• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 11:31 pm
Feb 5, 2010
28 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
warpdrive wrote:
May 5th, 2018 2:14 pm
any of those bikes would work absolutely fine....you might want to start with the CTM (assuming you fit on that one size). For the other three, the primary differences is that the Sirrus has a cheaper aluminum fork, and the Trek has nice hydraulic disk brakes. My money would go for the Trek because of the brakes. the stopping power of disc brakes is always consistent in all weather.
Thanks warpdrive!
I ended up picking up the Sirrus as the model they were showing had the hydraulic disk brakes and carbon fiber fork. I think it was a pretty good deal at the $800 clearance price.
https://www.ridleys.com/product/special ... 3784-1.htm

I hope I still made the right choice.

Now time to get accessories...!
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
azn_illuzion wrote:
May 5th, 2018 7:56 pm
Thanks warpdrive!
I ended up picking up the Sirrus as the model they were showing had the hydraulic disk brakes and carbon fiber fork. I think it was a pretty good deal at the $800 clearance price.
https://www.ridleys.com/product/special ... 3784-1.htm

I hope I still made the right choice.

Now time to get accessories...!
looks good man.....enjoy it!
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9987 posts
2454 upvotes
Toronto
I just purchased some carbon wheels for my Scott Solace Disc.

DT Swiss 350 SP bubs with 44 mm deep clinchers from Yishun Bike.

Happy with the transaction, pricing and communication was good, shipping was quick and they look and ride great!
Images
  • Solace 1.JPG
  • Solace 2.JPG
  • Solace 3.JPG
Feb 25, 2003
193 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
I snooze I loose. The local MEC had the last Ridley Fenix SL in my size on Thursday night, went back on Saturday intending to test it and it was gone. Oh well...
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1428 posts
322 upvotes
mississauga
anyone got any dropbars for sale looking for a 25.4 in the sauga area. pm me ;}
think first, buy later.
Nov 21, 2017
439 posts
370 upvotes
Looking for a fast hybrid without shocks so it's nice and light. I'm looking to upgrade my Roam 3, which I've had for 3 years and still like, but I'd like something faster (Roam clocks in at well over 30lbs), and something you can still take on light trails. I'm looking at the Giant Fastroad SLR1 (killer look and lightweight, disc brakes, but would need to swap out to thicker tires to go on light trails and it's the priciest), the Trek Fx3 (light, disc brakes, carbon fork and seat post, conservative look, middle price) and Marin Fairfax SC (lower price, disc brakes, looks good, not as widely available but NYT Wirecuttter had this as their top hybrid bike out of many bikes they tested in this class https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... his-is-for). Any advice to help narrow my search?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
thelasthunter wrote:
May 10th, 2018 10:56 pm
Any advice to help narrow my search?
seems like a wide range of bikes. The Marin SC1 has rim brakes no? I don't know if you'll find a big difference between your Roam and the Trek or Marin as they seem to be in the same ballpark in terms of parts (the main thing is losing the suspension), so the FastRoad or AnyRoad would be the best upgrade if you're looking to pick up speed.
Nov 21, 2017
439 posts
370 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
May 12th, 2018 4:42 pm
seems like a wide range of bikes. The Marin SC1 has rim brakes no? I don't know if you'll find a big difference between your Roam and the Trek or Marin as they seem to be in the same ballpark in terms of parts (the main thing is losing the suspension), so the FastRoad or AnyRoad would be the best upgrade if you're looking to pick up speed.
Yeah, I think losing the suspension and having a carbon fork (like the FX3) is like a 10 lbs difference in weight. I think I've outgrown the Roam and it now feels a tad sluggish to me.
I'm really keen on the Fastroad but see some people say it's uncomfortable due to the aggressive stance. I've ridden for a test drive and it felt really good, but that doesn't tell you much as far as having longer rides. The other thing is I would have to give it thicker tires so it can even handle beaten paths. Is the Fastroad worth it at $1500 given the parts or is it a tad overpriced? The Anyroad sounds good too, but I hate drop down bars and think they look mismatched on that frame.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
thelasthunter wrote:
May 12th, 2018 7:59 pm
Yeah, I think losing the suspension and having a carbon fork (like the FX3) is like a 10 lbs difference in weight. I think I've outgrown the Roam and it now feels a tad sluggish to me.
I'm really keen on the Fastroad but see some people say it's uncomfortable due to the aggressive stance. I've ridden for a test drive and it felt really good, but that doesn't tell you much as far as having longer rides. The other thing is I would have to give it thicker tires so it can even handle beaten paths. Is the Fastroad worth it at $1500 given the parts or is it a tad overpriced? The Anyroad sounds good too, but I hate drop down bars and think they look mismatched on that frame.
I would expect the Fastroad to be around 23-24 lbs in a medium size. The wheels aren't the lightest but they are still an upgrade over the generic wheels you get with the cheaper hybrids. The only knock against the Fastroad's pricing is that it should offer a Tiagra crank for the price instead of the generic Shimano crank, but overall the pricing seems to be in line with other road bike like hybrids. The Fastroad basically has road bike like geometry and the nice D-fuse feature which really does help for longer rides, which should help up your overall speed.
Nov 21, 2017
439 posts
370 upvotes
Thanks for your insight. Assuming I can do the drop down bars on the Anyroad is that a better pick than the fastroad, considering the $400 difference in price? I would say at least 20% of my riding is on beaten paths and such and it's the kind of riding I find most enjoable because of scenery and absence of cars. I'm kind of warming up to the Anyroad due to the price difference and bc it has brakes in various positions.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
thelasthunter wrote:
May 13th, 2018 10:52 am
Thanks for your insight. Assuming I can do the drop down bars on the Anyroad is that a better pick than the fastroad, considering the $400 difference in price? I would say at least 20% of my riding is on beaten paths and such and it's the kind of riding I find most enjoable because of scenery and absence of cars. I'm kind of warming up to the Anyroad due to the price difference and bc it has brakes in various positions.
the anyroad has mechanical brakes which don't have the strong stopping action of the hydraulics, so there's a tradeoff there. The fast road would probably feel a little bit more at home if the beaten paths involve steeper sections. And the Anyroad doesn't have the D-fuse feature, which does do something. And you're right it the drop bar looks a bit odd on that frame...I'd more likely go for a traditional frame style like the Trek Crossrip if looking at the Anyroad.

decisions decisions
Nov 21, 2017
439 posts
370 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
May 13th, 2018 5:42 pm
the anyroad has mechanical brakes which don't have the strong stopping action of the hydraulics, so there's a tradeoff there. The fast road would probably feel a little bit more at home if the beaten paths involve steeper sections. And the Anyroad doesn't have the D-fuse feature, which does do something. And you're right it the drop bar looks a bit odd on that frame...I'd more likely go for a traditional frame style like the Trek Crossrip if looking at the Anyroad.

decisions decisions
Yeah, it's rather difficult. The AnyRoad does actually have disk brakes. I'm curious what that d-fuse feature does. Despite the higher cost, The Fastroad would be a no-brainer for me if it came with slightly thicker tires (32 or above). At that price, it's too bad the customer can't select his own tires width for free. The sales guy was strongly dissuading me from taking the Fastroad on any kind of trails or beaten paths. Also, I'm not sure if the ALUXX-SLR (giant's lightest aluminum frame) is the best for gravel or beaten paths. Decisions, decisions.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11081 posts
1986 upvotes
Ottawa
thelasthunter wrote:
May 13th, 2018 7:47 pm
Yeah, it's rather difficult. The AnyRoad does actually have disk brakes. I'm curious what that d-fuse feature does. Despite the higher cost, The Fastroad would be a no-brainer for me if it came with slightly thicker tires (32 or above). At that price, it's too bad the customer can't select his own tires width for free. The sales guy was strongly dissuading me from taking the Fastroad on any kind of trails or beaten paths. Also, I'm not sure if the ALUXX-SLR (giant's lightest aluminum frame) is the best for gravel or beaten paths. Decisions, decisions.
the anyroad has mechanical disk brakes.
the fastroad has hydraulic disk brakes.

D-fuse allows the seat tube to flex thus adding comfort.

it's their version of Trek's Isospeed mechanism which decouples the seat tube allowing vertical compliance and effectively takes the edge off the bumps. It's effectively a very minor suspension without moving parts. I have it on my Trek Domane bike

I'm sure the frame is fine for any kind of paths, until you fall, then all bets are off!
Jul 30, 2016
9 posts
2 upvotes
Have you considered the Giant TCX SLR 2? I have a 2014 model that I am considering selling...
Feb 9, 2005
638 posts
35 upvotes
Was at Bike Zone Mississauga looking for MTB tires, didn't pick up anything Happen to notice they have a crap load of shoes on sale. Some clearance, many 30% to 50% off. But beware those discounts are on shoe prices that are reg $200+. Just in case someone is on the market for new shoes. Obviously sizing will be limited.