Sports & Recreation

RFD Cycling Thread [OFFICIAL]

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2018 11:31 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4281 posts
287 upvotes
Sweet Petes for the Trek and Giant. Bike Depot for the Speacialized. I got a slight discount on the bike and % off accessories since I was gearing up with bike, shoes, lights, helmets there so I was covered :D
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
20179 posts
5067 upvotes
Toronto
1xTiMeR wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 10:51 am
Sweet Petes for the Trek and Giant. Bike Depot for the Speacialized. I got a slight discount on the bike and % off accessories since I was gearing up with bike, shoes, lights, helmets there so I was covered :D
thanks. I was about to head over to Bike depot yesterday (Sunday) but had to change plan in the last second.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4281 posts
287 upvotes
Err the Roubaix is def not a fast bike. Going to return this and exchange it for either a CAAD12 105 or Tarmac Sport.

Anyone have opinions on either of these bikes?
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2350 posts
316 upvotes
Mississauga
1xTiMeR wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 11:46 am
Err the Roubaix is def not a fast bike. Going to return this and exchange it for either a CAAD12 105 or Tarmac Sport.

Me thinks its the engine powering this bike thats at fault and not the bike itself.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
20179 posts
5067 upvotes
Toronto
1xTiMeR wrote:

bike is too heavy ?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7696 posts
183 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:29 pm
Me thinks its the engine powering this bike thats at fault and not the bike itself.
lmao
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4281 posts
287 upvotes
I ride an Allez Sport right now and I can tell you, 100%, I can sprint faster than myself Sprinting on a Roubaix. Roubaix is not a racing speed bike. It is an endurance bike. It was my mistake to buy the wrong type tbh.
Mar 29, 2007
146 posts
15 upvotes
1xTiMeR wrote:

The roubaix is an endurance bike and when properly fitted your position would be more upright. As well the bike is tuned more for comfort, stability and absorption of bumps. Maybe when you say its not fast, what you mean it doesnt feel as responsive. A race bike will have sharper handling and probably be more stiff. Stomp on the pedals and it reacts rather than feels sluggish. I think both the CAAD12 and Tarmac will feel faster but with entry level race bikes the heavy stock wheels will be the main thing holding it back. Maybe you should also check out the allez sprint.
Jan 20, 2010
285 posts
14 upvotes
I have a model just below the S-Works Roubaix. It's the Roubaix Expert. It suits all my personal needs and comfort as well.

I'm an endurance/distance rider and like to be fast while not sacrificing comfort. I double wrapped my handlebars and even put 26mm tires on my bike. By no means do I personally think the Roubaix is "slow" .

I've ridden Tarmac as well but haven't spent as much time on it as my Roubaix. So my opinion is a bit biased.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2350 posts
316 upvotes
Mississauga
TomKat2 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 2:25 pm
The roubaix is an endurance bike and when properly fitted your position would be more upright. As well the bike is tuned more for comfort, stability and absorption of bumps. Maybe when you say its not fast, what you mean it doesnt feel as responsive. A race bike will have sharper handling and probably be more stiff. Stomp on the pedals and it reacts rather than feels sluggish. I think both the CAAD12 and Tarmac will feel faster but with entry level race bikes the heavy stock wheels will be the main thing holding it back. Maybe you should also check out the allez sprint.
Bottom line is that EVERY single one of these bikes will be just as fast in the right hands. What you get from the Roubaix is comfort on longer rides and more of that twitchy feel from the others because of more aggressive geometry.
Mar 29, 2007
146 posts
15 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 3:32 pm
Bottom line is that EVERY single one of these bikes will be just as fast in the right hands. What you get from the Roubaix is comfort on longer rides and more of that twitchy feel from the others because of more aggressive geometry.
Just my 2 cents. Twitchy bikes are more fun. Snappy. Responsive. It might 'feel' faster even though ultimately you will still just get to the finish line at the same time.

Between those 2 bikes, if you dont already have a carbon bike Id get the tarmac.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4281 posts
287 upvotes
booblehead wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 12:47 pm

bike is too heavy ?
Despite having a carbon frame, it was heavier than my allez sport which I think is 19lb

Edit: Ordered a CAAD12. I think it will be a sweet upgrade from my Allez!
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
4281 posts
287 upvotes
TomKat2 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 2:25 pm
The sprint would have been fun to test out but I am very late into the game of buying a bike :(

Very limited colors and sizes left at this time or else I'd consider the Sprint
Feb 5, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
Where do you guys get cheap jerseys from? I live in Ottawa and have access to sporting life, mec, bushtakah and other smaller independent stores but prices are fairly high.
Oct 19, 2012
131 posts
52 upvotes
Montr
brickpreviews wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 10:34 pm
Where do you guys get cheap jerseys from? I live in Ottawa and have access to sporting life, mec, bushtakah and other smaller independent stores but prices are fairly high.
AliExpress or dhgate, all my Jerseys are from China. They are way too expensive in cycling shops. Exception being maybe sale items at online retailers. But mostly just Chinese jerseys. Cool designs and 'good enough' quality