RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2018 4:06 pm
May 1, 2008
118 posts
5 upvotes
206bw wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 2:18 pm
Anyone done the Enbridge ride to conquer cancer in Toronto?

I was interested in joining, till I saw that each rider must raise a minimum of $2,500. What happens when rider could not reach that goal, which I highly doubt I will be able to?
If you don't raise the $2500, they will not provide you with the rider ID tags/package, so you won't be able to participate. My first year raising was relatively easy, but the second time people just felt like I was hitting them up for cash. So I donated the difference to make the $2500.
I did know someone that rode along unofficially, he was asked to stop by organizers, but they could not stop him since it's not a closed route. However, he did not use any of the official rest stops. But I would not suggest or advise any one to do this.
Jul 8, 2014
79 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For those who live in a condo, do you store your bike on the balcony? Any concerns/tips for storing it outside in these harsh Canadian weather?

Will also be getting a bike for my GF soon, and we are running out of space Crying Face
Oct 31, 2017
250 posts
60 upvotes
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00MIIZEX ... ref=plSrch

I bought the head accel road bike with tires designed for smooth pavement. Problem is that easiest gear is not easy going up Hills. I'm using the smallest gear in front and biggest in rear. It's freewheel with 7 gears on back wheel. The reviews for the Shimano freewheel say you can climb like a goat. My tires are around 60 psi. I live in Mountains and usually use mountain bike. And u have to bend over until face in the pavement to brake and brake pretty weak going down step Hill. Terrible in gravel.
Sep 6, 2011
517 posts
754 upvotes
Mrsleah wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:06 pm

I bought the head accel road bike with tires designed for smooth pavement. Problem is that easiest gear is not easy going up Hills. I'm using the smallest gear in front and biggest in rear. It's freewheel with 7 gears on back wheel. The reviews for the Shimano freewheel say you can climb like a goat. My tires are around 60 psi. I live in Mountains and usually use mountain bike. And u have to bend over until face in the pavement to brake and brake pretty weak going down step Hill. Terrible in gravel.
Those are no better than $100 Canadian tire bikes. If you paid the amazon's asking price you got ripped. My uber carbon road bike's tires cost more than that and it is at 100 psi for rear and 90 psi for the front.
Oct 31, 2017
250 posts
60 upvotes
isgaard wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:27 pm
Those are no better than $100 Canadian tire bikes. If you paid the amazon's asking price you got ripped. My uber carbon road bike's tires cost more than that and it is at 100 psi for rear and 90 psi for the front.
I paid $220 but worth couple thousand. Aluminum frame and wheel rims. 20lbs. Quick release wheels. Etc etc. You over paid for yours. My problem is that this bike is designed for Olympic athletes. Fantastic deal but I'm not Olympic caliber rider.
Sep 6, 2011
517 posts
754 upvotes
Mrsleah wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:42 pm
I paid $220 but worth couple thousand. Aluminum frame and wheel rims. 20lbs. Quick release wheels. Etc etc. You over paid for yours. My problem is that this bike is designed for Olympic athletes. Fantastic deal but I'm not Olympic caliber rider.
ha ha ha, your knowledge of bikes is elementary at best (first of all, the sooner you admit this the better). Your knowledge about bikes is bad as your guess of the bike's weight, it is not 20lb, it is more than that. That bike is nowhere close to a "worth couple thousand". Be realistic because massive exaggeration does not help you make your case. There is no bike on the market by a major manufacturer that has that spec for even a $1000 cause NO ONE would buy it and it would ruin their reputation. $200 is the max the Amazon bike should be worth and it ain't that much better than Canadian tire bikes "regular priced" at $300. Head is not even a bike manufacturer or a serious re-brander, they found a cheap bike and stuck their name brand on it because people (like you) who don't know bikes know any better.

For example, this is a $1000 bike and the last year's model can be found on sale for $800 or less, https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/allez ... 797-129052 https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/bike ... Code=black

Better brakes, integrated shifters, better crankset, better tires, better components, carbon fork, a PROPERLY engineered aluminum frame. With the Trek or Specialized, you can strip it down to the frame and the frame is still worth reusing. The frame on that Head bike is garbage.
Mrsleah wrote:
My problem is that this bike is designed for Olympic athletes. Fantastic deal but I'm not Olympic caliber rider.
No serious cyclist much less an Olympic level athlete would ride this amazon bike, the most they would do is buy it as a beater/beer bike. Either you're trolling or you're completely clueless on what a nice bikes are, cause you probably never own or used a very nice bike before.
Mrsleah wrote:
You over paid for yours.
I'm going to tell everyone that I know who has a bike worth more than $1000 that they overpaid because you said so. /s

Premium (or hell, even decent) products cost money, pretty simple concept, this is redflagdeals not redflagcheapskate-who-only-buy-crap-products.

Now..... if you're one of those PEOPLE who think bikes shouldn't cost more than $500 just like cars shouldn't cost more than $20,000 (or always buy used), then you're entitled to your frugal can't-afford-nice-things-or-don't-want-to-afford-nice-things mindset. But as someone (moi) who has shit bikes for around town AND very nice bikes, the difference is between a McDonald's hamburger or a very nice steak. Anyhoo, enjoy your amazon bike!
Oct 31, 2017
250 posts
60 upvotes
Department store bikes are superior to expensive bikes because engineering and capital equipment costs are spread over millions of bikes. It's simple economies of scale. Expensive bikes are not made in enough quantity to compete. Not to mention the gigantic retail markup on expensive bikes. You just cannot improve on a $200 bike. It's just like cotton pants. You can't improve on $30 cotton pants. That does not stop people from paying $200 cotton pants.
Some people are very very thirsty for the tiny bit of social status that comes with buying heavily advertised brands. The sad part is that the very poorest members of our society are the ones who are so thirsty for expensive brands.
Sep 6, 2011
517 posts
754 upvotes
Mrsleah wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:14 am
Department store bikes are superior to expensive bikes because engineering and capital equipment costs are spread over millions of bikes. It's simple economies of scale. Expensive bikes are not made in enough quantity to compete. Not to mention the gigantic retail markup on expensive bikes. You just cannot improve on a $200 bike. It's just like cotton pants. You can't improve on $30 cotton pants. That does not stop people from paying $200 cotton pants.
Some people are very very thirsty for the tiny bit of social status that comes with buying heavily advertised brands. The sad part is that the very poorest members of our society are the ones who are so thirsty for expensive brands.
Holy moly, downvote you! Good bye troll!
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2435 posts
366 upvotes
Mississauga
Mrsleah wrote:
You cannot be serious lol No F'n way you are serious haha
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3688 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
SiuMai wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 6:17 pm
For those who live in a condo, do you store your bike on the balcony? Any concerns/tips for storing it outside in these harsh Canadian weather?

Will also be getting a bike for my GF soon, and we are running out of space Crying Face
If you are going to store your bike on the balcony, I suggest you get something like this rack and bike covers.

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/outdoo ... YfEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... 3x2wjwkw_e

And make sure the covers are tied down really tight and secure, depending how high you live, the winds can be so strong that they will literally fly right off. Again, these ideas are just a suggestion. Someone might have a better alternative.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11214 posts
2076 upvotes
Ottawa
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 3:47 pm
You cannot be serious lol No F'n way you are serious haha
Sadly I don't think he/she is joking. I remember that same poster making other ridiculous claims in the past
Mar 29, 2007
148 posts
15 upvotes
Mrsleah wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:06 pm

Just keep on practicing. Climbs will get easier as you get fitter. Hills that used to kill me when I started I now race up. Its not about the bike.

dont buy upgrades. climb up grades.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
Mrsleah wrote:
As many have already said - ridiculous.

Go to any DIY bike repair shop and talk to their volunteers.
You'll find out that they throw out much of that unreliable and often unusable garbage.
Don't get me started on the ones that incorporate non standard designs/parts.

Mid range for the win.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10211 posts
2723 upvotes
Toronto
Mrsleah wrote:

no chance, sorry.
Mrsleah wrote:
holy post-fail.

I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years buying expensive bikes.
Feb 25, 2003
193 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
SiuMai wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 6:17 pm

I store my 'nice' bike inside my apartment. I wouldn't leave it out on the balcony, especially in a Toronto winter! (I'm out in BC, still wouldn't). Plenty of moisture to rust your chain, errant bird poop, etc...
I suggest maybe getting a wall rack to hang your bike up inside?