• Nov 21st, 2017 8:23 am
Deal Addict
May 6, 2005
1692 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
shlomom wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 2:54 pm
Wonder what people are using for indoor training this fall/winter? Trainerroad, Zwift, Sufferfest, others?
Looking for a good option that will help me improve my FTP and VO2 max using scheduled workouts.
Do you use a power meter? To get the most out of any of these programs, a power meter is strongly recommended.

I've used Trainerroad for a few years now and it is the best option for structured training plans with a specific goal and type of riding in mind - road races, time trials, sportifs/fondos, sprints, climbs, etc. Each plan also has low, medium, and high volume variants to suit your available training time. The program adjusts your power target during your workout to guide you through the intervals, making the workouts quite precise.

Sufferfest is going in that direction with its app and new 4DP stuff, but Trainerroad is the time-tested standard. 4DP has been the subject of quite a bit of vitriol from Andy Coggan (renowned cycling physiologist) over at Bikeradar for being derivative.

Zwift is more of a game than a training tool. It's possible to have structured training with Zwift, but that's not its focus.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2099 posts
213 upvotes
Mississauga
wushudrew wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 9:38 pm
Do you use a power meter? To get the most out of any of these programs, a power meter is strongly recommended.

I've used Trainerroad for a few years now and it is the best option for structured training plans with a specific goal and type of riding in mind - road races, time trials, sportifs/fondos, sprints, climbs, etc. Each plan also has low, medium, and high volume variants to suit your available training time. The program adjusts your power target during your workout to guide you through the intervals, making the workouts quite precise.

Sufferfest is going in that direction with its app and new 4DP stuff, but Trainerroad is the time-tested standard. 4DP has been the subject of quite a bit of vitriol from Andy Coggan (renowned cycling physiologist) over at Bikeradar for being derivative.

Zwift is more of a game than a training tool. It's possible to have structured training with Zwift, but that's not its focus.
And because none of us here will ever be racers, and just because someone does couple granfondos a year, does not mean you are a racer.
Zwift makes it fun, challenging and still provides feedback with what is happening as you spin in various situations on the road.
Nov 23, 2013
115 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
wushudrew wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 9:38 pm

Yeah I have a smart trainer so it has my power on it.

I'll give TrainerRoad a try - thanks for the suggestion!
Jun 28, 2015
194 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hey gang,

So I'm going to the USA in December for a week. Was thinking this would be a good time to get some bike parts. Which online stores do you recommend?

I figure I'll get the stuff shipped to my hotel (a few places have free shipping within the USA) and then I can bring back duty free.

I know of Jensen and nashbar. But outside of those, don't know which are good or not.

Anywho. Just looking for some thoughts.

Thanks a bunch :)
Jul 8, 2014
37 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi all,

My girl friend is looking into getting an entry level road bike ($1 - 1.5K with tax, something like a Giant Contend or Liv Avail, 2017 or 2018)

Wondering if we would get a better deal trying to look for a 2017 model now, or wait for the next discount season around the spring bike show time. She won't be riding it in the winter so timing is not an issue for us.

Thanks
Aug 10, 2008
388 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I think now would be a good time to buy. For entry level, don't spend too much on a bike, spend more for things like clothing, pedals, shoes, helmet, sunglasses. Consider alluminum bikes, for a beginner it won't make any difference in performance at all, even for many elite level riders. Spend some time on YouTube and do some research, it'll go a long way on your decisions.
Jul 8, 2014
37 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do places like Bikesauce or Bikechain have a torque wrench available? Need to do make some adjustments to my bike.
Jun 24, 2009
8 posts
toronto
SiuMai wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 6:21 pm
Do places like Bikesauce or Bikechain have a torque wrench available? Need to do make some adjustments to my bike.
best to call. also your user name is making me crave dim sum lol
Nov 27, 2006
647 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
Think this is a long shot but might as well ask in here. I'll be back in Toronto for the holidays and need a trainer to use from Dec. 8 - Jan 11. Would anyone happen to have a trainer in their basement collecting dust that they can loan out to me? I can throw in $50 or something for the "rental".
Aug 8, 2010
652 posts
509 upvotes
GTA
rebjorne wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 12:08 pm
Think this is a long shot but might as well ask in here. I'll be back in Toronto for the holidays and need a trainer to use from Dec. 8 - Jan 11. Would anyone happen to have a trainer in their basement collecting dust that they can loan out to me? I can throw in $50 or something for the "rental".
I have an old CycleOps wind trainer that I can lend you, but I am in the north-west end of Brampton.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10604 posts
1685 upvotes
Ottawa
I got an email about the Black Friday sale on Flo cycling wheels.

They are having 40% off their carbon Clinchers + Free shipping. These are US prices, but that means a set of 45mm profile carbon wheels is $689 USD. And FREE shipping internationally too.

That's a hot deal if I say so myself. I'm not in the market for new wheels (still riding my 55mm P-SLR 0 Aero takeoffs) but I would have totally jumped on that if I needed an upgrade.

Not going to post this in HOT deals because the trolls and haters would be out in force on $1000 wheels.
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Jun 28, 2015
194 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto, ON
warpdrive wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 3:37 pm
I got an email about the Black Friday sale on Flo cycling wheels.

They are having 40% off their carbon Clinchers + Free shipping. These are US prices, but that means a set of 45mm profile carbon wheels is $689 USD. And FREE shipping internationally too.

That's a hot deal if I say so myself. I'm not in the market for new wheels (still riding my 55mm P-SLR 0 Aero takeoffs) but I would have totally jumped on that if I needed an upgrade.

Not going to post this in HOT deals because the trolls and haters would be out in force on $1000 wheels.
I've got a set of Flo 30's and they are awesome. I absolutely love them.

IF I was in the market, I would absolutely get these. Mmm nom nom.