look 765 Ultegra (partial)

All are roughly the same pricing. My hesitation on the Cervelo R2 is that i've read that people have had issues with frame cracks. The BMC looks really sexy and the Look just seems like good value at current sale prices but I haven't read much about them. I'm going to try to test them all out before making a decision. Also open to other options in the $1.5-2K ish range.

This is my first upgrade from my Jamis Ventura Sport. Hoping to keep this one for a while.
Last edited by RastaManMax on Oct 19th, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 19, 2012
62 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
Hey guys, wanted to give a quick update on what I ended up buying for my first bike after receiving excellent advice from all you folks.

While I had my eye out for a Trek Emonda ALR 4, I couldn't find any in my size to try out.

I was also tempted to pick something up at the Toronto fall bike show last weekend but I felt more overwhelmed than anything after seeing the huge selection of bikes, especially the ones in my price range of $2K or less. However, the last thing I wanted was to make an impulse purchase or overshoot my budget, both of which I was close to doing several times. I walked away empty handed but it was a cool experience to see such a large bike bazaar in a relatively small space.

Fast forward a week, I found a new 2016 Giant TCR SLR 2 with 105 on Kijiji for $1350 and decided to jump on it. Specs from Giant.

And of course, obligatory picture: https://imgur.com/CIh9g0Y

Clipless pedals are definitely a future purchase once I get more acclimated to riding.
Sep 8, 2017
38 posts
22 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 10:27 pm
Obviously the Opus is the nicest of the bikes.....Tiagra + pseudo hydraulic brakes + carbon fork. Those things cost extra and are probably worth it. The brakes will be noticeable and the carbon fork is just going to be better in terms of ride quality.
Swerny wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 8:29 am
Of those 3, the Opus. It lists for $1800 and is spec'd well...surprised it has narrow stock tires on it though and it's 10 speed (which is fine).

If you are looking at Norco's check out the Search.

Assuming you are buying new and looking at competing shops, find out what they're offering for free service plans

The Threshold is a Cx bike with very aggressive geometry....i know because i looked at them after my Giant TCX.....i went the gravel/adventure bike route and i'm glad i did
After the unanimous vote for the Opus, I went into the shop and asked the owner about the bike. He ended up complaining about the brakes and said he's going to swap them out for a manual shimano set. So based on that, Opus is still the better bike - but is it $500+ better? All it has going for it at this point is the Tiagra groupset and carbon fork.
Ever since I discovered RFD, I've spent so much money in the interest of saving money...
Sep 8, 2017
38 posts
22 upvotes
Congratulations @Moondeer ! That's a gorgeous bike...

Even though I want a gravel bike I almost impulse purchased a road bike because they're so damn aesthetic. Glad to see being patient worked out for you!

EDIT: Almost picked up this one: https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332217 ... =332217744
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10614 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
CapKap wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 9:31 pm
After the unanimous vote for the Opus, I went into the shop and asked the owner about the bike. He ended up complaining about the brakes and said he's going to swap them out for a manual shimano set. So based on that, Opus is still the better bike - but is it $500+ better? All it has going for it at this point is the Tiagra groupset and carbon fork.
that's a bit odd.....why would he swap out brakes on a brand new bike? What's the complaint? They are common brakes offered as an upgrade from mechanical brakes on other bikes.

Not sure if I would settle for a bike that has different brakes subbed in....the brakes themselves are a bit more expensive than regular brakes which accounts for part of the price difference.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7921 posts
423 upvotes
Vancouver
Fenders ugh. I got my first set installed a few days ago. I commute 2x 30minutes when the weather isn't a downpour. After a few days I think there rubbing already. Are fenders are pain in the ass because if so I don't want them. I fully expected when the fenders were installed it would be good to commute day to day maybe the odd adjustment I guess. I am not impressed so far. The price is not worth it to me if there gonna do this all the time.

Any thoughts?
Sep 8, 2017
38 posts
22 upvotes
I can't remember exactly why but it was along the lines of this: apparently the brakes don't work too well & there's significant lever travel when pressed before the brakes are actually effective. There's a workaround where a secondary oil canister line can be blocked but the owner said he's not willing to do that for liability purposes.

That being said, he'd rather hold on to the inventory and figure it out then let the customer go on a potentially unsafe bike. From my interactions with him, he seems to be very knowledgeable & experienced when it comes to cycling and comes across as genuine. He's got spectacular reviews online as well so I don't think he's trying to pull a fast one.

Should I ask him to keep the brakes on there if they're generally well regarded? Also doo you know of any great deals in Ottawa? I'm in Kingston so I wouldn't mind driving up to score a good deal!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10614 posts
1692 upvotes
Ottawa
I had the same brakes and there was indeed a lot of brake lever travel, but I still liked them as they still stopped quite well. I would keep them if it was me. But maybe he's seen more of them go bad or something.

I'd imagine that Toronto would be the best place to get a deal. Ottawa is not that great for deals but there can be some jewels from time to time

Have a gander here to see if there is anything that strikes your fancy https://www.rebecandkroes.com/cyclocros ... bikes.html (I find some of the MSRP sometimes inflated though)
Feb 25, 2003
172 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
trellaine201 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 10:56 pm
Fenders ugh. I got my first set installed a few days ago. I commute 2x 30minutes when the weather isn't a downpour. After a few days I think there rubbing already. Are fenders are pain in the ass because if so I don't want them. I fully expected when the fenders were installed it would be good to commute day to day maybe the odd adjustment I guess. I am not impressed so far. The price is not worth it to me if there gonna do this all the time.

Any thoughts?
Take your time and adjust where needed, and seeing where it's rubbing. I've had fenders on my commuter for 8 years now, no issues. Been riding this bike 4x/week to work throughout the year in all sorts of weather. Just make sure your fenders are the proper size and spaced evenly on both sides. If that's fine, then make sure your wheels and tires are true.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7626 posts
169 upvotes
Moondeer wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 7:46 pm
Hey guys, wanted to give a quick update on what I ended up buying for my first bike after receiving excellent advice from all you folks.

While I had my eye out for a Trek Emonda ALR 4, I couldn't find any in my size to try out.

I was also tempted to pick something up at the Toronto fall bike show last weekend but I felt more overwhelmed than anything after seeing the huge selection of bikes, especially the ones in my price range of $2K or less. However, the last thing I wanted was to make an impulse purchase or overshoot my budget, both of which I was close to doing several times. I walked away empty handed but it was a cool experience to see such a large bike bazaar in a relatively small space.

Fast forward a week, I found a new 2016 Giant TCR SLR 2 with 105 on Kijiji for $1350 and decided to jump on it. Specs from Giant.

And of course, obligatory picture: https://imgur.com/CIh9g0Y

Clipless pedals are definitely a future purchase once I get more acclimated to riding.
sweet ride!!! looks sleek!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2103 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
trellaine201 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 10:56 pm

Any thoughts?
I have installed the Race Blade PRO XL on my Giant TCX 1 and not taking them off. They only slightly shift during very very rough offroading (cyclecross). $40 well spent.

I commute 30km+ one way every day and saved my ass (literally) many times since :)