Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2018 4:06 pm
Sep 27, 2003
9087 posts
2003 upvotes
Newmarket
Picked up the Specialized shoes. Toebox fits much better than the Giro's (which I guess I now have for sale)
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Mar 29, 2007
148 posts
15 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
May 25th, 2018 3:55 pm
Picked up the Specialized shoes. Toebox fits much better than the Giro's (which I guess I now have for sale)
u get the sagan colorway? that one is particularly flash
Sep 27, 2003
9087 posts
2003 upvotes
Newmarket
TomKat2 wrote:
May 25th, 2018 11:35 pm
u get the sagan colorway? that one is particularly flash
The Sagan's do look nice, but no, just the plain black for me.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Apr 10, 2017
553 posts
191 upvotes
I just wanted to share my good experience with ChainReactionCycle's (UK site) DHL Duty Paid service.

I paid basically $3.10 for a 2 day shipping service counting in their "duties paid" (I work in the industry and did my calculation). It's just less headache in the end.

Maybe I'm just too ecstatic having been on a 1.5yr hiatus off racing and buying bike parts, but this is awesome. Not sure if Ribble, Wiggle (CRC's now parent company), PBK or Merlin does this - if they do, please advise
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2001
2753 posts
184 upvotes
Brantford
I'm in my 50's, haven't been on a bike for years but looking for a very comfortable bike to use 3 times per week on asphalt trails behind my house. I have found in the past that my posterior gets sore quickly in spite of being fit and being less than 75kg. I walk at least an hour a day but want to change my routine by biking half the time.

I'm outside of the GTA and don't want to spend more than $500 and would be happy to buy a used bike in great shape.

I think an upright position with a wide cushioned seat that has some back support and springs would be ideal, but I'm ignorant when it comes to bikes.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11231 posts
2100 upvotes
Ottawa
cannon_fodder wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 1:32 pm
I'm in my 50's, haven't been on a bike for years but looking for a very comfortable bike to use 3 times per week on asphalt trails behind my house. I have found in the past that my posterior gets sore quickly in spite of being fit and being less than 75kg. I walk at least an hour a day but want to change my routine by biking half the time.

I'm outside of the GTA and don't want to spend more than $500 and would be happy to buy a used bike in great shape.

I think an upright position with a wide cushioned seat that has some back support and springs would be ideal, but I'm ignorant when it comes to bikes.
You're in Oakville. The answer to your question is Giant Escape and you want to ask r1lee on this forum for a referral to get a good price in Oakville. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/bikes-escape

As for the seat, the default seat should be fine, but you can always get a slightly more padded one. Don't go too padded because those seats can actually be worse because there is too much material and then there's chafing.. You want something that still supports some of your weight on the sit bones. You may feel sore for the first few rides because your butt isn't use to it but it does get more comfy over time. I have a bike seat which I can ride hours on but the first time I get on it after spring I feel sore.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4355 posts
318 upvotes
Looking for some pro input about upgrading my bike. I am casual user and bike fast in the city. Just for some thrill and a good sweat after a slow day in the office. I currently have a Specialized Allez Sport 2011 or 2012. While it does the job, I wouldn't mind seeing what modern bikes offer.

Budget is $2000 to $3000. Prefer an endurance road bike. My size is medium frame. Would like to stick with brands such as Cervelo, BMC, or Specialized and be able to pickup in Toronto store brand new (I have never got a proper fitting done). Although brands have different fits and fit is most important, perhaps I would have to test a few other brands instead of being picky.

Hope to hear some opinions from the veterans here :D
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
11231 posts
2100 upvotes
Ottawa
1xTiMeR wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 8:02 pm
Budget is $2000 to $3000. Prefer an endurance road bike. My size is medium frame. Would like to stick with brands such as Cervelo, BMC, or Specialized
Those are all good choices...have you tried or ridden them? I would say the Roubaix is the most comfortable of those choices. Also, if you can, try out a Trek Domane SL5 which has the front and rear Isospeed as well as a complete 105 groupset including even the chain. The Isospeed feature is unique and really does have an effect.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4355 posts
318 upvotes
warpdrive wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 8:38 pm
Those are all good choices...have you tried or ridden them? I would say the Roubaix is the most comfortable of those choices. Also, if you can, try out a Trek Domane SL5 which has the front and rear Isospeed as well as a complete 105 groupset including even the chain. The Isospeed feature is unique and really does have an effect.
Dang, I just read a few reviews and Youtube video about Isospeed. I think I will call up Trek tomorrow and see if they have one I can test ride. Isospeed seems to be a better option considering the city is full of bumps and any comfort is most welcomed!
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4355 posts
318 upvotes
Swerny wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 10:28 pm
Giant Defy Advanced
Giant is best bang for the buck on that price range
Will test this guy too! Thanks
Dec 19, 2009
669 posts
101 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been looking to get a dedicated road bike for about a month now. Coming from a steel touring bike. Have an opportunity to get a used 2010 Scott CR1 Pro bike for $800. From my research that seems to be a solid deal. Any input?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4355 posts
318 upvotes
1xTiMeR wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 8:21 pm

Dang, I just read a few reviews and Youtube video about Isospeed. I think I will call up Trek tomorrow and see if they have one I can test ride. Isospeed seems to be a better option considering the city is full of bumps and any comfort is most welcomed!
1xTiMeR wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 8:22 pm
Will test this guy too! Thanks
Ended up trying the Roubaix, Defy, and Domane SL 5 today. Ended up going with the Roubaix. The comfort is really noticable and I think it would be a step forward in terms of getting something that felt very different from my Allez. For my needs in the bumpy roads of Toronto, I think I made the right choice. However, not really a fan of the disc breaks. I hope the burn-in will improve it. Thanks for the input guys!
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
1734 posts
569 upvotes
Canada
Swerny wrote:
Jun 8th, 2018 10:28 pm
Giant Defy Advanced
Giant is best bang for the buck on that price range
I just bought a Giant Escape 3 for my 10km daily commute to work.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
20803 posts
5635 upvotes
Toronto
1xTiMeR wrote:
Jun 10th, 2018 11:10 pm
Ended up trying the Roubaix, Defy, and Domane SL 5 today. Ended up going with the Roubaix. The comfort is really noticable and I think it would be a step forward in terms of getting something that felt very different from my Allez. For my needs in the bumpy roads of Toronto, I think I made the right choice. However, not really a fan of the disc breaks. I hope the burn-in will improve it. Thanks for the input guys!
where did you end up trying those bikes from ? Did you get any discount from the shop ?