Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2018 3:35 pm
Feb 25, 2003
203 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone on here have Cane Creek eeBrakes? If so, what's the lowest price you've seen? Currently, Glory Cycles has them on sale for $529.99USD and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Even the cheapest on eBay is $599.99USD.
Oct 31, 2017
301 posts
76 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 9:15 am
no chance, sorry.

holy post-fail.

I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years buying expensive bikes.
Well, I use cheap mountain bike for mountain bike racing . I practice almost full-time and have never had a problem with the bike. Walmart is not going to sell a product that is garbage.
Oct 31, 2017
301 posts
76 upvotes
TomKat2 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 7:41 am
Just keep on practicing. Climbs will get easier as you get fitter. Hills that used to kill me when I started I now race up. Its not about the bike.

dont buy upgrades. climb up grades.
I'm in pretty good shape from mountain biking. I guess I could be spoiled by the gearing on MTN bike.
Thanks for serious response.
Jun 24, 2009
36 posts
8 upvotes
toronto
Did the Bicycle Show ever have Pinarello or Cervelo bikes for sale? There's one coming up in March and I wanna replace my junk road bike before summer hits.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1979 posts
57 upvotes
I haven't tried a Walmart bike myself but there was this YouTube video of someone taking a Walmart bike down on a downhill trail

Mar 29, 2007
153 posts
15 upvotes
bunnyfoo wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 2:12 pm
I haven't tried a Walmart bike myself but there was this YouTube video of someone taking a Walmart bike down on a downhill trail

Thanks for sharing. Highly entertaining. Cant wait for 200 dollar walmart bikes to come with carbon rims as stock. Id like to see a video review of that bike.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11543 posts
2355 upvotes
Ottawa
bunnyfoo wrote:

that was definitely entertaining. I wonder if a $500 mountain bike would survive that kind of riding.
Jun 24, 2009
36 posts
8 upvotes
toronto
Swerny wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 1:32 pm
I’ve definitely seen Cervelo at the shows.
Cool thanks.
Sep 6, 2011
689 posts
1089 upvotes
bunnyfoo wrote:
Half a set of my disc brake not including rotor on my mountain bike cost more than that bike, but it modulates and stops SO frigging well (Shimano Deore XT M8000). Great bikes are a joy to ride. If I wouldn't bother riding bikes if I was only mentally allowed to ride $200< bikes like @Mrsleah .
TomKat2 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 2:45 pm
Thanks for sharing. Highly entertaining. Cant wait for 200 dollar walmart bikes to come with carbon rims as stock. Id like to see a video review of that bike.
Probably not going to happen for a very long time unless they manage to find a way to make carbon rims without the labour that is required today.
warpdrive wrote:
Feb 18th, 2018 4:49 pm
that was definitely entertaining. I wonder if a $500 mountain bike would survive that kind of riding.
Something like this is very survival and heaps better than anything less than $300: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/atx-2 and $100 more will get you this, much better parts: http://konaworld.com/lanai.cfm

I'm not seeing any bikes under $600 from major bike brands anymore, it's one way of weeding out cheap ass customers because those customers will typically shop at walmart, Canadian tire, or Amazon, why bother competing with that demographic.
Sep 27, 2003
9279 posts
2130 upvotes
Newmarket
Not sure if I've posted in this thread, lots of posts.

I ride a 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra; upgraded the wheels to Campagnolo Zondas. I maintain some good relationships with cycling shops in the GTA that often allow me to not have to purchase from the UK. Can't wait for the winter to be over!

I was fortunately to get this bike on clearance and just before prices skyrocketed due to the adjusted exchange rate. Ultegra equipped bikes are quite pricey now, especially now that Discs (and Di2) have become standard.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Mar 29, 2007
153 posts
15 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 11:08 pm
Not sure if I've posted in this thread, lots of posts.

I ride a 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra; upgraded the wheels to Campagnolo Zondas. I maintain some good relationships with cycling shops in the GTA that often allow me to not have to purchase from the UK. Can't wait for the winter to be over!

I was fortunately to get this bike on clearance and just before prices skyrocketed due to the adjusted exchange rate. Ultegra equipped bikes are quite pricey now, especially now that Discs (and Di2) have become standard.
Ultegra 6800 is a great group. Blindfolded, I bet one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and dura ace. Even the new iterations of the groups. Now with the new ultegra group out the 6800 can be had for great deals.
Sep 27, 2003
9279 posts
2130 upvotes
Newmarket
TomKat2 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 8:22 pm
Ultegra 6800 is a great group. Blindfolded, I bet one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and dura ace. Even the new iterations of the groups. Now with the new ultegra group out the 6800 can be had for great deals.
I agree, 6800 is a great set.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Jan 27, 2008
641 posts
23 upvotes
This will be my first time visiting the spring bike show and looking to buy a lower end road bike (aluminum frame, sora/tiagra group sect).

Wondering which day I should go to get the best deal, and usually what kind of deal can i expect?