• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2018 4:06 pm
Feb 10, 2003
828 posts
214 upvotes
Calgary
thelasthunter wrote:
May 12th, 2018 7:59 pm
Yeah, I think losing the suspension and having a carbon fork (like the FX3) is like a 10 lbs difference in weight. I think I've outgrown the Roam and it now feels a tad sluggish to me.
I have a 2013 Giant Roam 2 which I use for winter commuting and Chariot towing. I feel like I'm outgrowing it too in the same way (feels sluggish commuting vs my road bike). Based on a bit of research, swapping out the suspension fork for a carbon fork would save about 4 lbs (I've contemplated getting a China carbon fork off ebay for about $100). Personally, I don't think there's much gain to be had without switching to more aero geometry, as weight really only slows you down accelerating and going uphill.

I'll probably replace my Roam with a cyclocross bike if I can find something with granny gearing to pull 50lbs of Chariot and toddler uphill.
Mar 29, 2007
148 posts
15 upvotes
I see racer sportif has a 40th anniversary sale. www.racersportif.com quick look at the sale, seems like there are some decent deals on wheelsets and entry level bikes. bmc slr03 and granfondo tiagras seem to be a decent deal for a name brand bike.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1437 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
I have a pair of Giro Empire SLX that I ordered off chainreactioncycles in size 42. Figured that since I'm a 42 in other brands these would fit me just fine but they are a little too snug on me. If anyone is interested in them I'm willing to let them go for $220. Haven't worn them out yet so they are practically brand new. Still deciding if I should go for a ride with them and see if I'm okay with the snugness.
I take pictures of stuff ; flickr
Mar 29, 2007
148 posts
15 upvotes
Just saw that specialized is having a deal where you buy 1 tire and u get the second free. Pretty darn good deal. For anyone riding the tires that came stock on their bike, nicer tires can have a perceptible improvement. I hear sworks turbo cottons are nice. Might be the time to try them.
Mar 16, 2018
54 posts
39 upvotes
Hamilton
Big shout outs to r1lee for referring me for a great price on a Giant Defy Advanced 2; loving the bike!

Where do people get their jerseys from? Looking to get something a bit more fun.
Apr 10, 2017
553 posts
191 upvotes
TomKat2 wrote:
May 15th, 2018 12:40 pm
I see racer sportif has a 40th anniversary sale. www.racersportif.com quick look at the sale, seems like there are some decent deals on wheelsets and entry level bikes. bmc slr03 and granfondo tiagras seem to be a decent deal for a name brand bike.
I love dealing with RS especially the Oakville location, but they gotta get real with the prices their new-old stock bikes

I do find their clothing deals to be better than most stores in the GTA.
Nov 10, 2005
178 posts
77 upvotes
Any recommendations on a road bike that can handle some moderate terrain and broken roads, etc. roughly in the $1,000-$1,300 range?

I was looking at the Trek Crossrip. Any opinions on that or other recommendations?
Sep 10, 2006
191 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
berklon wrote:
May 20th, 2018 6:24 pm
Any recommendations on a road bike that can handle some moderate terrain and broken roads, etc. roughly in the $1,000-$1,300 range?

I was looking at the Trek Crossrip. Any opinions on that or other recommendations?
I bought the Trek Crossrip 3 last year and now wish I had gotten the Domane instead. The Crossrip has some weird sizing where the reach is quite long so after i had a bike fit done, they put on a much shorter stem. (110cm vs 70cm)
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11231 posts
2100 upvotes
Ottawa
spider78 wrote:
May 20th, 2018 6:32 pm
I bought the Trek Crossrip 3 last year and now wish I had gotten the Domane instead. The Crossrip has some weird sizing where the reach is quite long so after i had a bike fit done, they put on a much shorter stem. (110cm vs 70cm)
they have a new Checkpoint ALR line which are the upgrade path from the Crossrip.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1860 posts
36 upvotes
I've been all over the board looking at new/used hybrid fitness /dual sport bikes in the sub 500 range (specialized, trek, giant, marin, khs, norco, northrock)

Think I've narrowed down to a Jamis. The used ones keep getting snatched up before I can go see and u seem to get more value for similar price point vs. other brands for brand new.

Is this 2016 version of the Jamis allegro sport worth the extra $ over the 2017:

2016: http://www.rbinc-sports.com/catalog/bik ... egro-sport

2017: http://www.rbinc-sports.com/catalog/bik ... egro-sport

I've also been debating for a long time whether to go with a hybrid fitness or a dual sport like their dxt:

http://www.rbinc-sports.com/catalog/bik ... -dxt-sport

I want something fast. I average between 16-20km/hr on a 20 yr old supercycle mtb I got for free and looking for something more.

But my daily commute has a partial light trails/grass/curb. Heard feedback in this thread of people "outgrowing" the dual sport and also mixed feedback whether the hybrid fitness ones can do the minor off road trails.

Also the parts on the dual sports seem lower end vs. Fitness version across all brands. So not sure if it's worth the tradeoff.

Any experience with Jamis vs. Other brands for comparable model?
Sep 27, 2003
9087 posts
2003 upvotes
Newmarket
superock wrote:
May 17th, 2018 2:05 pm
I have a pair of Giro Empire SLX that I ordered off chainreactioncycles in size 42. Figured that since I'm a 42 in other brands these would fit me just fine but they are a little too snug on me. If anyone is interested in them I'm willing to let them go for $220. Haven't worn them out yet so they are practically brand new. Still deciding if I should go for a ride with them and see if I'm okay with the snugness.
Same thing happened with me (with the size 44).
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Sep 27, 2003
9087 posts
2003 upvotes
Newmarket
Biscayne05 wrote:
May 20th, 2018 3:38 pm
I love dealing with RS especially the Oakville location, but they gotta get real with the prices their new-old stock bikes

I do find their clothing deals to be better than most stores in the GTA.
I frequent RS regularly, I've known Frank for years. Knows his stuff, and an expert when it comes to proper fittings.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 6, 2011
520 posts
754 upvotes
superock wrote:
May 17th, 2018 2:05 pm
WorldIRC wrote:
May 24th, 2018 8:17 pm
Same thing happened with me (with the size 44).
Empire SLX is sized small compared to major brands like Shimano, Specialized, and Sidi. Empire SLX has a very cramped toebox. I have the Giro Prolight Techlace and that's sized bigger than major brand. Giro's sizing is all over the place.

For roomy toebox, Shimano and Bont is the way to go. Bont's "regular sizing" is wide and their "wide" sizing is even wider. Bont is also DIY heat moldable using your own convection oven. Shoes are something you should always try in store and buy online if the store is unwilling to price match.
Sep 27, 2003
9087 posts
2003 upvotes
Newmarket
isgaard wrote:
May 25th, 2018 2:31 am
Empire SLX is sized small compared to major brands like Shimano, Specialized, and Sidi. Empire SLX has a very cramped toebox. I have the Giro Prolight Techlace and that's sized bigger than major brand. Giro's sizing is all over the place.

For roomy toebox, Shimano and Bont is the way to go. Bont's "regular sizing" is wide and their "wide" sizing is even wider. Bont is also DIY heat moldable using your own convection oven. Shoes are something you should always try in store and buy online if the store is unwilling to price match.
Yep, the toebox is my issue. Rest of the shoe is fine. I may go check out the Specialized S-Works 7 today. Sporting Life has my size in stock in both standard and wide. No cheaper to buy online since Specialized doesn't allow online sales.

I could check out the Shimano S-Phyre as well, a couple stores carry it locally but its definitely cheaper to buy from the usual UK vendors (about $100-$120 savings after tax & import).
RFD Forums Moderator